The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Steam controller..

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/27/va...ler/#continued

the fuck is this shit!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
bujeezus

veddy intelestink.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
progmetal
!

Awesome!

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Seraph
>:3

I'm more excited for this than I should be.

Obviously it is not a great fit for all genres but for many PC games this will be a great way to play from the couch. I've been trying to play Borderlands 2 from the couch for a few weeks now and there is not comfortable way to do it. I either have a keyboard rest on my lap with a mouse off to the side, or I wrestle with slow dual analogs and constantly over aim.

If Valve can sell me an affordable, console-sized box that performs better than building a PC for the same price, I'm in. I'd actually start to buy most of my major games on steam instead of consoles.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Dj Jimmi Zero

Slow analogues huh? I didn't have issue with using a 360 controller on BL2, and while keyboard and mouse is optimal, it isn't really necessary for a game like BL2. Oh yeah, welcome back, how you been?

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Drunken Savior

I don't know what to think about this. Immediately I think that integrating a touch screen in a standard size controller is useful, but it increases the cost. The placement of the main buttons (A,B,X,Y) seem awkward, as I'm not really used to pushing buttons with my left thumb. And I have no idea how controlling using those dual trackpads will feel, even with some physical feedback via the haptic capability.

But I did love one particular question on their FAQ for it's cheeky nature:

I’m a happy Steam customer happily using my happy mouse and keyboard. I don’t want a controller?
You can’t make a sentence into a question by just putting a question-mark at the end. But we’re happy you’re happy, and by all means keep using whatever input method makes sense for you. Rest assured, we won’t abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

you guys do realise this is a haptic feedback controller right?

much in the same way you have haptic braille pads that can send vibrational dots across a surface simulating and stimulating the feeling of touch.

imagine running your finger across a future iphoone device and feeling each of the little app squares sticking out of the screen, even with enough sensitivity and tactile dpi the very icons themselves.

imagine lara croft scaling a rock face and actually feeling the roughness of the rock with your thumbs, or special waveforms for water or explosive shockwaves.

its interesting, adds another dimension.

you could even have virtual haptic buttons appear under your fingers that are invisible to the eye but you can feel.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Drunken Savior

Well, I'm really hoping I get selected to Beta test it. I've never been struck by lightening or won the lotto, so maybe I am due? But I did win a Nickelodeon sweepstakes when I was a kid, so maybe I used all my lifetime random luck up then?

I want to play around with it to see if the latency is significant. This thing has a big hurdle to climb because the Xbox One controller is virtually perfect for most modern games that need a controller, minus the crappy d-pad.

Also, here's a nifty image that illustrates how you'll be using this controller when your thumbs are being used on the trackpads.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/28/s...dev-reactions/

Steam Controller in use

We've only known about the Steam Controller for 24 hours, but it turns out a variety of developers already got a chance to put the controller to use ahead of the lucky 300 beta participants later this year. The devs we spoke with didn't use the final format of the controller, but the non-touchscreen beta form seen above: four large buttons stand out in place of the clickable touchscreen panel (planned for the final version of Steam Controller). It's the version that will ship to those aforementioned 300 beta participants later this year, and it's the version that Valve is showing game developers ahead of anyone else. Follow us beyond the break and find out what they had to say.

John Clark, Sega VP PC Digital (US / Europe):
Initially very sensitive, however, you settle quickly and the track pads do feel great. Remembering, it's a prototype and the purpose of the beta is for the developers to experiment. We're really looking forward to seeing how it fares with PC RTS titles which are traditionally mouse and keyboard. We're excited to see the results!

James Schall, Sega Director Digital Distribution (US / Europe):
First impression: great to handle the beta controller, the touch pads are incredibly responsive and I would imagine that once used to it, it could deliver higher performance for the gamer.

Ichiro Lambe, Dejobaan Games president:
On how it feels: It feels comfortable, yet different from anything I've used before. They did a really good job of simulating physical controls through the haptic feedback -- ideally, this means that the controller will morph into whatever you need it to based on how you program it.

Benefit as a game developer / Major differences from other controllers / Its greatest strength: We primarily develop our games for mouse and keyboard, and when we think about adding gamepad support, it's a matter of mitigating loss of control. For instance, WASD+mouselook excels over a traditional gamepad for precise camera control or when navigating complex user interfaces. The Steam Controller largely does away with a gamepad's weaknesses there.

