The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
progmetal
!

Ubisoft has endured a 93-95% piracy rate on PC

Quote:
Ubisoft has endured a 93 to 95 per cent piracy rate on PC.
That's why it's investing in free-to-play on PC
- to guarantee revenue, Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot told GamesIndustry International.
"We want to develop the PC market quite a lot and F2P is really the way to do it," he said.
"The advantage of F2P is that we can get revenue from countries where we couldn't previously - places where our products were played but not bought. Now with F2P we gain revenue, which helps brands last longer.
"It's a way to get closer to your customers, to make sure you have a revenue. On PC it's only around five to seven per cent of the players who pay for F2P, but normally on PC it's only about five to seven per cent who pay anyway, the rest is pirated. It's around a 93 to 95 per cent piracy rate, so it ends up at about the same percentage. The revenue we get from the people who play is more long term, so we can continue to bring content."
Ubisoft has had a troubled history with PC gamers. It's come in for criticism for its DRM efforts and releasing PC versions of multiplatform games after the console versions. It'll do it again this year with the launch of Assassins' Creed 3, which launches on PC two weeks after console.
At Gamescom last week Ubisoft announced a raft of PC exclusive F2P titles, including Silent Hunter Online, Anno Online, The Settlers Online and Heroes of Might Heroes Online. It's also got Shootmania Storm and Ghost Recon Online in the works.
In March this year Ubisoft's digital boss Chris Early told Eurogamer that Ubisoft wanted to offer PC gamers so much value with its franchises that the need for its controversial DRM "goes away".
It hopes strategies including companion gaming, which sees spin-off experiences on mobile devices and social platforms feed into their related core games, and constant game updates, will discourage piracy. In short, it wants to create systems similar to those used by MMO makers for its games.
"Will some people still pirate? Yeah, they will. Will the person who really wants that broad experience pirate? We hope not," he said.
Ubisoft attracted gamers' ire when it announced that the PC versions of both Driver: San Francisco and From Dust required users to log on to the internet every time they played the game.
Such was the outcry that Ubisoft changed its mind, tweaking Driver's DRM so that players would no longer require always-on internet to enjoy it.
But that didn't prevent a number of Ubisoft PC games, including Driver and Anno 2070, from being completely unplayable online and offline when the company moved its gaming servers over to a third-party.
The publisher then claimed its DRM policy was a success, insisting it had seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection".
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...acy-rate-on-pc

Yet last year they said:

Quote:
Ubisoft: DRM strategy is a "success"

Ubisoft's controversial DRM strategy that demands a persistent online connection for many of its PC titles has successfully reduced levels of piracy, the publisher has claimed.
A company spokesperson told PC Gamer that the strategy had resulted in "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success."
As revealed earlier this week, Driver: San Francisco is the latest Ubisoft PC title to demand users only play when they have an internet connection, following in the footsteps of Settlers 7 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, among others.
It launches on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on 2nd September.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...y-is-a-success

Clearly we need more DRM to continue this trend.

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Drunken Savior

I wonder how they come to the conclusion that it's at least 93%.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Unfortunately these are standard numbers for most games, though that seems higher than I think it probably is.

Machinarium was an Indie game which released for very cheap and without any of the evil DRM which people say is the reason they pirate Ubisoft games, and that ended up with a 95% rate of piracy. Shows how much bolicks that excuse is huh.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Drunken Savior

But how would you accurately know how many times a game is pirated?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Torrent trackers and individual downloads from numerous sites and other sources are used and so an estimate is made on the piracy rates from that. You don't get how many copies exactly are pirated but you know how many times it was downloaded overall. Some people might download it twice, some people might not get the game working, some people might download the .torrent but never download the actual game, etc. but the numbers are still considered quite reliable.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Perhaps, they should just stop making PC games then if it's so high.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I wouldn't have imagined the number to be this high.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
Torrent trackers and individual downloads from numerous sites and other sources are used and so an estimate is made on the piracy rates from that. You don't get how many copies exactly are pirated but you know how many times it was downloaded overall. Some people might download it twice, some people might not get the game working, some people might download the .torrent but never download the actual game, etc. but the numbers are still considered quite reliable.
I'm going to help with the numbers then, I'm going to download the torrent BILLIONS of times.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Zack

i'm sure ubisoft's shitty drm has been a contributing factor.

it's dumb to release a $60 game for pc simultaneously with consoles though. a large % of people are just going to download it for free on pc instead of paying for the inferior console version.

seems best to wait until the console sales die down, then you announce the pc version w/ some exclusive features.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
spider-prime

what this number doesn't say is how many were downloaded so the real numbers are actually 5 people bought it and 45 downloaded it.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #11
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
what this number doesn't say is how many were downloaded so the real numbers are actually 5 people bought it and 45 downloaded it.
Your maths are off.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 08-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
spider-prime

maths? I was just throwing numbers out there like the ubisoft CEO.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Nem
Smash bro!

I still think the numbers are dodgy, because a game copied is not the same as a lost sale.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I still think the numbers are dodgy, because a game copied is not the same as a lost sale.
Are you suggesting that a game 'copied' (i.e. pirated) is a gained sale?
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Drunken Savior

What?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: