The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Gabe on Windows

Quote:
The head of Valve says his company is working to develop for Linux, calling Microsoft's Windows 8 a "catastrophe" that will lead product manufacturers to abandon the platform.

At a gaming event in Seattle last night, as reported by AllThingsD, Valve CEO Gabe Newell said the one thing holding back Linux is video game support.

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People don't realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior," Newell said, according to AllThingsD. "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It's a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that's true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."

Earlier this year, Stardock CEO Brad Wardell wrote an article for Kotaku about Windows 8's issues. Wardell called the new operating system a "usability nightmare." If other PC developers feel similarly, perhaps they'd be more than willing to follow Newell's lead to the Linux platform.

Newell also talked about touchscreens, calling them "short-term" and saying he thinks the future of interaction will be through computerized wristbands.

"We think touch is short-term," he said. "The mouse and keyboard were stable for 25 years, but I think touch will be stable for 10 years. Post-touch will be stable for a really long time, longer than 25 years.

"There's some crazy speculative stuff. This is super nerdy, and you can tease us years from now, but as it turns out, your tongue is one of the best mechanical systems to your brain, but it's disconcerting to have the person sitting next you go blah, blah, blah, blah... I don't think tongue input will happen, but I do think we will have bands on our wrists, and you'll be doing something with your hands, which are really expressive."

Perhaps we'll be using them to make Steam hats. According to Newell, there's a guy in Kansas making virtual hats for $150,000 a year. $150,000 a year. Anyone else want to get into the hat-making business?
http://kotaku.com/5929067/gabe-newel...-a-catastrophe

Arguing with Gabe Newell is like arguing with God so let's all just agree with him; like anyone would disagree anyway.

I'm not feeling Windows 8. Microsoft finally did right with Windows 7, it's a pretty great OS and I'm very happy with it, and then it seems they're just fucking it up for 8 and it's annoying. Don't fix what ain't broken, Microsoft! I'm not too big on Linux, I don't really bother with it, I'll probably be sticking with Windows 7 just like how I stuck with Windows XP for so long.

Oh, and where the fuck is Half Life 3?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yah I won't be upgrading to windows 8 anytime soon.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
calintz
thank you based god

hope linux can start becoming a gaming platform in the near future
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Northeastmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
hope linux can start becoming a gaming platform in the near future
I've never used Linux and have always heard about them/it through the internet and word of mouth. To my knowledge Sony uses their OS for the PS line. But I don't know too many people who use it, same with Mac. Though everyone at college seems to own a macbook.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I have used a couple forms of Linux. Ubuntu I have clocked several hours into. Its a solid OS. Very clean and trim. The downside to it is that making simple things work, like flash videos, require so many complex steps. But I believe this is because there was no actual Adobe support for the platform at that time. So everything has to be a work around.

I really want such a platform the finally take off though. People hated Vista and it wasn't much different than XP in terms of interface. What are people going to do when they don't even have a start bar or the ability to install Firefox? Its going to be hell for millions.

So really, if you want to see just HOW FAR Linux has come, try Ubuntu right now. You can literally try out the OS itself within your browser. http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/#
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Too bad majority of games use DirectX.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Alucard

I'm seeing people ignore windows 8, which is specifically being made for tablets, and stick with win7, like they did with XP. Millenium was ignored in the 98 days and XP came out quickly, same goes for vista and win7. 9 will be the one that should go back to normal. I dont see office work places updating to 8 either which a major part of microsofts sales. Ubuntu was fairly cool, but it'll take years for that thing to be of any use to us like win7 is.

I dont believe developers are being serious about switching to ubuntu or they would of done it years ago. Its more like trying to scare microsoft into doing something normal next time.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
Zack

might try it out on my htpc if it's not much effort setting everything up, but it probably is..
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I dont believe developers are being serious about switching to ubuntu or they would of done it years ago. Its more like trying to scare microsoft into doing something normal next time.
I don't see why they would have. W7 was meeting all their needs and the vast majority of their audiences were probably onboard the same OS. If enough people dislike W8, developers and users alike, they'll jump ship to a alternative. Developers will go where the users are. Its getting the users there thats the problem.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Alucard

Users are lazy. Horribly lazy. They'll stick with win7 forever if 9 is crap. Developers would have to spend extra money to get things working on ubuntu and we all know they dont like spending money unless they have to.

PC gaming dead thanks to windows 8. Long live xbox720
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Chronos
fuggit

I was indifferent towards windows 7, was probably going to get it if I could score it for free or cheaply with student discount, but now that gaben says so, fuck that shit. Sticking with 7.

In gaben we trust.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

And now we have Blizzard agreeing with Gabe.

Quote:
A key executive at Blizzard Entertainment has personally endorsed Gabe Newell's claim that Windows 8 "is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space".

Rob Pardo, the executive vice president of game design at the Diablo 3 studio, quoted Newell's comments on his personal twitter account before adding that Windows 8 is "not awesome for Blizzard either".

Discussion on the value of Windows 8 has hitherto been relatively quiet among games designers. Yet Newell, the co-founder of Valve Software, sparked debate on the subject by describing Windows 8 as "a catastrophe".

"nice interview with Gabe Newell - "I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space" - not awesome for Blizzard either"

It appears that his claims were centred on criticisms that that Microsoft will want to have more control over various applications and purchases made through its next operating system. The full details have not yet been announced by Microsoft.

"There's a strong temptation to close the platform," Newell said, "because they look at what they can accomplish when they limit the competitors' access to the platform, and they say, 'That's really exciting.'"

This appears to reference to the Windows Store in the Microsoft operating system, which could restrict companies' options to sell their software directly. Microsoft will take a 30 per cent royalty cut of every sale made through this store.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ophe-comments/

So Valve and Blizzard hating on Windows 8; two of the biggest PC developers out there and they're both slamming the OS already. Ouch.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Alucard

Maybe, with all their money, they should make their own OS.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
calintz
thank you based god

...like all trends... make one out of linux...
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
spider-prime

steam OS... yes please!