The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Drunken Savior

Batman: Arkham Origins ditches GFWL for Steam on PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://uk.gamespot.com/news/batman-arkham-origins-ditches-gfwl-for-steam-on-pc-6413149

Batman: Arkham Origins ditches GFWL for Steam on PC
August 19, 2013 2:07AM PDT
By Martin Gaston, News Editor

Batman: Arkham Origins on the PC will not require the use of Microsoft's Games for Windows Live, Warner Bros. has confirmed.

The PC version of the game will instead use Valve's Steamworks to manage achievements and multiplayer, Warner Bros. has said to IGN. Both Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City previously used the GFWL service on PC.

Warner Bros. did not mention if Batman: Arkham Origins would make use of other Steamworks features, such as cloud saves, Steam Trading Cards, and Big Picture support.

The single-player portion of Batman: Arkham Origins is being developed by Warner Bros. Montreal, with the multiplayer component being handled by UK developer Splash Damage.

Last week Microsoft confirmed that its efforts to retire its Microsoft Points currency would mean that GFWL users will soon be unable to purchase games from the Xbox.com store.

The recently-unveiled Batman: Arkham Origins collector's edition will also be unavailable on PC when the game launches on October 25.
THANK GOD! Games For Windows LIVE has been the worst form of DRM available to PC gamers. Poorly supported, riddled with constant patches, and poorly implemented. Switching to Steam is very, very nice. I'm hoping this, along with the Games of Windows Store closing, is signs of Games for Windows going completely under.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Oh man this is such great news. I haaaaaated gfwl. I didn't realize I would need it for Arkham City and I screwed myself out of a save file when I couldn't log online to continue playing at home.

Though I am curious to what their newer plans are. They got some kind of new brass in charge of that division now and he was a higher up at Steam.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

Well it looks like the rumors of GFWL have more fuel for the fire. Apparently, the webpage for Age of Empires Online shows that Games For Windows Live is shutting down servers.

Furthermore, people looking into the code for the two earlier Arkham games show that the GFWL and maybe even SecureROM DRMs are being deactivated!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

How very interesting. So we could see a patch soon to remove it from my other Arkham games? Brilliant!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
bujeezus

you don't have to be online to play a game with gfwl. i can't remember the workaround for arkham asylum, but it works (saves an all). it'a a general workaround coz it worked for other gwfl games on my steam account too.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Dj Jimmi Zero

You create an offline profile, but that doesn't work with all games, oddly enough, this keeps you from getting banned when bootlegging or in Dark Souls' case, when you use the 60fps mod.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

My issue was I started the game when online and played it a good deal. Only one come home and need to be online. I couldn't connect so I couldn't play my game. I had to start over with a offline profile work around. Just made the entire service more of a waste of time.