The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Northeastmonk

Guild Wars 2 Release Date

Quote:
Earlier this year I told you that 2012 would be the Year of the Dragon, and that the next few betas would help us nail down our actual launch date. Well, after the results of our latest stress test, I’m happy to announce that we’re ready to nail down that date.
Guild Wars 2 will officially launch on Tuesday, August 28th.
This is an incredibly momentous day for the studio and for me personally. This journey began in 2007 when we first announced that we were beginning work on Guild Wars 2 and that you wouldn’t be hearing from us for a while. Then in 2010 we unveiled our manifesto for Guild Wars 2: a living breathing online world that challenges convention, that’s designed for fun instead of grind, and that brings social interaction to a new level in an online world.

Through all the long hours and hard decisions, we were bolstered by the knowledge that we were not in this alone. All along you’ve been there for us, cheering us on, supporting us when we needed it, testing early versions of the game, and above all, giving us your honest feedback every step of the way. Guild Wars 2 is a better game for all of the work that our community has put in.

Now that we’re just two months away from launch, we’ll spend our remaining time optimizing, polishing, and balancing the game, to ensure that we provide you with the best launch-day experience we possibly can.

To this end, I’m excited to announce that our next and final Beta Weekend Event is planned for July 20-22.

These are exciting times; we’re on the cusp of a new era in online roleplaying games, and we’re glad you’re on this journey with us.

We’ll see you in-game.
http://www.arena.net/blog/announcing...-2-launch-date

Got my digital copy ready. Yet I'm still not overly excited, maybe I will be once August comes.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Wish I had the time to devote countless hours to it.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Northeastmonk

That's what I meant. I can enjoy offline RPGs while on a busy schedule, but MMOs give me limited amount of time. However I plan to do as much as I can with this. The beta had a lot of promising ideas and the quest were quite good. Each seemed like its own instance and the combat was very fluid. I just hope its not buggy for the first couple months because that seems to be the time I get most of my time in.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

Aleluia! The bells are ringing... it took them a freaking while...

I have bought the game for 2 months already and had already lost interest in the beta events.

I must tidy up my stuff on the old republic or its gonna be a mess.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Alucard

WOOO!!!! Dunno if I'll play it first week, but I'll be getting it. Last I checked it was a free MMO. So no rush in playing.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

Its free indeed. Though we all know that usually comes packed with some traps.

Hopefully they follow the same formula they did with the first Guild Wars.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Northeastmonk

There is a small fee in the PvP World vs. World to change factions after your second attempt. This is because they want to make sure it stays balanced.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Northeastmonk

It has officially gone live! Servers have been up for a while. It feels like only yesterday when everyone was talking about how the day would never come.

Digital Pre-orders get a 72-hour head start. I logged in and everything worked, the beta just updated to the full client.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Aleluia! The bells are ringing... it took them a freaking while...

I have bought the game for 2 months already and had already lost interest in the beta events.

I must tidy up my stuff on the old republic or its gonna be a mess.
Funny how things work out.

I completely ditched ToR because basically Bioware was trolled by EA and the game was left hangging for a few months. No content, no sub.

I picked up TERA last month and wow... i loved it and it got in the way of my guild wars 2 plans. Still, gonna give it a go. Spamming the login button bu havent gotten in yet, I'm sure it will work eventually...
Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Nem
Smash bro!

So... it turns out the launch is beeing little disaster in europe. Been unable to login for hours.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Northeastmonk

Played 6 or 7 hours today. Honestly if you hate paying for subs, this is your best bet. There is so much content and it is a lot of fun.

I'm sorry to hear that Nem. But don't think too much on it. You will soon enough I hope. There aren't too many bad things to say because you get immersed in everything. Maybe it will slow down once everything gets completed a few times. But I'm enjoying it and will keep playing. The best part is not having to party to grind, everyone gains experience from the a kill.

Last edited by Northeastmonk; 08-25-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Nem
Smash bro!

later in the day the servers came back up. There were issues with guild creation, Hall of monuments rewards, in-gamemail system and the auction house. Its getting better now though.

The game is very good, very complete. There is alot of atention and you just cant move around without running into events. I like it, but not everything about it is perfect. The combat i dont think feels as good as in the first game.

As an MMO i still like TERA better because it offers me good rewards for my effort besides beeing a joy to play. At the moment i feel like playing both.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Chronos
fuggit

Haven't had this much fun playing an mmo in a long time. So much content for the price tag.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Northeastmonk

Its been interesting. I currently have a level 16 Ranger. I like the world a lot and the monsters are fantastic.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Nem
Smash bro!

Anyone playing this?

I got a lvl54 ranger atm, and while at first the game seems amazing by now i think its incredibly boring. After you go through the areas the first time you realise that the event system isnt so awesome as it looks and its actually as repetitive questing as the classic model (and the events trigger alot less often once the areas arent super crouded anymore making leveling even slower), but the big problem is the combat is boring... really, really boring and repetitive.
I tried rolling a warrior and a mesmer alts and by lvl 14 i just couldnt stomach it anymore.

Gonna level my ranger to max, but i am very disappointed with the game. Its "kite wars 2", you spend all day kiting because if you stay in melee you get blown up, even as a heavy armor melee. Dungeons are basically kiting fests and kill one enemy at a time.

If only arena net had kept the GW1 combat system and added this world. The changes to the combat system made this one average and boring game, albeit with a novel idea in the questing system.
All this ignoring the fact the auction house, the mailing and the party systems are broken most of the time.

I'm most probably gonna go back to TERA/SWTOR.