The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #106
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
The good thing about used cars is they arent just 10% cheaper then a brand new car, unlike games. Sometimes only 5% cheaper.
You know, this seems to be the only problem.

They should just have a grace period after a game comes out where it cant be sold second hand. Say three months.

Problem solved.

Either way i dont know who in their right mind buys a used game when the new one is only 5% more expensive. But, i am in favor of the price not beeing locked at maximum for years to come. Many games i buy i would never buy if i was forced to pay max price for them. They just arent worth it for me.

Say for example Ninja Gaiden 3 just came out. Its a shit game and its price should be slashed instead of standing in shelves trying to fool some uninformed person to buy a turd and waste their money.

Let me tell you something. In my country of origin, the prices are not competitive and stay around 70 euros for years and years unless the retailer after a year or so decides to clear inventory and slashed the price to 30 euros. You know what happens? Nothing sells. The shelves just become more and more packed.
These guys have no idea what they are talking about. They dont understand business. Its a common place in the videogames industry at the moment. The companies are getting too greedy and want to rape you for every penny you got. Theres a threshold of price and demand. Look at the damn 3DS and VITA sales in the first months! Difficult to see apparantly...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #107
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Let me tell you something. In my country of origin, the prices are not competitive and stay around 70 euros for years and years unless the retailer after a year or so decides to clear inventory and slashed the price to 30 euros.
Ah! I've often wondered why so many foreigners buy my games from Ebay I'm always shipping games to Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany and France I think are the main ones. That my be the answer, geez 70 Euros that's gotta suck.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #108
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
You know, this seems to be the only problem.

They should just have a grace period after a game comes out where it cant be sold second hand. Say three months.

Problem solved.
Thats a pretty awesome idea. Like movies released at the theatres take a few months before the dvds are out.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #109
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Grace period is actually a pretty good idea.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #110
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I like the grace period idea, not sure how it would be enforced. I also think used games should be cheaper. None of this being $5 less than a new game. I would admit that that deters new game purchases. Cheaper prices wouldn't deter anyone who was going to buy the game anyway but would let others who previously didn't have an interest in the game pick it up and maybe get interested in the series or whatnot, perhaps buy some DLC. I wanted Shenmue 2 for my Xbox and the dude at Gamestop talked me into saving a whopping $5 on the used version. Now Shenmue 3 will never be made. There are some games I would definitely like to pay full price for. Also, I never sell my games, not any more.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #111
justin_credible

It could be enforced through updates. You put the disc in it will say "used product not eligible for play until */*/**" for example. The only problem is people would acquire a used game and not know the dates.

But maybe the date could be put right on the case of the game.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #112
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

The grace period has been discussed and rejected by stores, so start crying at them. People say devs are greedy about wanting money from used games; no, the stores are the greedy ones. They make more from a £30 used game than a £40 new game, and they're in the position of power as the distributors and so no chance they're passing that bargain up. And so matters are taken into our own hands; online passes, DLC, etc.

Sell a new game, buy it back cheap, sell for even more. From one game, stores can potentially be making triple the profit than the developer will get. How people continuously defend that is beyond me...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #113
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I'll defend it. They are just supplying a demand. It's the people so stupid they would buy a used game to save five bucks and sell a game for a third of what it's worth. That's the part that makes no sense to me.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #114
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I mean defending how greedy the stores are in regards to this and how much money they make, which the developers see none of even though it's their product.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #115
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

What the companies charged is determined by the market. If you're selling something and two people want to buy it you're not greedy because you sold it to the person who was willing to pay more. As for the developers, car companies don't get residuals from used car sales, nor should they.

This leaves developers only a few options for reclaiming those market dollars and I'm sure they will all be exploited.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #116
Ernst

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
The grace period has been discussed and rejected by stores, so start crying at them. People say devs are greedy about wanting money from used games; no, the stores are the greedy ones. They make more from a £30 used game than a £40 new game, and they're in the position of power as the distributors and so no chance they're passing that bargain up. And so matters are taken into our own hands; online passes, DLC, etc.

Sell a new game, buy it back cheap, sell for even more. From one game, stores can potentially be making triple the profit than the developer will get. How people continuously defend that is beyond me...
In other words, game developers don't like that people are able to resell a product and make money off it, and can't be bothered brokering a deal with distributors, so will instead punish the consumer.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #117
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I said it was discussed and rejected by the stores. Blame the stores for being greedy. They make money off new copies, they just make more off used, and developers get nothing of that. This isn't small sums of money. And online passes and DLC is not punishing the consumer.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #118
Joe Redifer
Olé!

My liege of sentinels, I agree that stores have crazy prices for used games. That why I try to never shop at the likes of GameStop where used games are $5 less than brand new. If I do buy a used game, it's from a local store, not a national chain. I wish GameStop could be taken down and if something happens that prevents them specifically from selling used games, then I'd at least get to take delight in that. But otherwise there is nothing illegal or immoral about the selling and buying of used games.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #119
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
And online passes and DLC is not punishing the consumer.
Except the opposite is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
There is nothing illegal or immoral about the selling and buying of used games.
Amen.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #120
justin_credible

Pawn Shops ftw. There's like 15 of them in my town, and most of them sell all current gen games for $10 or less. Also PS2, Xbox and GC for $5.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote