The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
darren
... lol

An analyst in Japan withdoes not see a bright future for Wii U

interesting read, most so the bit about zero support from Activision and limited support from Konami. Guess that would mean no COD or Metal Gear. but tbh i'd be shocked if theres zero support from Activision

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...s-deteriorated

Quote:
Wii U will launch later this year (one rumored date points to November 18) and Nintendo is hoping to make a big splash with the system this year at E3 in June. Many questions about the console's capabilities still linger, however, and one analyst in Japan is not too optimistic about Wii U's long-term prospects.

David Gibson at Macquarie Capital Securities (Japan) Limited has downgraded Nintendo stock to "underperform" and remarked that there are "increasingly problematic structural problems for the company."

Gibson assigned a target price of ¥10,000 and noted that "if Nintendo went iOS/Android with games we think the stock could be worth ¥20,000+, but in our view that's not going to happen."

Ultimately, Gibson said the "competitive position of the WiiU has deteriorated" and he advises avoiding Nintendo stock until E3.

Gibson outlined three potentially big problems for Nintendo:

Wii U GPU is less powerful than Xbox360/PS3 according to developers, which means it has no edge besides the tablet interface to attract core users. Initial third-party titles are likely to be only ports from Xbox360/PS3 titles. A bundled WiiSports/Mario title may help initial sales beat Wii launch, but Wii was severely production-constrained and the surprise factor from Wii U is less.

iPad with its retina display shows where Apple is taking its 4 screen infrastructure, leaving Wii U less connected and less relevant. The GPU processing power for handsets is reaching consoles such that we think core gamers have no interest in buying into the Wii U. Apple might add in a controller to its line-up to be more attractive to core users. MocoSpace survey shows that 96% of gamers like to play their games at home, and with a better infrastructure we think iOS will be able to deliver a single game experience across four screens that Nintendo cannot.

Wii U will have 1-year window to gain installed base before PS4 (Orbis) and then Xbox Durango launch in late 2013. At that point, the core gamer that Nintendo is after for the first time will have no interest in Wii U. We understand that Activision has no plans to support Wii U, which means the biggest selling title of Call of Duty will be missing; Konami is also planning minimal support.

On that last point, we reached out to Activision, and the official answer is that the publisher hasn't made any announcements about Wii U support. Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg has said multiple times that Wii U would more closely align with the types of games Activision makes, but we'll see how that translates into support from the company.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I fully expect that Activision will release some cheap crap on the WiiU when the time comes if they don't I will be very very shocked indeed.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

I would be very surprised if this or next years CoD isnt ported to the WiiU aswell.

Thats like throwing money out the window. Either that or they are beeing bribed by microsoft not to do it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Alucard

Instead of COD I want a Wii-UOD Party, where the game is soldiers performing party type games. Walk around the field looking for mines. See how many grenades you can hit back at the opposition after they throw them. And my favourite, mixing drill practice with dancing to create the ultimate military style Battle-Dance-Dance against enemy soldiers. Comes with separate dessert camo dance mat worth $150. The more moves you get right, the more soldiers fall.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I can't think of any Activision games that came out for the Wii, and Konami has hardly released anything this gen.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

Oh yeah i forgot to mention no one cares about Konami. I am surprised if they are around for much longer...MGS is all they've got. Too little and far between for a company i would think.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Oh yeah i forgot to mention no one cares about Konami. I am surprised if they are around for much longer...MGS is all they've got. Too little and far between for a company i would think.
They did however make a crapload of money in 2011 don't know about this year the results aren't out yet but like SquareEnix and Namco Bandai games are only one part of there business so they aren't going anywhere.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Instead of COD I want a Wii-UOD Party, where the game is soldiers performing party type games. Walk around the field looking for mines. See how many grenades you can hit back at the opposition after they throw them. And my favourite, mixing drill practice with dancing to create the ultimate military style Battle-Dance-Dance against enemy soldiers. Comes with separate dessert camo dance mat worth $150. The more moves you get right, the more soldiers fall.
you just know how to take my money dont you ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I'm thinking the wii u will bomb cause Nintendo doesn't know how to make a controller people want to use!

Nintendo games will be just fine on it, but everyone else's game? probably will suck. It's going to be the wii all over again.

There are new rumors that the system is not more powerful than the PS3 or Xbox but in fact weaker and nintendo just responds with, it's not the specs that make games fun, it's the games itself.......... so yah it's probably true.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

What's wrong with the Wii U's controller?

Anyway, Activision has already said they'll be supporting Wii U and come on, it's Activision. You don't need to have half a brain cell to know they'll put their stuff on anything. They put COD on the Wii, no way will they ignore a much easier console to port their £40 expansion packs to.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Activision? What's that?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The system isn't even out yet and I can't help but feel its not going to be a very popular platform. Nintendo is running on gimmicks instead of proven core practices. I can't even get my head around playing Smash Brothers on the thing. Especially when only one controller will work per console.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
darren
... lol

i think they have changed it to two now .. handy that .. system comes with one .. $100 extra add on controller anyone?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Weaker than Xbox 360 and PS3? $100 extra controller? Shit yeah, sign me up! Since I have a low IQ, I'm all over it. I wonder why they even bother to make it HD at all. After all, it's the games, not the specs. We should still be using NES technology, right Nintendo?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Funny thing is, that wouldn't be such a bad idea. I'd be eager to support an old-school console.