The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Alucard

EA doesnt like Steam sale prices

looooool

Quote:
EA's Origin service recently celebrated its one-year anniversary, and while it's a growing platform -- 12 million registered users and $150 million in revenue is nothing to sneeze at -- it's not yet as good as EA wants it to be. Its main competitor, Valve's Steam system, has built a loyal user base in almost nine years of existence, and one of its main tactics is the deep discounts it periodically offers. But the man who runs Origin, David DeMartini, told GamesIndustry International that his service won't be using that strategy.

DeMartini acknowledged that the deep-discount approach to move units of aging inventory "certainly works for Valve," but he wasn't as sure of how well it goes over with the publishing partners who "take on the majority of that haircut." He seemed to favor the publishers' position in general, stating his belief that Steam's strategy "cheapens [...] intellectual property":

" The gamemakers work incredibly hard to make this intellectual property, and we're not trying to be Target. We're trying to be Nordstrom. When I say that, I mean good value -- we're trying to give you a fair price point, and occasionally there will be things that are on sale you could look for a discount; just don't look for 75-percent-off going-out-of-business sales. "

DeMartini also pointed out that Steam sales can engender in gamers a wait-and-see attitude, teaching customers, "I might not want it in the first month, but if I look at it in four or five months, I'll get one of those weekend sales and I'll buy it at that time at 75 percent off." That's not an unreasonable thought for cash-strapped gamers in an economic downturn, but it's obviously not ideal for developers and publishers.

Instead, Origin has other plans in the works for older titles. Although DeMartini wouldn't go into detail, he said EA would "present a value to the customer and [...] engage them in [the] service on a going-forward basis." The fundamental idea is to "form a longer-term relationship with them and draw them in that way," which, if you think about it, is exactly what Valve has done through Steam.
http://www.destructoid.com/ea-expect...n-228991.phtml

Love it. They dont like pc gamers waiting for sales. If its not sulking about piracy, its crying that we wont give them full amounts.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Drunken Savior

Being stingy on sales is the perfect way to increase traffic to Origin. [/sarcasm]

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

lol

Sales are awesome for devs. When a game is a certain age, 0 sales because it's old, people buy used, there's a new one out, whatever. Steam sales help drive up unit sales and the only time we see any noticeable revenue increase for a game is during Steam sales or other DD outlet sales.

So lol EA.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

90% of the time, if I'm on the fence about a game a good sale will push me towards purchasing. Even if the game was fairly inexpensive, say $20 originally and marked to $10, I'll take that chance for a potentially fun experience.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
retarded companies being more retarded.

Even games for windows had a 10 cent sale.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
justin_credible

EA = greedy bastards that's nothing new.

FFS they started DLC, online passes for consoles I do believe.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Naa, Oblivion Horse Armour started shitty DLC. EA just jumped onto the bandwagon when it became profitable. EA's old games where actually good when it came to DLC, very generous expansion packs and priced well too. Had no qualms with their old scheme.

Those days are long gone now though.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
This is also why I said that nobody will beat Steam for a DD service. The only reason Origin is doing anything is cause they have games that have to be run though origin. If it wasn't required, that 150 million in revenue would be at least half that. ie cause of games like Mass effect 3 and BF3.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yep. I wouldn't have even touched Origin if I hadn't needed it for EA games.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Northeastmonk

Speaking of EA; Fifa Soccer 12 is on sale at Amazon.com for $9.99 digital download. I picked it up for the sheer hype of the series, plus it would be nice to have a Fifa title.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Art...9520400&sr=8-1
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Nem
Smash bro!

I like the arrogance and how they treat the customers as idiots and given.

Newsfalsh retard: a cut share on a sale = money. A high priced and so valued intellectual property = no sale = 0.

Now go and ask the developers/publishers wich one they prefer.

I hate execs blinded by greed.