The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Drunken Savior

[Ebay] Samsung 840 250GB SSD $129.99 (After $30 MIR)

Probably one of the best prices I've seen on a top-tier SSD (To me that's Intel, Samsung, or Kingston's Hyper X series) ever.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY THROUGH EBAY AND PAYPAL (CAN'T BLAME YOU), HERE'S A DIRECT LINK TO THE ITEM AT THE TIGER DIRECT STORE, THOUGH IT IS $10 MORE

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I do really want a SSD but I refuse to buy anything under 500gb. I just fill them up to fast.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Chronos
fuggit

Does an SSD only help with load times? I'll probably get one for my next build at some point, but seems like a pointless upgrade if that's all it does.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Dj Jimmi Zero

I want one for my ps3 as well as the PC, but I want more than 500 gigs.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Does an SSD only help with load times? I'll probably get one for my next build at some point, but seems like a pointless upgrade if that's all it does.
SSDs, in general, will dramatically read faster than HDD. This will decrease load times in games, the time it takes to open programs, transfer rates (so long as what is being transferred to doesn't bottleneck the speed), et cetera. The downside is that SSDs have a limited amount of writes per sector, so they aren't good for consistently writing to, that's why most people just use them to host the OS and programs since you generally read, not write to, program files. In comparison, HDDs have mechanical parts, meaning a good HDD is more susceptible to damage and has more possible points of weakness than a good SSD is.

Personally, they ARE a luxury item. But using an SSD over a HDD for programs will make a huge difference in your daily use. There ARE alternatives if you want the decreased BOOT time in your OS, but don't want limited space or want to pay the SSD premium. Seagate makes Hybrid drives that use regular HDD platters to store data, but use SSD chips as cache for your most used files (OS files) that are cheaper than SSDs. [1TB 2.5" form factor][1TB 3.5" form factor].

To compare speeds, here's a comparison between an Samsung 250GB 840 SSD and a Western Digital 1TB Black (7200rpm), all reads/writes are sequential tests, not random.

SSD: READ: 490 MB/s, WRITE: 130 MB/s
HDD: READ: 215 MB/s, WRITE: 135 MB/s

***Keep in mind that the Samsung 840 will write slower than other versions in Samsung 840 line. The 840 EVO and 840 PRO line can write up to 520 MB/s. But you obviously pay more for that.

Your mileage may vary, as each individual HDD or SSD will perform slightly differently (Use Crystal Disk Mark to test your storage devices for their Sequential speeds when you get them). I recommend this with any memory stick you get as well! Just because you have a USB 3.0 thumb drive, it doesn't mean you're going to go at USB 3.0 speeds, you might be paying for the USB 3.0 premium for USB 2.0 speeds! Always check what speeds people are getting with thumb drives before you buy!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Chronos
fuggit

I dunno I always just used dual 7200 RPM drives, one for OS and programs, and one for backup and random shit that I want to store like some movies and albums. Never even messed around with RAID setups or anything. Seemed more work for something I didn't really need. I'm fine with load times and boot speed being slightly slower. My PC already boots within 20 seconds (my estimate...never timed it or anything) which is fine for me.

Now, I've heard that SSD's significantly reduce in game stuttering in a lot of games. That's a sweet advantage. Like in PoE when I first log in I have to spam abilities in a zone first or I will get HD stutters for a couple minutes. I'm assuming someone who installed the game to a SSD wouldn't need to go through those hoops.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote