The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Northeastmonk

Star Wars The Old Republic F2P November 2012

Quote:
BioWare has announced their MMO, Star War: The Old Republic, will be free-to-play beginning this November. The free-to-play feature will give gamers access to the first 50 levels and all eight playable and character classes. There will be some limitations with the free-to-play model. Gamers who are playing the free-to-play SWTOR model will be able to purchase items they lack with Cartel Coins.

A subscription option will still be available for those who want to access higher-level content and unlimited game access.

"Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic™ universe," said Matthew Bromberg, GM of BioWare Austin.

SWTOR will go one sale this August for about $15, including a one-month free trial.

BioWare has reported a steady decline of subscriptions for SWTOR since its release in late 2011. Many have speculated the MMO would eventually become a free-to-play game. Are you surprised by their announcement?
http://www.g4tv.com//thefeed/blog/po...lay-this-fall/

I feel bad for those who invested monthly. I mean, it didn't take long at all. It's still limited, but for 50 levels of a newer MMO isn't bad. I also think that it was very heavily story based and not a whole lot of whatever MMOs have. Just from my interpretation of videos and so forth.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

They will be keeping the P2P model aswell. They are giving more options.

The game is good, but a bit buggy. The content patches have been slow coming out and people were losing interest cause there was nothing to do.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Alucard

This video is a fairly entertaining look at the issues with star wars.

Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I'm going to start staying away from MMOs if they're all just going to become F2P eventually. May as well try them when that happens.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

You dont need to install origin to play the game.

17kbs downloads has everything to do with the guys connection, i never had that problem. also that laughing bug on character create is totally made up.

Also, quite funny how he says he is alone when the game is saying theres 47 people in the area.
With those his imparciality already went out the window, the guy is totally biased since the beggining and he says so himself. Not really an accurate critique. He is also an obvious Guild Wars fanboy, wich is a game i love aswell. Doesnt mean i am a dick about it though.

The game is actually quite fun during leveling, despite small bugs. The problem is end-game doesnt offer much. The servers were basically merged and are beeing upgraded and theres a healthy population now... well at least until today.

Last edited by Nem; 08-01-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
I'm going to start staying away from MMOs if they're all just going to become F2P eventually. May as well try them when that happens.

Totally. But some happen early, others happen after a couple years, others not at all. But star wars is the biggest flop ever in history. Made by a massive studio that now days only console gamers love, on budget of around 500million, and on star wars, one of the biggest fan bases on the planet. And they fucked it up massively.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Chronos
fuggit

Never played this game, but what I saw I did not like. Get quest > go kill packs of 3 > rinse and repeat, except with star wars you get a cut scene or something to add more lore?

Fuck that. Bring on Guild Wars 2 and its public quests, dodge rolling, high skill cap / equal footing non gear based pvp.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote