The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Drunken Savior

ArmA 2 mod: Day Z

Day Z Website

This is a free mod for Arma 2 (must also have Operation Arrowhead expansion) that probably captures the horror the zombie apocalypse in a game yet.

You start off in a random location within a Russian island. You have a pistol, some clips and some beans. From there, it's up to you. You'll search for supplies, making sure to keep yourself hydrated and fed. You'll need to move quietly, noise attracts zombies. You'll see another player in the distance looking at you.

This man might just be happy to see another human, knowing that power is in numbers....or he might just simply want to kill you for your can of beans.

And this is what is making this mod extremely popular right now, the social working between strangers and friends in a post apocalyptic environment. It's not really the zombies that you should fear, you know their motives (nomnom). It's the people you should fear. You don't know what they want and what they'll do to get it.

Oh and if you die, you are dead. You lose all the items you've collected from the start. And when you start again, you start in a random place, with a pistol, and a can of beans.

Just reading comments by players, many of them love telling stories of events that transpired during their 'life.'

Oh, and the average lifespan is under five hours at the moment.

A dangerous venture into a town costs the team. Shit hits the fan at 3:15.

A man explores a building, finding some friends, and an enemy...

Someone decided to check out this road flare that was on the road...

As a result of this mod (likely), Arma2: CO has shot up to #5 on Steam. No doubt fueled by people who want to play this mod.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Looks very awesome. I can live with waiting for an ARMA Steam sale and probably pick it up for 1, but I'll definitely play this whenever I get it.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Alucard

Very very cool. Will wait for them to fix up some bugs and stuff and check it out in a few months time. Get it for my 360 HURHURHURHURHUR
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

Sweet. I remember a few months after ArmA 2 came out there was a single player zombie mod but no mp. This really takes it to a new level. At that time ArmA 2 was riddled with performance issues and bugs, but it seems a lot better now.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Drunken Savior

It's still a little too clunky for my taste, but I guess it's supposed to be a realistic military sim. I can deal with that.

And as a plus, it'll keep 13 year olds away from this game. Trolling is one thing that will just ruin this game. As it is now, a lot of people are taking the pretend apocalypse seriously.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 05-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
Alucard

Yeah its too hardcore for kids. They'd get bored after 1min of walking around going OMG I AINT SHOT AT SOMEONE YET BORING!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Drunken Savior

Just played the game for 6 hours straight. It's strangely addicting.

I was playing with a friend and we were mostly just running around the map, just exploring and looking for weapons. We shot shit via steam voice chat (so no one in the game could hear us talking). Every new discovery we made (town, solitary guard house, dam) was stressful as a single rogue player or unexpected zombie could end you, but we needed better weapons. I found a hunting rifle, he found a shotgun. We figured we were set. We were able to barely fend off a swarm of 15 zombies once, it was pretty intense. We were just calling out the positions of zombies around eachother ("My 12! Your 3! My 4!") as we dropped body after body. We were both kind of surprised we lived though it.

We found a town, a power plant was in the outskirts. We found the place littered with bodies, and even one that was fresh (the sound of flies acts as a signal that a player has been killed at this particular body). We talked about how there might be someone here. That that person might have killed this person and all these zombies. But we pressed on. We went up some stairs into a small office. I spot an AK in front of me, I pick it up. I hear two gunshots. I die. My friend dies right after.

That's how our epic 6 hour zombie story went. It was fucking awesome.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Alucard

Sounds like a cool game. Hope the mod spawns its own game down the track.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Northeastmonk

It sounds fantastic especially since there's so much exploring.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I want to play it now, but I want to wait for an ARMA 2 sale... but I want to play it... but it'll go on sale... I'm so torn.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Alucard

Would be pretty awesome if a bunch of us could join up in this game and just roam around as an imposing force. I've noticed DS is usually on and playing during the hours I'm actually around. Even that shady spiderprime.

I need to ask but who is Schwarzwald. People change their names on my list and I just lose track after a while. Whoever it is you're also around during those times.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Chronos
fuggit

Going to reinstall ArmA2 and check this out today.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Drunken Savior

If anyone wants to play, let me know. If I have the time, I'm down to just wander and gather supplies until we both inevitably get raped.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #14
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

How many people have ARMA 2, or can have it? We could get another MB game night going if people fancy it, be pretty cool to have a huge group in a game like that. And I shall drink coffee and not fall asleep!

Here's a question, do you just randomly spawn? We'll be spending a long time simply finding eachother if there's no way to spawn near a friend.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
Drunken Savior

When you spawn, you spawn near the coastline. If you're gonna play, I recommend printing this bad boy out. It's easier to refer to it than looking at a map in-game (if you find one!).

Unfortunately, the shore, as well as the big cities Elektrozavodsk ("Elektro") and Chernogorsk ("Cherno") are rife with bandits and other PK'ers who are looking to hunt newbies. And you'll usually spawn within those cities, or somewhere on the southern shore.

From there, it's best to have everyone meet somewhere, usually a city away from the shore. That will take around 1 hour in real time if you know where to go. Once everyone is gathered, it's time to just roam the wasteland, finding supplies, weapons, and ammo. The further you get away from the shore, the less likely you are to be killed by other survivors. Those who just want to explore and kill zombies usually do so within the center of the map. However, there are rumors that bandits like to congregate at the airfield in the north.

But it's totally worth it. I'd love to have a MagicBox group of survivors.

One thing that everyone seems to have are good stories about their time in this game. I'm thinking of putting together a dumb little youtube series that follows the life of a character from start to death.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: