The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #61
Alucard

Its strange but as a kid I wouldnt of been interested with 90% of the wii's library. Are kids just really slow and simple these days or something.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #62
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Basically, we all get sick of old technology. Whether this is a gimmick for the Wii U or not.

I've come to notice that it doesn't matter how up to date and expensive the technology you're using to future proof it. Spec wise, Guaranteed there will always be something next year technologically surpassing what you currently have. Look at the smartphones here for case in point.

I really think Nintendo's philosophy at the moment is, 'who gives a shit'. We'll just provide them with a different experience, because if we have the most up to date specs. It'll get outdated in 2 years. (that is if they really really invest in something outstanding) Our manufacturing costs will be up the asshole and we'll have to wait 2-3 years to break even banking on that technology while at the same time having the dev costs of making games. When it costed a bajillion to R&D.

I understand that Nintendo always seem behind on the curve in regards to online/technology. But only time will tell. Running a business is complicated when it comes to risk/reward factors. And strategy wise, I don't think people make them out to be as stupid as they appear to be.

Though there is something I do agree with. The online could do with so much more now. Online/multiplayer whether it be social/competitive gaming is becoming more and more relevant. All they need to do is put in efficient parental controls in the 'online' regard and that problem will easily be solved. But they've taken the family friendly image, so I doubt they'll break out of that mould.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #63
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(̀ώ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
In my opinion, since the console itself is powerful enough for this current gen, only the price tag can determine whether Wii U is a success on sales and attract a lot of good quality third party to create and release the game for it.

Without strong support of 3rd party , I believe no console can hold a competition long enough. PlayStation One had an effing superb history of strong 3rd parties support with a family-friendly price tag.

About the talking of Nintendo should go 3rd party : rest assured that it will never happen. They are historical (video) game maker and they will do everything to keep that rep up. Personally I'm still sad that Sega quitting console business and go 3rd party : because they can still on business if they were using proper business plans and executives.
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3] - God Of War Ascension [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #64
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
money talks mate ..
It's not a question of money. It's a question of face for Japanese companies.

They'll merge with other Japanese companies, but they'll never let a dirty gaijin company buy them out.

If it came to it, the government of Japan would put a stop to it.

It's not a question of money, it's a question of culture and pride. It will never happen.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #65
darren
... lol

Culture and pride or lame xenophobia? And that stupid xenophobic attitude is why the japanese games industry had gone down the lav over the years.

Personally it will never happen , but apple are one company that could pull it off if they wanted party due to its reputation globally, Everything has a price no matter what anyone says.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 AM   #66
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(̀ώ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
True. But Apple seems reluctant to jumping into serious video game business although their iTunes games sold like a hotcake.

They even can built their own video game division and be a top dog in console wars and be a new Nintendo like Nintendo used to be in 80's
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3] - God Of War Ascension [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #67
Alucard

If Apple ever came into the console race they would seriously destroy.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #68
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

No they wouldn't. There's no evidence to say they would 'destroy' Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony if they suddenly jumped into the gaming market. I'm sure they could give it a good crack but I doubt they'd do much. Stick to the shit you already make, Apple.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #69
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Apple's app store is too good. All they have to do is provide the hardware for it. Though there is alot of junk on it from indie devs. I doubt consoles are something they'll be brave enough to do now that Steve is gone. Especially since he was interested in the market, it seemed more plausible. Just look at what they did with the music sector when they were interested.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #70
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

The app store is different though. You wouldn't make a game console with just an app store, you need the big AAA games too, otherwise they'd just get obliterated by the other consoles. They should stick to the market which they're dominating rather than go into another just to be dominated.

App games can't really be compared to even Indie games, let alone AAA titles. They cater differently. The apps are to waste a bit of time with. You don't get totally immersed into an amazing, huge world with so much to do like AAA titles do. Or some do.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #71
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Apple takes a cut from every app sold in their store, as well as music, movies, etc. They heavily regulate everything so that their platforms aren't open, unlike your general purpose PC, which is ironic since the open-source environment is far and away the best reason to own a computer. One could argue that what Apple does isn't all that far removed from what VG companies like Nintendo already do, so it's your call. I for one wouldn't want Apple to enter the console foray.

As for the argument about Nintendo releasing more software than just Mario and Zelda, so what? My Wii collected dust unlike any other console. Heck, I played my GC more often. Nintendo releases one or maybe two games per year worth checking out. Incidentally, the NES and SNES never saw droughts like this. As a matter of fact, I'm hard-pressed to recall a time when either one suffered from a lack of good software. This is the thing Nintendo can't seem to figure out, that every game doesn't have to be of the absolute highest quality.

The next time someone wants to take you to task about what a great developer Nintendo supposedly is, ask them which scenario is better on a per year basis: 10-12 fun, interesting new titles with maybe a few rough edges or that one highly polished new 20 hour Mario adventure with nothing else to do for another year?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #72
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578 View Post
,ask them which scenario is better on a per year basis: 10-12 fun, interesting new titles with maybe a few rough edges or that one highly polished new 20 hour Mario adventure with nothing else to do for another year?
Well if you don't mind a few rough edges there have been some pretty good games released on the Wii over the years by Nintendo and by 3rd parties that people just generally ignored mainly the 3rd party ones.

Obviously not know because the Wii is almost at it's end but there's still 2 high quality titles two come.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #73
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

That's funny because the few titles I was interested in playing, NoA wouldn't approve of domestically: Fatal Frame, Last Story, Pandora's Tower. Almost all of Nintendo's Wii software is just fodder. As someone brought up, Nintendo has all but completely shunned the enthusiast gamers. What makes you think Wii U won't be more of the same?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #74
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

You'll get The Last Story in the end I would say that's a pretty big title. Bigger then Xenoblade considering who is behind it. FFIV was a good game I'm really hoping Nintendo/Tecmo Koei bring over the spin-off on the 3DS.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #75
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
What makes you think Wii U won't be more of the same?
Can people not read? I've said this about 5 times now, and it was everywhere over the Internet after E3.

Nintendo are continuing with what they're likely done in the past, in that their exclusives will be fully polished and released to a lot of hype and acclaim. They're all something to look forward to on the console. and it's good to have. But they're also attracting the third-party developers now, and from who have expressed interest, it's working. So the Wii U, unless everything caves in, all the devs pull out and Nintendo goes back to being closed off about their console, will not be more of the same because we'll be getting less space inbetween awesome games.

They're not stupid. They know where they went wrong with the Wii and have openly acknowledged this, and are actively fixing it for the Wii U.