The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Dark Souls for PC?

Quote:
Quite a few people have sent me this link to a forum post in which a Namco employee suggests that has to be “demand” for a PC version of acclaimed console RPG Dark Souls, if it is to show up on the one true format. It seems to me that Namco decided there wasn’t demand, of course, because the game has so far only turned up on the TV boxes. That strikes me as a little strange, especially when you consider that historically-speaking PC gamers are VERY interested in making armoured men hit fantasy enemies with swords and sharp sticks. Underpin that with unforgiving RPG mechanics and that DOES sound like our kind of game. But I suppose there are only thirty million or so Steam accounts, and hundreds of millions of better-than-360-spec PCs worldwide… What possible market could there be for such a game on the age old Windows machine? Eh? Oh, and Namco, while you are converting Dark Souls to PC you might as well do Enslaved too? I mean it can’t possibly hurt. Thanksmuch!

UPDATE: Namco have said that this is nothing more than a “rumor” stemming from the link (obviously) and offer no comment on whether they are likely to produce a PC version of the game.

Update 2: Here’s a petition to sign for Dark Souls PC, if you like signing petitions. Over 9000 signatures so far. Let’s hope it makes the right executives pay attention.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...k-souls-on-pc/

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

I played Demon's Souls, but not Dark Souls, and would love to if it came over to the PC as a relatively good port. Whether or not a petition, which rarely works, actually does work remains to be seen. But 25k signatures already is not bad, especially since the petition has only been live for 23 hours.

I wonder how many of them will actually fork out the money for it though.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Chronos
fuggit

I think it would sell really well on the PC and over time sell even more than either console version.

Only issue I see is translating the controls properly to mouse and keyboard. Most would play it with a console pad, but some users are bound to want playable mouse and keyboard controls.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Alucard

It would do just fine on the pc. I wouldnt be one of the buyers though. Got too many games to waste my time on a grindfest with zero story.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

no grinding required...sure, if you're not good at the game grinding early can help carry you a bit, but in the end a level 1 who is skilled will have an easier time than someone who grinds their stats up.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I think From Software have zero experience with PC which means Namco would have to do the porting themselves most likely. That could turn out bady...
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Only one game, Ninja Blade. Alright port, but a bad game. I'm sure if they wanted to, they'd manage Dark Souls okay anyway.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
darren
... lol

if its on 360 a pc port would be easy to pc
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
It would do just fine on the pc. I wouldnt be one of the buyers though. Got too many games to waste my time on a grindfest with zero story.
Dark Souls does actually have a very intriguing story, it is just told through very minimal exposition and mostly through rare NPC encounters and item descriptions. People are still piecing the puzzle together. I think its an original and exciting method of storytelling as it actually requires your imagination instead of having everything spoon fed to you.

Dark Souls is also different in the way you are not the hero, savior or Dragonborn; in fact the game doesn't give a fuck about you. You are just another insignificant 'new arrival'. Without spoiling anything even when you complete the game nothing really gets any better. It can even get worse, and for a game that is already set in a dead world beyond any kind of redemption that is saying something :p

Dark Souls appeal is in its oppressive, melancholical and lonely atmosphere that uncovering its dense secrets somehow went from brilliant game design to genuine artistic ingenuity. The game's harsh challenges are also immensely rewarding when you finally overcome them, giving a sense of accomplishment modern games have lost. The action RPG elements are spot-on and very precise so dying never feels frustrating but only motivates to gain more skill and figure out new ways to defeat a particular enemy or obstacle. And the other half of the fun lies in unearthing the ubiquitous game world that is structured in a very strange way yet makes perfect sense when you figure out how it is all interconnected.

Dark Souls is truly different than anything you ever played in both setting, combat and story(even if it doesn't appear that way on the surface). I was also really glad the game was released on 360 because more people need to play this game!!!!!11
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Northeastmonk

Its strange Namco is making all the decisions considering this series launched under SCEJ publishing. I'd hope they improve on the multiplayer aspect just because hacks are made a lot easier on PC.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
calintz
thank you based god

i need to play one of these games

which should i go - dark souls or demon souls?
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

This game would benefit heavily from the MOD community. I would double dip if it were on pc. Fuck yeah. Stat mods and shit would be fucking awesome, unerf pyromancy ftw

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
i need to play one of these games

which should i go - dark souls or demon souls?
demon's souls. should be able to find it really cheap by now.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
calintz
thank you based god

yeah that's what i was thinking, but thought, maybe, just maybe, the sequel was better

cos you know, that would be normal...
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
Shorty0061
Shorty the Butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
yeah that's what i was thinking, but thought, maybe, just maybe, the sequel was better

cos you know, that would be normal...
It's not better or worse. Each game handles a lot of things differently, like Demon's souls was level-based. You'd warp to a section of the world and and fight a series of bosses. Each time you beat one, you get a warp checkpoint in that level/world. Dark souls is just an open world game for the most part that is soft gated by bosses blocking your path. There are differences between the games, but they're both great experiences. And there no fucking grinding necessary in either game unless you want to. In fact you start to get diminishing returns on leveling fairly quick in the games.

I'd buy dark souls again to play on pc if the port isnt shit.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroopwafel View Post
Dark Souls does actually have a very intriguing story, it is just told through very minimal exposition and mostly through rare NPC encounters and item descriptions. People are still piecing the puzzle together. I think its an original and exciting method of storytelling as it actually requires your imagination instead of having everything spoon fed to you.

Dark Souls is also different in the way you are not the hero, savior or Dragonborn; in fact the game doesn't give a fuck about you. You are just another insignificant 'new arrival'. Without spoiling anything even when you complete the game nothing really gets any better. It can even get worse, and for a game that is already set in a dead world beyond any kind of redemption that is saying something :p

Dark Souls appeal is in its oppressive, melancholical and lonely atmosphere that uncovering its dense secrets somehow went from brilliant game design to genuine artistic ingenuity. The game's harsh challenges are also immensely rewarding when you finally overcome them, giving a sense of accomplishment modern games have lost. The action RPG elements are spot-on and very precise so dying never feels frustrating but only motivates to gain more skill and figure out new ways to defeat a particular enemy or obstacle. And the other half of the fun lies in unearthing the ubiquitous game world that is structured in a very strange way yet makes perfect sense when you figure out how it is all interconnected.

Dark Souls is truly different than anything you ever played in both setting, combat and story(even if it doesn't appear that way on the surface). I was also really glad the game was released on 360 because more people need to play this game!!!!!11
No see, I dont want my story to be 1 line of text every 10 hours of gameplay, needing to fight an enemy a million times to figure out how to defeat it so I can move on and do it all again. Majority of what you describe there can be used with an MMO. And I get tired of those after a while. Dark Souls is simply non stop combat with little else. Its really not for me.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote