The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Drunken Savior

SimCity

I'm still pretty upset about the 'always online' aspect of this new SimCity. But god damn....after watching about 4 hours of it, I hope it's as well received when more people get to run it through the works and Maxis polishes out the bugs.

I'll be looking for this game at its first big discount, for sure. I love the SimCity games. The first one I played was the Super Nintendo version, but I've put over 400 hours into SimCity 4. Hard to believe that game is a decade old.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I am most excited about its co-op feature. You and a friend can now run neighboring cities together. In which I thought was really cool. But the always on activation is a turn off.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

The guy who was streaming his game (TotalBiscuit) was constantly checking in on his wife's city, which was buying his garbage. I'm intrigued about it as well. It's one of the features I'm most interested in hearing about from other gamers.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Drunken Savior

Game is supposed to go live at 9:01pm PST. So far, Origin is failing...I'm afraid to restart the client...but perhaps I should.

[EDIT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19ou2z/alright_na_rsimcity_mayors_have_at_it/

MAXISJason
Update: We're investigating the problem. I will update you as soon as I have more information. Thank you for your patience.
And this is why you always let people who buy digital good download prior to release. This is the digital version of Black Friday Wallmart stampedes, haha.

[EDIT] Well 1 hour later and the download begins! Could have been worse. Of course, let's see how the servers handle thousands of people signing on once they download the game.

[EDIT] And after 43m I'm in.

[EDIT] Played for 3 glorious hours. So far I'm really impressed. Some parts seem dumbed down though. It's hard to really give a solid, accurate, review of this game without spending dozens of hours playing it and seeing what was tweaked and what wasn't. I was actually somewhat impressed with the launch. The first hour sucked, nothing happened. But then the game activated and it took me about 45m to download the entire game (a lot of the 'simulation' is done via cloud computing, I think). Didn't have a single problem during those 3 hours of gameplay. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

[EDIT] I woke up hearing about people having qeues to get into servers so I tried to get into the North American West Server. No problems. But let's see how it handles at 6-10pm, when people are home! Any game that requires an always online connection to a server will have this issues. So always take that into consideration when you want a new game. Ok, that's enough soap boxing. Soap boxing is for assholes. No one likes being lectured to, right?

Should I post some of my gameplay? Let me know.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:

Last edited by Drunken Savior; 03-05-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Post some game play as in videos? If yes, than yes please.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Drunken Savior

Yeah, I could do that. I was going to make a mining town today, so I'll try to capture the first 30m or so.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Name a landmark after me! It's my only demand.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Drunken Savior

Well I recorded the first 15 minutes or so of my mining town. I'll go through it tonight and add some narration and why I did the things I did. Expect the video around mid morning Thursday here.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #9
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Relevant.

http://www.gamechup.com/ea-refuses-t...s-account-ban/

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Drunken Savior

Please...tons of people are asking for refunds and getting them. One dude goes into a chat, acts like a dick to a customer service rep who has the digression to either approve or deny a rebate and gets told off. Hell, some people are getting refunds AND 15% codes to rebuy the game at a later date. I'm not trying to defend EA (or even this customer service rep), but if you act like a dick all the time, people are going to treat you like a cock. I bet people like the person above have never worked customer service. I'd bend over backwards to help someone who was nice and patient when I'm cleaning up someone else's mess. But if you came to me with an attitude, I'm gonna tow the company line hard and make the bare minimum effort to help you.

Fuck, I hate it when fuckers treat customer service rep poorly. These people probably agree with you and understand your frustration more than some rich group of producers, yet the bare the full brunt of the anger. You have a right to be angry over a very shitty release, just remember that you also have a choice of how to express your anger.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Drunken Savior

Welp, one big retailer is preventing EA from getting any more money from this. Today, Amazon has stopped selling SimCity via digital distribution, presumably until the server issues are fixed. Amazon itself also stopped selling physical copies, but you can still purchase one at Amazon through a 3rd party seller.

The launch of SimCity is quickly ascending the ranks amongst games with horrible launches, including Diablo III, Star Wars: Galaxies, Ultima Online, and even World of Warcraft. It's not like hyped online games have to have rocky launches either, Star Wars: The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 had pretty solid launches.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I've gotten to play it as much as I have so far?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
Drunken Savior

I recorded this yesterday morning.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
calintz
thank you based god

best review: http://www.jonathancresswell.co.uk/2...eview-simcity/
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Bearing in mind that EA went with the decision to make this new SimCity a mandatory online game, they are getting exactly what they deserve. So too will be the case should more games in the future, including on the next-gen consoles, force similar requirements upon consumers. Ultimately people speak loudest with their wallets. Treat your consumers with contempt and they will turn against you.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...backlash.shtml
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Drunken Savior

Just an update on the situation from what I've seen around the interwebs and anecdotally:

SimCity launches in the UK without major connectivity woes.
Probably has something to do with the region having 6 servers, compared to North America's 2, at launch. You can play on any of the servers, but your cities won't travel across servers...so anyone looking to work on a city past one session is essentially tied to a single server.

EA turns off SimCity's fastest gameplay mode as it struggles with servers.
'Cheetah' Mode has been disabled, probably to reduce the load request for simulating a city. You can still select it ingame, but it no longer runs any faster than the game's middle speed, 'rabbit.'

I was able to play from 10pm-4am last night on North American West 1 without any problems, minus a 15 minute time frame where I was disconnected from the servers but could still play. Made a 100K population mining town (continuing from the one in my video above). I was forced to play on 'rabbit' mode. I'll check in on my region today and see if anyone else joined 'Pandora.'

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: