The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Dj Jimmi Zero

Steam OS!

Quote:
As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
bujeezus

so does this mean i won't have to upgrade to win7 to play all the games on steam? and it's free?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujeezus View Post
so does this mean i won't have to upgrade to win7 to play all the games on steam? and it's free?
Assuming you aren't running Windows in the first place, probably not. Steam OS will be based off Linux and they still would need Direct3D (As well as all the other APIs contained within DirectX) in order to play a lot of these games. Since DirectX APIs are proprietary and owned by Microsoft, it's unlikely that we'll see DirectX in Steam OS. As it stands, Microsoft probably won't license Steam DirectX since it would mean losing people buying copies of Windows.

In the future, however, it might mean more support for Open GL over DirectX, which is a open sourced API that will allow games to be run on multiple OS, such as OSX, Steam OS, Linux and Windows.

If you already have a Windows-based computer in your office, for example, then Steam OS on a Steambox is claiming to be able to display the game on your TV through your home network. Seems kind of like Chromecast built around gaming.

[Edit] And yes, it looks to be free. So you can build a small little Home Theater PC and make it capable for gaming by adding a beefy GPU and skip the costs of buying/upgrading Windows. It makes sense for Valve to do this if they want to get into the hardware business with Steambox. They don't want extra cost leveraged on them or the consumer by going to a 3rd party (e.g. Microsoft) for an OS to play games. But, like I mentioned before, there is still that DirectX hurdle that will need to be addressed for many existing games.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Pretty cool, I might build a miniPC to use this.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Drunken Savior

You'll still need a Windows based machine running DX11 to create the content that any Steam OS machine will stream if the game requires DX. Hopefully tomorrow, or Wednesday's, announcements will be address this in some what or another.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I figured that, I just made a computer that could easily stream any game on steam.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
Drunken Savior

Don't get me wrong, I do love having the option of streaming PC games through Steam instead of a 3rd party program. I could build a near silent HTPC/console streamer that simply pulls media off a home server or streams games off my louder machine that's in the other room, leaving the living room free of too much fan noise and heat.

I think any negativity I might be showing is because I'm hoping that whatever Valve's Steambox is will help people get over some of the hurdles of PC gaming (price, hardware configuring) and so far I'm not getting the vibe that we'll be significantly expanding the user base. But Valve's got two more surprises up its sleeve so we'll see.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
spider-prime

I know what you mean.
I've told tons of people you don't need to spend more than 800 dollars a awesome gaming computer. I've even built some for people, they have it in their heads that it costs 1200 and more, but I always have to tell them NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO those are freaks who hump their computers every day. They only care about having the best.

My brother had a 11 year old computer and it still can play games to this day that just came out, sure with all settings on low, but they still run just fine.

I built his new computer with the i5 4670k, I always get the better CPU, stupid not to. Since he doesn't care about the case or all the ports and features teh more expensive motherboards do, I got a decent enough one for 80 dollars

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=060765

got a geforce 650 cause he is too cheap to get a 760!

8 gigs of ram for 40 bucks, he doesn't download a lot but games over steam, so got a cheap HDD that was on sale for 45 dollars, 650 GBs

After all said and done, getting OS and bluray drive, etc, computer came up to almost 700 dollars after taxes.

Computer is great, no problems with it.

Plus, when the video cards needs updated, the awesome cards then for 150-200 dollars will be awesome compared to th 650.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Drunken Savior

Speaking of video cards, I'm curious to see what ATI's 'Hawaii' cards do to the market. They are going to be offering Titan power for around 80% of the price, rumors and leaks say.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
bujeezus

so basically all they are tryin to do is get steam in the living room or am i missing somethin here?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujeezus View Post
so basically all they are tryin to do is get steam in the living room or am i missing somethin here?
Yeah, mostly. Getting PC gaming directly into the living room has been a goal of Valve for awhile. Even though it is possible to do that now, the larger demographic of gamers aren't going to build a gaming PC to put near their TVs. However, the rise of small, homebuild, Home Theatre PC (HTPC) that play digital content have risen of late, but it's nowhere near convenient to satisfy the majority.

Another goal of Newell is to get PC gaming off of it's dependency of Windows, due to the fact that a lot of games use the propriety API DirectX (Sidenote, that's where the X in 'XBOX' got it's name), requiring Windows to play. As early as mid 2012, Gabe Newell has been working on moving PC gaming to this Linux based Steam OS. It's a pretty ambitious goal, one that Microsoft will fight tooth and nail over, since gamers represent a part of Windows userbase (though to what significance I am not too sure). Valve has already made their catalog mostly available on Linux.

My personal thoughts is that I can see what the Steam OS is aiming to achieve, but until you get games off the dependency of Direct X and move towards something like the open source Open GL API, gamers won't leave Windows. Valve will have to offer something to developers to sway them off Direct X and I don't see where developers get enough to sway them with Steam OS. It's been known that Valve is working on a new gaming engine, Source 2. My pie in the sky dreams is that Source 2 will be have an inexpensive license for developers to use and that it will have to feature Open GL, which means developers get an inexpensive engine to make their games on (decreased expense for the developers) but their games don't lose their audience, in fact it just grows (increased profits). Valve would take a hit in getting licensing fees, but they push their adgenda (moving gaming away from Windows) in the long run. But we'll see...they still have 2 announcements left.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: