The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Drunken Savior

Hours after release, mod community is working on a 1080p fix to Dark Souls

DOWNLOAD LINK, created by GAF member Durante

From this:
Click for full size

To this:
Click for full size

Comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=41336203#post41336203
What is it?
It's an interception d3d9.dll that you place in the same folder as the game executable. It intercepts the game's calls to the DirectX 9 API and changes them as necessary to enable a higher internal rendering resolution.

How do I use it?
Place d3d9.dll and DSfix.ini into the game's binary directory. (The place where DARKSOULS.exe is)
You can open DSfix.ini with a text editor to adjust the desired internal resolution.

Will it work?
So far, this has only been tested on my computer, on the first half hour or so of the game. I can not and will not guarantee that it will work for anyone else, or not have any adverse effect on your game/computer. Use at your own risk! If you encounter any issues that seem like they could be caused by DSfix, let me know.

Why is it still blurry?
I don't know at this point in time. It's already clear that there is a lot more detail and less aliasing using an increased framebuffer resolution -- as you would expect! -- but there is some residual blur. I'm trying to work out if this is due to my method or something inherent in the game. I will certainly continue working on this.

Will it cause performance problems?
That depends on your system configuration. Usually, performance scales rather linearly with framebuffer size, and so far this game does not seem different. My 660 maintained a locked 30 FPS throughout ~ 1/2 hour of testing in the starting area of the game at 2560x1440.

Can I donate?
If you really want to donate I won't say no, I'm not particularly rich .
Go to my blog post about the fix here.

Some other points

I did not do the entire work for this in 23 minutes. I developed an interception dll framework during this week to prepare for the job. I did the actual work to make the game render at higher res in that amount of time though -- based on the framework -- and spent a few more hours testing and adding the config file.
Please refrain from disrespectful remarks like "lol Japanese development". There are plenty of Japanese developers that deliver technically excellent PC games
Buy Dark Souls if you like hardcore action RPGs.

I'll provide the download links here soon. I just thought it would be good to have a separate thread so that the discussion in the OT can focus on the game again.
DOWNLOAD LINK, created by GAF member Durante

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
calintz
thank you based god

we need to have 1 thread per game... seriously

i'm confused if a new post is up or if i update an old post...
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
we need to have 1 thread per game... seriously

i'm confused if a new post is up or if i update an old post...

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

Looks amazing.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Very nice.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
Nem
Smash bro!

The PC community is very useful.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Before the enthusiasts are done with it I'll probably wish I had waited to get it on pc. I had a blast with it on console though even if I did bitch about the frame rate in quite a few areas.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Northeastmonk

I noticed some problems. The text doesn't show up in the tutorial boxes and some sound bugs. Other than that, the PC community will probably make this look great.

When it first boots up it feels like you're watching an xbox or last gen title load. Everything is very grainy and pixelated.

Once you download the two files, place both in with the .exe of the main game. It wont copy or replace any existing files. Then turn off AA filtering. It you keep AA filtering on, then you'll just get a messed up screen and you can't see anything. There are no text in message boxes atm.

Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

Decided to get this. My game is locked at 30 fps, even in blighttown, so whoever started spreading the rumor that the game would have the same fps drops as ps3/360 were talking out of their ass. It's a fine port imo. Mod community saved it, since the only real dealbreaker was the fixed internal resolution.

I tried the 60 fps mod and hated it. At 60 fps the game just seems jerky, like the animations are off.

Controls the same as console with either a 360 wired pad or dualshock 3 (I use motionjoy gamepad tool and a ps3 controller), but some players are still using mouse and keyboard.

Last edited by Chronos; 09-25-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote