The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 01-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #61
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

The rumor stated that you'd need to be online in order to authenticate (activate) your software, which means that if you don't have an online connection, you're not playing.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #62
Alucard

Plenty of games have this, and not just ubisoft. Bloody sega is doing it too and so are a few others. Its also not limited to online games. Its for single player games too. And they want people to stop pirating? This shit just makes more people pirate then it normally would. I wonder how long till movie companies start doing this with movies. Buy a bluray, log onto the net with your bluray player to activate access to watching it through your account. After a few views you have to pay to re-activate it again. Its so coming.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #63
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578 View Post
The rumor stated that you'd need to be online in order to authenticate (activate) your software, which means that if you don't have an online connection, you're not playing.
which mean there will drop user base .. personally i dont believe everything i read in the press thank god

its 100% coming for online content on consoles that much is a given, single player stuff aimed at kiddies?? more chance of leapfrog doing it tbh
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #64
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Yup, it is, and there's no way to get around it except by voting 'no' with your money.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #65
darren
... lol

well no coz i dont give a shit tbh .. i never buy used games .. i HATE THEM, so i couldnt care less if some pikey that cant afford the retail or wait for a sale cant play it. .. i never buy used, games, books, dvds, blue rays etc .. never ..

the people who should be worried are the people that work at the likes of gamestop who make there money on rip off 2nd hand prices. but again .. i use online so couldnt give a toss what happens to them tbh
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #66
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Same here. Not a fan of buying used at all. Never sell games either.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #67
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

And you guys also never lend/borrow software.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #68
darren
... lol

nope, my mates buy there own stuff, plus i play 90% of my games on PC, unless i take my hdd round to Murrays house he's not borrowing anything.

the only people i see crying about this will be people that

a/ cant afford the retail price
b/ cant wait to get stuff 6 months after release cheaper in sales etc ..

so i couldn't give a crap about them .. if you cant afford it get a new fucking hobby tbh .. i'd love to go snowboarding in the Alps every weekend but i cant afford it .. i don't moan i just get one with doing something else in the time i cant go boarding.

/edit/

i forgot

c/ the people that buy a game day 1 .. run home beat it in one sitting run back the game and either get a full refund or trade it in, then run back beat it , run back to trade in .. rince and repeat ....

i couldnt give a toss about them either
Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #69
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Nope, me neither.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #70
Alucard

You arent noticing all the other stuff that come with the DRM. Its not just returning/lending/second hand etc. Theres more ways to screw you. Like your console dies and you replace it. Boom, you pay for your games again.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #71
darren
... lol

well .. that happened with my 360 .. and BOOM .. i just re downloaded all the stuff i had paid for .. same goes for my PS3, same goes for my PC my HDD goes pop .. BOOM i can reinstall my origin and steam games isnt the internet amazing .. so it kinda depends on how they do it doesnt it really

SOO .. untill they actual say what they are going to do if anything .. i'll wait and pass judgement then assuming they are going down the drm route ..

Last edited by darren; 01-27-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #72
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

No way in hell they are going to do that, you can' t possibly believe that next gen games will require online passes to play. Believe it or not there are still people out there that don't have access to the internet and their only access is via phone or library. Why alienate them? However I do believe gamestop is in trouble next go round I am sure they are planning some fuck over tactic.

For me used games can be games that you can no longer fine or last gen. I have plenty of used this gen that were this gen and were dirt cheap. I bought dragon age used, but I had to buy each of the individual content so I still basically paid full retail. However I bought ME used on live for 20 bucks and that is like the best investment I ever fucking made online. Just follow steam man, their sales are way better and the publisher/dev get the money.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #73
Alucard

Actually theres already a few publishers who slap certain DRM on their games that require you to be online to activate it once. If you have no way of getting online they pretty much shrug and dont care. Sega being one of them. They just dont give a shit.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #74
darren
... lol

you talking pc or console? as sega dont do it where they sell most off there stuff
Old 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #75
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
which mean there will drop user base .. personally i dont believe everything i read in the press thank god

its 100% coming for online content on consoles that much is a given, single player stuff aimed at kiddies?? more chance of leapfrog doing it tbh
Well they are testing it now with current games. EA more than anyone else. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/27/ki...ia-online-pas/