The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #46
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well, Aliens was probably a quick port. It didn't have years of development I'm guessing, like every other game had. I didn't see that bit it would be cool. And about not all games using it, I mentioned that earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
Some games might require 2 screens, since Nintendo have said, like with the 3DS' 3D, games aren't being forced to make it revolve around the controller's screen
Nintendo's more relaxed attitude is really good, if it sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourself
onlive looks rubbish tho .. they down scale everything to shit to get to stream as a good frame rate and it looks terrible because of it. onlive is a giant fail until they can at least have high def resolutions. .. fuck the onlive clone i built at home for lolz streams to my mac, laptop and my wife HP touch pad in full hd.
I said the basic concept is like OnLive, and the Wii U will obviously do a much better job since the connection isn't being beamed around the world. Just that it's the console powering it, not the controller. But look, you built one yourself, and unless you're Tony Stark in disguise, others can too. Like, say, one of the biggest gaming companies in the world. That's awesome btw, I would love something like that myself. I haven't got the knowledge to even attempt to though. Hate networking and all that malarky.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #47
darren
... lol

hahah .. its easy .. just need about 30k's worth of software installed, shit loads of ram and more than 1 gpu .. and that lot is not going into the wiiU either. LOL

which is my point .. to do it well it costs .. and we all know nin don't like cost. they will do it with wiiware, nes, snes etc etc .. and hell thats a cool idea as its easy to do load the game into the controller ram and run it locally, have the wiiU set up to properly stream the retail stuff?? not seeing it myself tbh unles they simply put VNC in it .. which is a recipe for disaster right there .. not matter what tools like reggie say, reggie will tell you it will give you a reach around if he thought it would sell a few
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #48
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

They're keeping the cost down by not beefing the console up all too much. I would agree with you if I hadn't already seen the Wii U working as it does. So it's obviously working. We'll see how the price is for it, but it's definitely going to have the feature. Nintendo might be counting on the fact that the next Xbox and PS3 will probably be considerably more expensive.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #49
darren
... lol

dont you just wanna face rape him
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #50
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Now that you mention it... definitely.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #51
darren
... lol

a nostril each?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #52
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I call the left one!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #53
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
[the Wii controls were] a nice little jump forwards as far as technology goes.
Not really. The Super Scope and Menacer did a similar thing on 16-bit consoles, just without the accelerometer. And they were far more accurate as pointing devices. Hell, even the Power Glove on the NES was based on the same technological principles.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #54
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

A nice little jump. I never said they were the first ever motion controls or anything, but they've arguably made the biggest impact and shown motion gaming has a place, since it kind of vanished away in the industry in all regards apart from the Eye Toy. I don't think 90 million Super Scopes and Power Glovers are sat in people's homes right now, are they?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
Joe Redifer
Olé!

So the amount of sales is proportionate to the jump in technology? Not sure what you're trying to say. I'm just saying the Wii is ancient technology not only in the controls but in the console itself.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #56
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Not sales, impact. It impacted a lot more than the previous, only 1 of which I'd even heard of; people saying it wouldn't work before it was released, motion techology before this being quite limited and just for the odd mini-game unlike the Wii using it for all games. How well it managed this is debateable, but it did a lot better than any competitor.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #57
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'm not even trying to bring any comparison or relevance to the amount of sales. Just stating that it is old technology. Maybe new to many grandmas out there, but still old hat. They even had to fix it after release with the Wii Motion Plus because it just wasn't good enough. Like the N64 RAM expansion, I never bothered with the Motion Plus. I've used Motion Plus at Vicviper's house and honestly I couldn't tell the difference.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #58
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior
Is anyone here saying Nintendo only makes Mario and Zelda games or was that just an random rant?
Not a rant, maybe a little over done

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmetal
Yeah, Nintendo always brings something fresh, like a new Zelda or another Mario game. lol

But seriously i just find Mario and Zelda games boring, not for me.
Yeah he did say something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
For a minute there I thought thesoftware was listing a gamecube system lineup
I wish, the gamecube had tons of great games that need to be on the wii u

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
Is it? I know you’re quick to come to Nintendo’s defense but stop and actually think about what I’m proposing.

Yes, most of Nintendo’s past ideas you listed were what I would consider genuine innovations. Shoulder\Trigger buttons, Rumble, Analog sticks, things that were universally praised for making games better.

I don’t feel the same about a lot of Nintendo’s more recent ideas (both DS & Wii), nor I would say do a majority of dedicated game players or developers.
Well I come to their defense because they take so much shit for one generation of consoles. Hardcore fans were let down and most 3rd parties failed to utilize what the system offered. Nintendo themselves made blunders, I think they were also unsure of how the system would preform..but with the Wii u they seem back to biz as usual..they have always produced on par or better tech systems than the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316, concerning all Wii u games being able to run on the controller
all i'm saying is they never said all games and no way it will be all games, and IMO anyone thinking they will be able to are kidding themselves
Darren did you ever read this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksiders II producer Ryan Stefanelli
Our one and only goal once we got the Wii U hardware was to get Darksiders II running on it. We didn’t even have running the game on the touch screen on our ‘to do’ list. but once we got it running, we just fooled around with getting it on the touch screen as a lark. It took all of five minutes and two lines of code, and boom! – there was the entire game running on the controller. Amazing.”
Don't sound to complicated to me.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #59
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The touch screen is much lower resolution and is also compressed streaming video, not an actual display hooked up to the systems video display processor like a TV is. It's more like a Youtube video of the game action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoftware6180
the gamecube had tons of great games that need to be on the wii u
Maybe so, but having those games didn't do any wonders for the Gamecube's sales.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #60
darren
... lol

Wiiu will have loads of great games for kids and families.