The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #46
Nem
Smash bro!

SEGA did a pretty good job with Sonic CD, so hopefully they will keep the trend.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #47
Cybernator5000

I think sega shouldnt just use their older fans like that by just releasing old games again and not trying to inovate. I mean, just look at all of the genesis\mega drive collections!
Cybernator5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #48
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernator5000 View Post
I think sega shouldnt just use their older fans like that by just releasing old games again and not trying to inovate. I mean, just look at all of the genesis\mega drive collections!
They make plenty of new games too. The digital rereleases are just a way to make extra money on the side.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #49
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah that are made by backbone and are shitty ports. Shit is unacceptable Sonic CD is a gold standard if I am to buy any of that shit again.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #50
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Graffiti contest winners revealed. I really like most of these.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #51
Nem
Smash bro!

Actually, on the topic of SEGA not beeing totally useless... i've been playing Shinobi for the 3DS, and the reviews are quite deceiving. It is a really good game faithful to the genesis/game gear/arcade games. It has an awesome soundtrack and plenty of extras to unlock aswell.
It deserved a better reception and sales... but everyone just bitched about the graphics (wich arent that bad really, just a different art style).

Unfortunely with SEGA's recent financial results and with the game only selling 100k, i recommend everyone to pick it up because we wont be getting a sequal most likely, wich is a sad thing. If you want old school shinobi, get it while you can (really cheap aswell now).

Last edited by Nem; 05-14-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Nope. Not gonna like a game just because everyone else does.
Smart thinking there, man. I never liked playing Banjo Kazooie because I thought the controls in that game were broken beyond belief. But yet everyone else in this world still loves playing the first one on the N64. I guess they like playing games that plays like it was made by a blind guy.
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #53
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
Actually, on the topic of SEGA beeing totally useless... i've been playing Shinobi for the 3DS, and the reviews are quite deceiving. It is a really good game faithful to the genesis/game gear/arcade games. It has an awesome soundtrack and plenty of extras to unlock aswell.
It deserved a better reception and sales... but everyone just bitched about the graphics (wich arent that bad really, just a different art style).
I thought the graphics were pretty terrible. It looks like a first-gen DS or smartphone game rather than a 3DS game. That doesn't outweigh its other qualities, but reviewers aren't wrong for criticizing the visuals.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #54
justin_credible

I can't even begin to say how much Sega just irritates me these days. Don't even get started on 35,343,854 Yakuzas yet they can't afford to make Shenmue 3, but now it looks like they're porting Jet Grind Radio to the Vita.

Why not make a brand new one in the series? That game would be a must own for me and would make me want a Vita. A port of the first one on Dreamcast does not do that, because I can just play it on Dreamcast.

In a way I guess thank you Sega, you're just helping me save money by not buying a Vita, nor your silly port, or spending money on a Shenmue sequel that will never exist.

Quote:
The PS Vita version will include Vita Camera integration and touchscreen graffiti mechanics not found in the other versions.
Let me see if I can find the other shit I'm supposed to give about these exclusive features. This thread needs to be changed to Sega is beeing (notice the extra e, like the topic has) totally useless.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #55
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Well you know what, Sega is trying. I will give them that much. So they're less useless, and if you went to the VF5:FS event, Sega really came through with the alcohol and VF.

Zechin
Old 05-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #56
justin_credible

Trying what exactly? To make another Yakuza? Port a game that's 12 years old? Whoopie doo.

They're trying to piss me off and at that they're succeeding.

I dont know what you mean by Sega came through with the alcohol, but that explains alot, excessive drinking. That's the only logical explanation for Sega ever since they went 3rd party honestly. I mean if the first thing you say about how great Sega's event was is alcohol and not a game, there's nothing more to say.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #57
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

They had a VF5 event and supplied the free booze.

I played Yakuza, the game is alright, and it sells if they keep making them over and over again. I don't really understand why shenmue fans always cry for shenmue, how much did the game sell on DC? How much did it sell on Xbox? Now i am no game sales analyst, but I'm pretty sure if they are not making anymore shenmue games it's because it isn't selling, and the game cost way too much to make (I hear upwards of 20 milion at the time). It is a great game that told a good story for gaming at the time.

Then again, if you shenmue fans make enough noise like VF fans did for a port of the newest version, Sega may look your way. However, shenmue is a blockbuster type of game, so unless you guys want to, you know, sign a promissory note to sega saying that you will buy the game, you can forget about it. See what you made me do? You made me rant.

Zechin

Last edited by Kiuju2k; 05-28-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: heh
Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #58
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

I don't understand why rereleases would make you mad unless you're Einhander (in whose case the reason is simply insanity). They're cheap to produce and bring in good revenue. More importantly, they introduce the series to fans who may have missed the originals - especially necessary since the Dreamcast was such an underdog console. If the rerelease does well, it greatly increases the chances of a sequel being greenlighted. It's definitely a step in the right direction IMO.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #59
justin_credible

I am not just ranting about Shenmue, I mainly was ranting about Jet Grind Radio. But how would Sega know if Shenmue would sell today or not? There hasn't been one in 12 years, there's obviously a huge internet following for the games now that didn't exist back then.

Yakuza is a poor man's Shenmue. They were selling pretty well but they keep going down in sales and Dead Souls sold like a turd. But it's cool though if Yakuza sells like a turd just keep polishing those turds and eventually you'll have a gold nugget. (Sega logic)

How can anyone left on this earth defend Sega? I mean it's not even close to just these two games, they have sucked for years now. They've come out with waaay waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy more shit than good ever since they went 3rd party, and that was over a decade ago.

Most of the good games by them have been just as a publisher, they suck as a developer and have for a long time.

A port of JGR on Vita, a system a lot of developers are dumping, is not going to gain any interest in the franchise. In fact it will sell horribly and then Sega will decide "well nobody wants that series, no sequel"

I was a huge Sega fan in the 90's and if they didn't possess franchises I care about I wouldnt even bother to care, but they do.

When they try to bring back their old franchises the games are usually a complete wreck.

See:

Toe Jam & Earl III on Xbox
Altered Beast on PS2 (japan only, it was too much of a turd to even come to U.S.)
Golden Axe on PS3/360
Most Sonic games (there's been a few decent ones I'll give them that)
Nights on the Wii
Crazy Taxi 3 Xbox

So my theory is Sega is afraid to make a new game in any series other than pretty much Yakuza and Sonic, because they know it will suck.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #60
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

I'm sure it was easy to add a Vita port since they likely used highly portable tools to get the game running on modern systems. Also, Sony may have provided financial incentive to bring it over - we can't know.

Not sure why you criticized the Vita special features because those are actually things that suit this game pretty well. Blind Vita hate?

As for the Vita version selling poorly, that would more likely affect future Vita support rather than the future of the franchise. They would simply add up the total sales across all platforms and decide whether it made enough money to justify bankrolling a new game.

SEGA's console games are hit or miss, but I love most of their downloadable titles. They still need to revive more great games and release new stuff, but I'm glad to be able to play games I really love on my 360 or PC.