The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
bujeezus

pc upgrade on the cheap

so if you could only replace one of the following components with a sub $200 budget what would you get? current specs:

lga 775 2.8ghz dual core (not a core 2 duo)

2gb of 667 ddr2 (board doesn't support ddr3)

ati 3870

running win xp.

i'm not a frames per second whore. i'm completely happy with 30 fps, but it's the occasional hiccups that get on my nerves. is that more graphics card, processor or ram. or something else entirely.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Zack

graphics card because you can still use it if you decide to upgrade the rest of your system

or you could save up another $100 or so and replace your mobo,cpu,gpu, and ram w/ modern low/medium-end parts for better performance than just upgrading one single component for your current system

what game are you trying to play and at what setting/resolution?
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
darren
... lol

i'd get rip of xp first and for most
then the ram
then gpu
then mobo/cpu
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Alucard

Getting rid of xp and going to win7 also means he should up his ram from 2gb to 4gb at least. I think 8gb of ram is like $40 these days. A 560Ti would be around $230 I THINK. Those hiccups are because your video card is borderline shit. You dont need to be an fps whore. But the higher the frames the video pumps up, the higher the MINIMUM fps count will be, hence less hiccups.

Ah stuff it, heres ram and video card info..

Your choice of 4gb or 8gb of ram. Its a ponsy $11 difference so might as well go with the 8. If one of the memory sticks decides to FREAKISHLY DIE you can easily default back onto the others. Defaulting to 2gb though will so totally kill you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231311

Normal version of the 560Ti and the slightly overclocked version. Its a little extra money, but the performance boost will see you keep the card for another year easily. Pretty good price to pay for a simple $15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127594

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127565

Save up a little more and you're good with these. I actually dont know what memory your current board supports but it should be fine with that. CPU is a bit painful but it'll be fine for a couple years I'd say. Save up and replace the cpu and board later. Dont buy an ati video card or I will hunt you down. Its that video card or go buy another xbox.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
darren
... lol

Yeah a win7 and mem upgrade kinda go hand in hand .. 8gb ram is about 40 right now
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

There's a modded version of windows 7 called Windows 7 xdark. Someone told me it was made for gaming since it removes some of the background stuff running and strips down some other stuff. I would look into that. I installed it on virtualbox to test it and seems pretty ok.

As far as ur upgrade, get at least 4gb ram for gaming.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Alucard

Thats just way too much effort when you can spend $11 to bypass that rubbish.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
just get the 3d card, since you can move that to a new PC once you're done with the one you have now.

No point upgrading the entire PC, That's what I did and it runs fine but some motherboards don't have the right drivers for windows 7, just normal xp drivers and they can cause a lot of problems, mine is for example, even tho it's made for vista at least but the vista drivers crash a lot. You would have to track down all the drivers your MB uses if windows 7 doesn't find them itself.

Not worth the hassle IMO. You're better off just saving your cash and getting a new computer later on when i5 2500K goes cheaper from price drops or even the i7 2600K
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Alucard

I always install the latest motherboard drivers from the website whenever I get a new system.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
just get the 3d card, since you can move that to a new PC once you're done with the one you have now.

No point upgrading the entire PC, That's what I did and it runs fine but some motherboards don't have the right drivers for windows 7, just normal xp drivers and they can cause a lot of problems, mine is for example, even tho it's made for vista at least but the vista drivers crash a lot. You would have to track down all the drivers your MB uses if windows 7 doesn't find them itself.

Not worth the hassle IMO. You're better off just saving your cash and getting a new computer later on when i5 2500K goes cheaper from price drops or even the i7 2600K
imo this is the best advice. prices should do gown (but they might not on cpu's). My cpu, a q6600, stayed around $250 for 6-7 years. Only recently did it get dropped to ~$200. Also don't be afraid to buy a used cpu imo. They generally are quite resilient unlike graphics cards. I would stick with windows xp for now as well because dx9 is better performance wise.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
bujeezus

thanks for all the advice guys.