The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Steam selling non-gaming software

Quote:
Valve is to begin selling non-gaming software on Steam later this year.

The Counter-Strike and Half-Life maker said that many of the "creativity" and "productivity" software titles offered on the digital distribution platform will take advantage of popular Steamworks features such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space.
Software titles will launch on Steam on September 5, and developers will be able to submit them via Steam Greenlight.

"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Valve's Mark Richardson. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."

Steam offers over 1,800 games, and saw unit sales rise by more than 100 percent for the seventh straight year in 2011.

Valve said last month that Steam's Big Picture mode - the announced but still under wraps new feature that'll bring Steam games to your TV - is "coming soon".
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ming-software/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve
The Software titles coming to Steam range from creativity to productivity. Many of the launch titles will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you.

More Software titles will be added in an ongoing fashion following the September 5th launch, and developers will be welcome to submit Software titles via Steam Greenlight.
Valve just make a fucking OS please and I'll buy it.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Alucard

I wish they would. But no ones going to put the time and money into doing it. Cant wait to see what sort of programs they have. Can you imagine the steam sales for program packs?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

You never know, Valve are putting a lot of time and money into Linux. Gabe said in an interview recently Valve have even spoke to companies like Adobe about supporting Linux. Shame he didn't elaborate on the matter.

One thing I love is that they got Left 4 Dead 2 running better on Linux than it does on Windows.

Quote:
After this work, Left 4 Dead 2 is running at 315 FPS on Linux. That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version. However, it does speak to the underlying efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL. Interestingly, in the process of working with hardware vendors we also sped up the OpenGL implementation on Windows. Left 4 Dead 2 is now running at 303.4 FPS with that configuration.
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/

Pretty amazing results. Maybe a Linux-based Gaming OS isn't such a far-fetched idea if Valve are spear-heading the movement.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

This would be cool for gaming specific software. Maybe one day gamers could grab programs like FRAPS on a steam summer sale. Fap fap fap.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Alucard

I remember OpenGL was huge in the 90s. But I'd really like to keep all those nice dx11 effects too. If games were made to start supporting linux, you can bet your life all the microsoft published/developed titles wont ever be made to work on it. Which could be a problem if microsoft decide to go stupid and start buying up some more games companies. But there are still plenty of popular applications that wont work on linux. Maybe valve putting them onto the store could be a start in fixing this. Who knows.

I like windows, but if the future is windows 8 and wont be changing, I'm more then happy to shift to linux if games start supporting it.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
calintz
thank you based god

i'm just happy that steam is going to be on most OS now... more fun for everyone
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Zack

ah.. so that's why they hate windows 8
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Interesting article about this and why Valve dislikes Windows 8:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-challenge-yet
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
Alucard

I think theres more reasons then just what is said there. Otherwise it wouldnt make much sense for the other game makers to be saying the same things as Gabe.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
calintz
thank you based god

with a general dislike for windows 8, i wonder how many of the 40 million steam users will stay on win 7 and steam...
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote