The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #121
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Except the opposite is true.
Actually, the opposite of what you said is true. It's an ugly chain of opposites.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #122
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

nah fuck that, Gamestop is awesome. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #123
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Actually, the opposite of what you said is true. It's an ugly chain of opposites.
No, he's right this time. Online passes and day-one DLC were obviously there to punish people that brought there games used by forcing them to buy extra to get the whole game.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #124
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
No, he's right this time. Online passes and day-one DLC were obviously there to punish people that brought there games used by forcing them to buy extra to get the whole game.
No, they're there so that publishers can profit from people who either buy the game used or bring in additional profit from people who buy it new. Fact. I'm almost certain that KoS has explained this to you on multiple occasions. The punishment thing is all in your minds.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #125
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I'm almost certain that KoS has explained this to you on multiple occasions. The punishment thing is all in your minds.
Yes he has explain his opinion on the matter that doesn't infact make it right.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #126
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I wouldn't call it "punishment", but I'd call it rather tactless and kind of demeaning to the player who buys the game on day one.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #127
Ernst

Just because their intention isn't punitive but rather merely to suck every penny they can from you doesn't make it not punishing. Because it is punishment. Punishment for buying your game used, that's why they do it. To stop you buying used games. If you do buy used games, expect an addition levy to punish you, and deter you from your crooked ways. You'd think people were stealing from these companies- you literally don't even own a copy of a game if you buy it used. Like I've said constantly, the developers and publishers took the easiest option, because to use the analogy again, gamers are whores who pay to get fucked, i.e. stupid whores. If gamers who objected to this cash-vacuum actually spoke with their money it wouldn't go on for long. In the mean time let the saps who defend this type of avarice be bled dry. They're only too willing anyway.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #128
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I wouldn't call it "punishment", but I'd call it rather tactless and kind of demeaning to the player who buys the game on day one.
I wouldn't call it a 'punishment' either. That's just adding unnecessary drama to the matter by your word choice. Doesn't help your case at all.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #129
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

How is DLC and online passes punishment? You don't need to buy them. A lot of people buy a used game and then want more, and so buy DLC, that's how we can make a bit of money off used sales, and there is nothing about that which is a punishment. Believe me, there are many many ways we could get more money off you when you buy a game used and very easily too, but we don't for this reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
But otherwise there is nothing illegal or immoral about the selling and buying of used games.
Exactly true. I'm sure you've all seen the punishing DRM to curb piracy, which does punish pirates? That can be done because piracy is illegal and immoral, and so these measures, however annoying they are, are pretty justified. But because buying a used game isn't, we can't punish the used buyers in the same way.

DLC is more content, and optional to buy. I must have missed the memo that said more content for a game was bad. It's easy to ignore if you don't like it, I played ME3 without buying any DLC and don't feel that I 'missed out' or anything. Online passes is perfectly justified; you're using our online service, as well as our product, neither of which are free to produce and maintain. Wanting at least something from players is perfectly justifiable and I see no fault in it.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #130
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I think the whole thing of paying to unlock something that's already on the disc (which you purchased) is immoral. You have already paid for the disc and every bit and byte stored on it. New levels and characters, etc that don't already exist on the disc? That's fine.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #131
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

What about special editions that contain exclusive content?

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #132
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You mean like Super Street Fighter IV? I'm fine with stuff like that, especially since they weren't released at $60.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #133
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yah, DLC on the disc isn't DLC then, cause you didn't download anything but a file that says you can use it! It's more like extortion.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #134
darren
... lol

disc locked content and downloadable content are always getting mixed up ..

the 1st takes the piss the 2nd is fine
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #135
Ernst

Haha, Sentinel. You basically just said 'Quit whining bitches, and be grateful I'm only using the cat O' nine tails, keep it up and I'm bringing out the nipple clamps and electrodes'.

And here's a question. How is removing content from a used game, which would be present if bought new not punishment?
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote