The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Does anyone know of any good motherboards?

Trying to decide, everyone I've been somewhat interested in have mixed reviews. So I'm going to pass on those.

It's for a LGA1150 socket, I'm getting a i7 4770k CPU.

So I want something that gets the most out of it. I was going to wait till I got to the store to ask what they think I should get...but then I thought about it and they will only want me to buy what they want me to buy and not what I want.

So any good choices out there?

I hate looking up motherboards. Only thing I haven't decided on yet.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Drunken Savior

Well tell us what you are looking out of it.

Overlocking? What features do you want? Lots of USB 3.0 ports? Better Audio than Realtek? Video outputs via Intel HD? All 6 GB/s SATA ports? Room for SLI/CF? Any brands you're looking to avoid? How much are you looking to spend?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
Dj Jimmi Zero

I'm building a new PC as well, I have overheating issues with my current setup and the parts are a little old. What do you think of these parts?

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131876
Tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146097
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113284

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
Drunken Savior

All of those parts look fine but it's too rich for my blood! I wish I could throw around that kind of money on a machine, haha. Do you O/C for fun or is there something you do with the extra gained processing?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I'm tied between
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=060868

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=060730

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813130693

These are basically what I'm looking for, I think the MSI MB is very nice. I might go with that one.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Drunken Savior

Can't go wrong with either the Asus or the MSI. I do like that the Asus has only USB 3.0 ports and built in wifi. But it's arguable that you won't be taking advantage of both of those features.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
spider-prime

Yah that's what I figured with them also. Having over 4 USB 3.0 ports are all I really need and the built in wifi I already read is crap and I already have another wifi card from my old computer that I'm just going to switch over.

Plus, I like that the MSI has soundblaster drivers instead of realtek, I've only had problems with realtek drivers that I went out and bought a soundblaster sound card. Never had a problem since.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Dj Jimmi Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
All of those parts look fine but it's too rich for my blood! I wish I could throw around that kind of money on a machine, haha. Do you O/C for fun or is there something you do with the extra gained processing?
I work on Photoshop, Maya, and Cubase from time to time, I also like the extra power so my games are future proofed. Everything in my current setup is made for overclocking except for the CPU, and the motherboard itself is ready for AM3+ cpu's.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Drunken Savior

Well to be fair, a $250 case doesn't provide any benefit to any of that over a $100 case. ;) You can find a case that provides excellent space, airflow, or silence for $150.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Dj Jimmi Zero

Your right, but I really like the case, it's fancy n'stuff, and it's perfect for the liquid cooler that I'm getting.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
progmetal
!

I bought an asus z77v mobo with built in wifi. Best wifi i ever had. Been so dissapointed in alot of the usb thingies.

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmetal View Post
I bought an asus z77v mobo with built in wifi. Best wifi i ever had. Been so dissapointed in alot of the usb thingies.
Additionally, as silly as it seems, I'm actually out of USB ports in the back of my machine. And I'd like to add other PCI cards if I could. Using either a USB port or a PCI slot for wifi seems like a waste for me. I'm not planning on getting a new mobo anytime soon, maybe 2017 or so, but when I do, I'm probably putting a high emphasis on a built in wifi solution over PCI or USB.

The ultimate irony of all of that is that I use a wired connection 90% of the time, unless I bring my tower to a LAN which is like only 3 times a year.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
spider-prime

That's what I was planning to do is buy a USB port for a PCI-E 1x slot. They are on sale at the store for 10 dollars.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
spider-prime

fuckkk finally finished building this new computer and modular PSU are funny when you don't actually plug them in correctly lol I kept swithcing everything around thinking I didn't plug them in right and then I released..... I FORGOT TO PLUG THEM INTO THE PSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

So here I am thinking the new Geforce 770 GTX that I got was broken, but it was cause I forgot to plug in the one PCI-E power cord..... That's what I get for doing this at 5 in the morning.

I got the MSI board, works great, I love it's bios menus, makes it really easy to change things compared to other bios for computers I had, very easy to overclock.

I forgot to buy a PCI-E 1x wifi card, cause I forgot to check if it had a PCI slot which it doesn't, so I can't use my wifi card till I get a new one. oh well, I have a long enough cord for now for the net.Downloading some games now to see how well this will work.

I also got some of the I/O shield in the back jammed these little things into the ports, too annoying ot unplug everything so I said FUCK IT! I'm chopping those things off!

GAHHHHHHHHHH! But overall, great new computer. very fast, Windows 7 boots up in 8 secs. For now anyways till I start loading this HDD full of stuff
Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Drunken Savior

I don't think you ever told us the specs! Also, good choice on a modular PSU, makes cable management a breeze if you have a decent case. And yeah, my ASUS mobo has one of those visual bios (I forgot the name EFUI or something) and it's nice to use a mouse on the bios, haha.

Congrats on the new build. Now test everything!

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: