The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Alucard

NVIDIA 301.24 Beta Drivers add FXAA and more

Usually I dont bother with beta drivers, and this isnt any special exemption either. But these drivers have some really cool stuff which means next driver set, godly. So every game gets a performance boost, thats awesome. But now you can enable FXAA in the nvidia control panel to work with every game. FXAA is basically better than the AA currently used.

Quote:
With the release of the GeForce 301.24 beta driver, a high-speed, shader-based anti-aliasing technique can be applied directly to hundreds of games through the NVIDIA Control Panel. Called NVIDIA FXAA, this technique is up to 60% faster than 4xMSAA, and can produce results equal to or better than the ageing anti-aliasing solution. Furthermore, FXAA is able to anti-alias increasingly-popular transparent textures, as shown in our Batman: Arkham City Graphics Breakdown and Performance Guide, making it the clear winner in many of today’s games.
Theres a few cool slider pics at the link that show some games running it in comparison. Most notable is dungeon defenders which doesnt even use aliasing. Now if this wasnt enough it has some other extra sexyness. Its called Adaptive Vsync..

Quote:
Many gamers enable Vertical Synchronization (VSync) to prevent screen-tearing, an unsightly occurrence caused by frame rates exceeding a monitor’s refresh rate. The downside is the occasional and equally annoying stutter when frame rates drop below the locked VSync frame rate, and again when they return to the locked rate.

To fix the problem, the GeForce 301.24 beta drivers come loaded with NVIDIA Adaptive VSync, an automated technique that disables VSync when frame rates fall below the locked rate, and re-enables it when they return to the locked rate, significantly reducing stuttering whilst still preventing tearing.

You know some of those console ports that are locked at 30fps or whatever because the xbox is shit and we have to suffer it? This breaks that limiter. AWESOME STUFF I hear you say. Well theres a few surprises more!

Quote:
NVIDIA Surround Enhancements

The GeForce 301.24 beta drivers introduce several new NVIDIA Surround features for our multi-monitor users. To learn more, click each link below.

NVIDIA Surround Accessory Display: Enable a fourth ‘Accessory Display’ to check emails, browse the web, or access other applications while in-game.
NVIDIA Desktop Management: Maximize applications to a single physical display when in Surround mode.
NVIDIA Desktop Management: Confine the Windows Taskbar to the center display.
NVIDIA Bezel Peeking: ‘Peek’ behind monitor bezels to reveal obscured menus and game information.
NVIDIA Central Display Acceleration: Play single-screen games at full speed on Surround setups.
NVIDIA Custom Resolution Management: Add or remove Surround resolutions to improve compatibility in applications and games.

This one though is my favourite. All you old school gamers will know how magical this is...

Quote:
Using third-party tools such as EVGA Precision X, all NVIDIA GPU users can now enable NVIDIA Frame Rate Target to limit application frame rates to a specific, pre-defined frame rate. Its uses are many - for example, frame rates in decade-old games can be limited to 30 to prevent incompatibility issues; frame rates in today’s games can be limited to 60, preventing the GPU from working to the max, reducing heat and noise output; and frame rates can be capped to the monitor’s refresh rate, preventing tearing without enabling VSync.
WHAT?! You just orgasmed didnt you!

Its awesome. Too awesome. Cant wait for the next WHQL revision. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...vers-released/
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
whoa awesome, maybe these new drivers will finally fix the cutscene problem I have with games not being sync with audio.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
darren
... lol

this looks awesome .. but as alucard says i'll wait for the pucker release.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

nVidia just continues to impress. And yeah I'll wait for the actual release but great stuff.