The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Dungeon Fighter Online

The free-to-play beat-em-up MMO from Nexon is now available on Steam!

Played it for a bit... If you like beat-em-ups, you'll likely find Dungeon Fighter Online very addicting! The fighting mechanics are kinda simplistic, but the vast number of quests, items, etc. puts other RPG beat-em-ups to shame. The actual fighting supports controllers, but you have to manually set up the buttons, etc. Menus require mouse and keyboard. Anyway, it's free-to-play, so everybody should give it a shot.

IGN review (kind of outdated)

Last edited by eastx; 07-02-2012 at 06:45 AM.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
tried it.. hated it.

SOO MUCH FUCKING CRAP ON SCREEN! I can't tell what I'm even looking at!

I'm going back to playing tribes, the only free to play game I've played so far that actually makes me feel like spending money on it!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

God yeah, Tribes is so much fun. I actually want to buy it, it's that good.

But the good thing about free games is being free to at least try, so I'll probably try out Dungeon Fighter somewhere down the line.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Alucard

Fucking Tribes. I made my login but trying to log in while the game is loaded up wont work. Says I dont exist when I do. Trying to create a new profile ingame just processes never ending. Raaage.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

It'll all be worth it in the end.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
calintz
thank you based god

what a generic name
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
tried it.. hated it.

SOO MUCH FUCKING CRAP ON SCREEN! I can't tell what I'm even looking at!
There's no more onscreen than any other typical MMO. You can ignore most of its and just run around and beat up monsters once you've taken a quest or two...
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
It's also why I hate most MMOs. Other than them being boring.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
It's also why I hate most MMOs.
I think that's kind of a silly complaint, but you might like the upcoming XBLA version (pictured below) better. It's got a much smaller UI.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Alucard

Not sure how the UI is smaller in that. Theres way more stuff on it in a larger size..

And I think spider was referring to the amount of crap that happens on screen during combat. Not just the characters, but the damage numbers and the smoke effects etc that block everything. MMOs are no where this clustered and impossible looking

Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

As you can see in your screens, there is indeed a lot more stuff at the bottom of the screen in the PC game. That's been streamlined in the console title.

Damage numbers showing up when you hit enemies are common in a lot (if not all) of RPGs, not sure what's unusual about that. The screen you picked is just a chaotic one, but it's not always like that.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Looks like a pretty standard RPG UI to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
As you can see in your screens, there is indeed a lot more stuff at the bottom of the screen in the PC game. That's been streamlined in the console title.
No way. The only thing that the console version has done is put larger portraits and zoomed the image closer so it looks like its widescreen when it really isnt. Plus the numbers on the lower/middle right side are way bigger than the pc version. I overlayed both on top and theres no way the pc UI takes more room.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
No way. The only thing that the console version has done is put larger portraits and zoomed the image closer so it looks like its widescreen when it really isnt. Plus the numbers on the lower/middle right side are way bigger than the pc version. I overlayed both on top and theres no way the pc UI takes more room.

You're telling me you don't see two rows and 18 different hotkeys on the bottom of the PC screen, as opposed to one row of four hotkeys on the XBLA one? Yes the character portraits are larger (not a bad thing), but the other information is displayed in a more compact manner.

And the screen isn't just zoomed in. They actually redrew everything with larger art, which makes the game look much nicer IMO. The current PC version is widescreen too though; it just doesn't have as much detail.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
Alucard

From what I see the hotkeys at the very bottom dont take much room at all, certainly dont block anything of import. You can see the right side where the console is and the blue bar, its like an inch of snow and little else. The console aloso has a larger wheel thing in the middle. But at the top half the new portraits, which are nice, take up double the amount of room. If you look at the middle real estate, there is far more open area on the pc than on the console.

Whether they redrew them is one thing, but its clearly enlarged. You can see the character art is basically the same, as is the monster design. But look at the trees. They stretch higher in the pc version than on the console one which also shows its been zoomed in.

Click for full size