The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #136
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Content doesn't get removed from a used game; content is simply added to copies bought new. It's not about punishments, it's about incentives. You're not getting punished for buying a used copy, there's simply extra incentive i.e. free bit of DLC, to buy a copy of the game new. No different to how some DVDs and music come with a voucher to download the song on iTunes or something.

Deus Ex: HR on PC came with a code to get the game on OnLive, for example. If you bought a used copy where someone had redeemed the code, it wouldn't work. I didn't hear anyone bitching about that.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #137
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Except it's not "free content". It's content taken out of the game and put behind a wall. Huge difference.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #138
Ernst

I second Einhander. However, I'd just like to make this a matter of record. Should the rumours of used games being turned into trial versions only on the PS4/XBoxWhatever be true, will you also be rationalising that as 'incentives to buy new'? That content hasn't been 'removed', it's just that content is 'added' when you buy new?
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #139
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Well then it looks like I should buy as many used games as possible before that happens.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #140
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
I second Einhander. However, I'd just like to make this a matter of record. Should the rumours of used games being turned into trial versions only on the PS4/XBoxWhatever be true, will you also be rationalising that as 'incentives to buy new'? That content hasn't been 'removed', it's just that content is 'added' when you buy new?
That's not an incentive though is it, that's basically forcing you to buy new, and so it's a bit different and I could understand people's complaints about a scheme such as that.

But no, the content is added. The full game, perfectly playable, is available when you buy a used game. I play 99% of my games without purchasing any DLC for them, and not once have I regretted it. I only buy the more 'expansion pack' type DLC, like the Battlefield BC2 Vietnam pack and stuff. And I bet it's the same for a lot of people here.

If I could get some of the DLC for free, hell yeah I'd want it, and so that's where the incentive comes; the new copy simply gives you one of those for free. The game is still playable and enjoyable without it, there's just some extra incentive to buy it new. No one's cutting the ending off or anything like that. I wouldn't agree with that.

This isn't intrusive or ruining of the game experience for new or used buyers, but as what happens so often, no matter what happens with the industry, people will complain about it. And most of the time people complain, and then when something finally arrives, it takes them about a month to realise "Why was I complaining?"

Everyone complained when you needed Steam to play CS, backlash was huge. Now no one does, because they realised it's not a big deal and doesn't ruin the game. Would be the same with this. Most people probably wouldn't even realise/care.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #141
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
But no, the content is added. The full game, perfectly playable, is available when you buy a used game
That was not the case with Batman AC.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #142
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Except it was. You could still play as Batman from start to finish and experience the game perfectly fine, the Catwoman segments weren't needed, they were just little detours relatively separated from the main game. It never said "You need a VIP pass to continue".
Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #143
Nem
Smash bro!

Everyone's favorite videogames analyst actually thinks used game sales dont hurt developers on the long term.

watch this weeks episode. Its the first question:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/us...-attack/728746

He makes sense when hes not hating on nintendo.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #144
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Quote:
Content doesn't get removed from a used game; content is simply added to copies bought new. It's not about punishments, it's about incentives.
What could possibly be a bigger incentive to purchase than having all content available on the disc/cart itself? The VG industry thrived and expanded for four console generations without DLC and in spite of used game sales. What will happen in the future once they discontinue online support for current-gen software? Collectors who purchase said software will not have access to all content whereas previous gen software will always be 100% complete.

It's sickening to watch the corporates of this generation locking content behind a paywall and attempting to deride the first-sale doctrine by conjuring up "protection" schemes to ensure that they find a way into the wallets of people who purchased used software. It reminds me of those MA movies where there's the criminal gang running roughshod over the town, demanding everybody pay up and do things on their terms. The inmates are running the asylum.

GameStop isn't any better. They rip-off the consumer by giving consumers little credit for used software and then resell at a premium. It may be within their right but I wouldn't support them in this way.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #145
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578 View Post
. What will happen in the future once they discontinue online support for current-gen software? Collectors who purchase said software will not have access to all content whereas previous gen software will always be 100% complete.
with any sense people will switch to pc gaming where everything still works from the year dot next to no issues, with the ability to rom the fuck out of the consoles. And the collections is automatically sorted alphabetically for you by steam

XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #146
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #147
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Except it was. You could still play as Batman from start to finish and experience the game perfectly fine, the Catwoman segments weren't needed, they were just little detours relatively separated from the main game. It never said "You need a VIP pass to continue".
Yet it was still content removed from different parts of the game. Even if the game was playable without it. It was still removed before release and released seperately as DLC for people buying the new game only.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #148
darren
... lol

did you have to pay for it? the cat women stuff was free with my new copy which i paid 18 for a week or so after it came out
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #149
Ernst

Lol. You see! My prophecies of the apocalypse are coming true. What are 'essential' bits of the game is becoming very cloudy and hard to define. Suddenly Catwoman's, a main character in AC, sections aren't really essential anymore. In so much as you can get through the game without playing as her, I agree. And if you use this definition, expect A LOT of stuff to be declared non-essential. it's crazy. Cray how people can defend this...
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #150
darren
... lol

i didnt pay for the catwomen content tho. it was free.