The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Drunken Savior

EA's Origin

So yeah, I finally got to play around with it since I'm downloading 'From Ashes' for Mass Effect 3. I'd rather have one big DD program like Steam, but that's just not going to be the reality.

I loaded up all the EA games I had (Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition and Dead Space 2) into Origin. It's nice that, like Steam, I can download them from EA's server. Would be even BETTER if I can play them without a disc. This is not the case with Mass Effect 2. Even though I registered my copy of ME2 with Origin, it still asks me for a disc when I ask to play it. That's weak. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of an all inclusive DD service if you need the physical media to still play the game if you register it with a physical copy?

Also, while I was downloading 'From Ashes' for ME3, the download quit and restarted each time I registered a game! Probably an oversight or something but it was really frustrating to have to begin a 500MB+ download all over again just because I registered a game.

I think Origin has the potential to be as good as Steam. It has one hell of an uphill battle though. Right now Origin is feature poor and has virtually no support for non-EA games in the store. They asked for 18 months before passing judgement on Origin, so I'll give it to them. But they better deliver.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Problem is by the time Origin matches today's Steam in features and reliability, Steam will have gotten even better, if Origin even gets that far since it's got quite a few hurdles to jump over; I don't think it'll ever surpass Steam. If EA weren't making all their games Origin-exclusive it would have no users, just like GFWL would. Valve is a more trust-worthy, nice company and I feel my games are safe on my Steam, more safe than on a disc. With EA, not as sure. I've got Origin running in a sandbox so it can't scan my computer or do anything, no trust with EA. Steam can do what it wants.

Also, that ME2 thing sucks. :/ Do you have it registered to Steam?

I've never understood why some people utterly hate and cried about having 2 DD programs. I'm like you, I'd rather just have 1, but it's not that bad needing 2. It takes like 20 seconds to install Origin, and you only use it while playing Origin-games. Never understood why some people would whine about needing 2 programs and outright swear off it for that reason.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Drunken Savior

I had to check, but no, I don't have ME2 on my Steam account. I bought a physical copy of the Collector's Edition in 2010.

Steam just has so much 3rd party support and indie support that it would be hard for Origin to keep up. You're right, they can't just catch up to Steam, they have to blaze a path that is their own.

Also, the download rate I'm getting from EA is horrendous (170 KB/s). Everytime I download something via Steam it's always maxing out my bandwidth.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yup, Steam is too big to be pushed over even if a program is marginally better, Origin would have to become considerably better; I don't think Steam will ever be beaten unless there's a catastrophic problem with Steam and it goes down for a long time, it's got too much support as you said. Gabe did say they'd deactivate Steam DRM if that should happen so we'd still be able to play our games..

If you still have the CD Key try and activate it on Steam, it might still let you and then you'll have all the awesomness of Steam at your disposal.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Drunken Savior

You should friend me, I have the same user name. <3

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I don't even have Origin installed on my new/shit PC. I'll install it sometime, probably when I buy ME3, add you, and we can talk on Origin JUST BECAUSE WE CAN!!!

*smashes beer can across forehead*
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
If there was only going to be one DD service, I want that service to be steam. Fuck all the rest, other than Gog.com, but gog is awesome for different reasons that doesn't compare to steam. ie no drms and they update older games to work on newer computers. Which is why they are awesome.

It's funny too, The Witcher dev said the version of Witcher 2 floating around on bit torrent isn't even the Gog version but the retail version with DRMs that got cracked. So cause they saw that, they aren't going to use DRMs anymore for their games! WOOO!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Alucard

Origin isnt too bad. The interactive Sims store is really useful with it. Buy store I mean not just buying shit but downloading things others have made. Steam and Origin are still way better then microsofts OnLive system. That thing just annoys me. It also does the same thing as ME2 did for you when I was playing Arkham Asylum. Always needed the game disc inserted even though I'm forced to log onto my profile at the same time. I try not to buy anything that uses Live.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Drunken Savior

I think you mistook 'Onlive' for 'Games for Windows Live.' Unless Microsoft owns Onlive too.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah I was thinking that too.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Alucard

SHUT UP YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Drunken Savior

Seems these stories seem to happen to every kind of DD site, I don't see why Origins would be exempt.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Because no where else has ME3. If I couldn't play me Mass Effect 3...I be not happy panda.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Drunken Savior

So Origin should be exempt from super strict automated processes that detect online cheaters that often target the innocent for whatever reason because it has Mass Effect 3?

I will say this though. Regardless of this guy's innocence, he shouldn't be banned from singleplayer if he's suspected of cheating in multiplayer. I think that was the point you were trying to make.

[Edit] And reading further down in the actual thread shows that Bioware supports my opinion regarding banning someone from singleplayer when their offense was on multiplayer.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: