The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

EA helping Indie devs out

Quote:
EA wants to be your pal, indie developers — it’s even buying the first round of drinks. The publisher announced today that it will distribute games funded by Kickstarter and Indiegogo on Origin for 90 days without fees. When they’re done, crowdfunded projects such as Wasteland 2 will have the opportunity to reach Origin’s 12 million customers (a.k.a. people who own Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, or The Old Republic) and keep EA’s share during the launch.

The offer is open to any “fully-funded, complete and ready-to-publish games designed for digital download to PC platforms.” Brian Fargo, CEO of inXile, and Jane Jensen of Pinkerton Road Studio voiced support for EA’s offer in the press release.

“Crowd-funded projects are like the ‘people’s choice awards’ — a way for gaming fans to express what they want to buy and play,” said Jensen. “It’s great to see a big publisher like EA acknowledging that and opening up distribution opportunities for these games.”
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/18/or...dfunded-games/

This is the first time EA has done something I don't actually mind and it seems a few developers don't mind either, was surprised to see Fargo's name up there. But yeah, that's a pretty cool scheme.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Alucard

I like that. Hey bring us your completed games so we can put it on our site and make money! Thanks! How exactly is that helping the,? You mean the 90days without fees? 12million users on EA versus 48947895million from steam. Theres an easy choice.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Ernst

NuMedia for the wiiiin. EA will die a slow death.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Remember that there's no exclusivity deal, it can be on Steam as well. Don't really see a downside for the developers.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Alucard

Except we dont know what sort of fees EA charge compared to steam and other places. I'm under the impression Wasteland 2 wont show up simply because EA were already approached to fund the game but they werent happy with the idea, ala constant requests for it to be made into an fps by publishers. I see it going up on steam and possibly Stardock's Impulse store. Probably GoG too.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well if you missed it in the first post, Fargo is one of the main supporters of this scheme, so I'd say Wasteland 2 has a good chance of being on Origin too. Be silly to openly support a scheme and then not use it.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I would never buy a game from origin, my brothers did for old republic and they had nothing but problems getting the games to work and nothing but hassle from EA that gave them the run around.

They actually stopped playing the game cause of it. They were able to play in the preorder beta for it and then when the game came out, both of them got a deactivation thing and it wouldn't let them play the preloaded game when it came out saying they had to buy it again. So they sent a ticket in into tech support, they told them to call up instead after waiting days to get a reply from them, so they phoned, left them on hold for 1 hour, told they would reactivate, they got it working.... but now they billed them twice for both accounts each, they phone up again and then told them to email instead cause he couldn't issue a refund without a manager and we were like, why the fuck isn't a manager there anyways? so they do that anyways and then they told them to phone back again to verify information!

So I told them to fuck it and just phone up the credit card company and say that the card got stolen and they made purchases off of it. There I got them their money back faster than EA ever will!

But now their accounts were banned cause of it. but they don't give a fuck, they said they will stick with steam from now on, no matter what games come out on origin.

Steam actually gave me a refund on a request for a game I accidentally didn't know was in my cart with other games before! even tho their policy is no refunds after purchase. SUCK IT ORIGIN!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Alucard

Origin hasnt been a problem for me unlike Windows Live which I completely and utterly avoid. I'll happily pay an extra $5 if it means not paying for windows Live version. My Origin account has BF3 and a shitload of Sims titles. Cant recall if theres anything else.