Within five minutes of picking it up, I went from newbie to controlling an FPS camera better than I'd ever done with a gamepad.

On ease of development: Dunno yet! Most of what Valve creates (Steamworks API) is pretty developer friendly, so I don't see why this would be any different. Having worked with haptic feedback before (with the Novint Falcon some years ago), I think there'll probably be some learning curve there as developers experiment to find what (literally) feels right.

What'd you see at Valve: They had a few units out for our visit (an earlier one was 3D printed and therefore cruder than what we played with), but the then-latest device was close to what we see in the announcement images (save for the touchscreen, which was four physical buttons). We spoke to one of Valve's engineers, who said that they'd tried a number of different forms, some of which had the player's hands at unusual orientations.

The Steam Controller's weakness: I think analog sticks are better at defining boundaries -- for instance, I can mash a stick forward as far as I physically can, and I know I'm going to walk forward as quickly as I can. I just can't push it forward any further. The trackpads require more finesse; my thumbs will have to learn where to stop.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy Refenes, Team Meat co-founder, wrote a lengthy piece about his experience with the controller right here. He played both his own game, Super Meat Boy, as well as notoriously difficult and precision-oriented Spelunky. While Refenes said he still prefers the Xbox 360 gamepad to Valve's beta controller, "it's more about the comfort of familiarity over functionality," given his "several thousand hours experience" using the 360 gamepad. That said, Refenes was able to easily navigate the perilous depths of Spelunky using the Steam Controller -- no small feat even with the best of gamepads. "I played through Spelunky and the controller worked great," he says.

We've got feelers out to several other developers who've used Valve's prototype game controller and we're updating this piece as we hear back. Gamasutra's also got a piece right here collecting reactions from a variety of indie developers who've spent time with the beta controller!
It sounds pretty fascinating but also very pricey.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
I want to play around with it to see if the latency is significant. This thing has a big hurdle to climb because the Xbox One controller is virtually perfect for most modern games that need a controller, minus the crappy d-pad.
I have said that a billion time to thousands of people. THEY ALREADY FIXED THE D-PAD! that was back in 2010 that almost 4 years now. why no one listens!?

My friend who is an "xbox" player did the same thing. I looked him in the eyes and told him clearly and repetitively that they changed and fixed the D-pad but he wouldn't listen or believe it. When I saw him the next time he suddenly "already know it" and even know the exact date as he didn't obviously Google it!

You know what this is too much to bare, he deserves punishment. I am going to his house and pwn him for good!!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Chronos
fuggit

Looks...different, but I think I'll be sticking with a keyboard and mouse and / or ps3 controller. Ps3 controller even works wirelessly with the PC as long as you get the right kind of bluetooth adapter.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe View Post
I have said that a billion time to thousands of people. THEY ALREADY FIXED THE D-PAD! that was back in 2010 that almost 4 years now. why no one listens!?

My friend who is an "xbox" player did the same thing. I looked him in the eyes and told him clearly and repetitively that they changed and fixed the D-pad but he wouldn't listen or believe it. When I saw him the next time he suddenly "already know it" and even know the exact date as he didn't obviously Google it!

You know what this is too much to bare, he deserves punishment. I am going to his house and pwn him for good!!
I'm sorry Paper. You're right. I keep forgetting they redid the d-pad a few years ago, mostly because I still use my launch controllers and I don't even play my 360 anymore (it's in the closet with the Wii now, the PS3 is the only console under the TV atm. The "16-bit" box is actually ABOVE the '360' and 'Wii' box right now)

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Paper exe
Pwnd

Personally I find the steam controller to be interesting. a bit worried on the accuracy in movement but since we can already use any regular controller I feel change is the only option they have and they have done a quite a decent job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
I'm sorry Paper. You're right. I keep forgetting they redid the d-pad a few years ago, mostly because I still use my launch controllers and I don't even play my 360 anymore (it's in the closet with the Wii now, the PS3 is the only console under the TV atm. The "16-bit" box is actually ABOVE the '360' and 'Wii' box right now)
Hahaha that's cool no need to apologies I was just fooling around, sorry

Thu I still do need to pwn that friend of mine the next time I go to his place for being thick headed.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
calintz
thank you based god

calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
snickrep
i like hot dogs & juice

how much is steamos console? if you dont have a pc or mac you will only be able to play linux games.
snickrep is offline   Reply With Quote