The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Origin Rages Against Steam Sales Model

Quote:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...am_sales_model

Electronic Arts' contentious fued with Steam isn't exactly on the same level as the Hatfields and McCoys was long before the digital age, but it's clear there exists plenty of bad blood between these two sides. The latest indication of this comes from an interview Senior VP of Global E-Commerce for EA, David DeMartini, gave to GamesIndustry. DeMartini, who obviously has a vested interest in Origin, had some choice words for Steam.

In particular, DeMartini takes issue with Steam's frequent software sales, in which even A-list titles can be bought for deep discounts. It's something gamers love, and DeMartini loathes.

"I just think it cheapens your intellectual property," DeMartini told GamesIndustry.

DeMartini said he understands why Steam does it -- "to sell a whole bunch of units" -- but he wants no part of that business model. He compared Steam to retail giant Target and said Origin is aiming to be more like Nordstrom. He was quick to clarify that items will go on sale "occasionally" at Origin, but don't expect deep discounts for 75 percent off.

Expanding on why he feels the way he does, DeMartini said that Steam's business model teaches gamers not to purchase titles in the first month, and instead wait four or five months for a big sale everyone knows is on the horizon.

Do you agree with DeMartini, or do you think Steam's deep discounts are the way to go?
Well, at least EA is up front about not being a good value.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Alucard

I already posted this before you attention seeker!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Northeastmonk

Quote:
Expanding on why he feels the way he does, DeMartini said that Steam's business model teaches gamers not to purchase titles in the first month, and instead wait four or five months for a big sale everyone knows is on the horizon.
Hmmm.. save me money? Get the same game? That's why Valve is #1 in digital sales.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I would wait for a sale no matter what anyways. Perhaps they need to start charging less for their games for me to actually see a value in my purchase. When PS1 era was here and games were only 39.99 and 49.99 I bought games all the time, I usually bought 2 games at launch day if they came out right away. But not anymore. I rather save the cash.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Northeastmonk

All digital games need is a used value. Give the title back sell it for $15 less to someone else. I mean, outside of some things consoles do PC gaming has been an ultimate platform.

I don't buy used games anymore unless its online. I also don't go to GameStop every other week looking for games. I've saved hundreds of dollars in the process. I still have Diablo 3 reserved too. Which was big deal for me since I used to reserve everything. Looking back it makes me look crazy when all I needed was a PC, Steam, Google Search, and a keen sense of when game prices sink. Because honestly Steam sales are basically the reality of gaming deflation. They are $60 for about a month, then they drop $10-$30.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah fuck EA man. I'm not paying 60 dollars for a fucking digital game that I don't really own(DRM). They think that is going to win me over, then they have another thing coming. That's anti-consumer talk if I ever heard, fuck that.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiuju2k View Post
Yeah fuck EA man. I'm not paying 60 dollars for a fucking digital game that I don't really own(DRM). They think that is going to win me over, then they have another thing coming. That's anti-consumer talk if I ever heard, fuck that.
exactly, but that is why I buy games full price at gog.com, cause at least when you download those games you can put it on a disc and it's yours!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah I love that about GOG. Steam's fine, I can live with it very happily, but is always nice thing to have from GOG, the ability to do that and stuff.

And this guy is just blindly taking a stab at the competition, even after Gabe gave some nice advice to how he thought Origin could be better. Silly EA.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
justin_credible

What is a "fued"

I stopped reading at that word that's enough.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

There is no "fued". EA is out of line and trying to stir something up. Steam doesn't charge full retail for digital games and has great sales and EA doesn't like that, and EA has the audacity to criticize a consumer friendly service like Steam instead of trying to be competitive with it's pricing and services.

Zechin
Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
Northeastmonk

Origin employees should try living a day choosing to buy games from Steam or Origin. One holiday sale and they would be Steam 4 life.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah totally. As always, it is up to us to force change with our wallets. If EA had it their way, well we know what they would do if they had it their way and it involves us bending over.

Zechin