The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Microsoft already tried that didn't they?
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

If there were ever a replacement for Nintendo. I'd say Apple would and could easily fill their spot in this console war.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah they did.

Honestly, anyone who says Nintendo's strategy is bad is just stupid. The DS is the best selling gaming platform ever I think? If not, it's still sold a shit load. The Wii sold better than both other consoles, since they're both at about 50 million and its at around 90 million, and the 3DS has just broke hardware sales in Japan, selling 1.4million units in a month. I think both Microsoft and Sony would kill for those sales. So he's a moron for saying their strategy doesn't work, since it clearly does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
There is a big difference between Innovation and Different. Iím all for new ideas but unless that new idea is a genuine improvement then itís more of a step backwards than an innovation. Wiiís whole waggle affair made so many otherwise great games worse by making actions imprecise and tiresome to perform. Right now I don't see how holding a giant, relatively uncomfortable tablet for a controller and having to take my eyes off my nice TV is an innovative step forward for gaming. It's a bigger more obnoxious version of the DS's two screen concept.
How is it not innovation? It's going to change the way games are played. It'll make games which get boned by the controller, and really can only be played with a mouse, able to come onto the console. Relic didn't want to port their games to Xbox and PS3 because they didn't like the control scheme. Their next RTS games, like Dawn of War 3 and Company of Heroes 2, which is in development, could hit Wii U. And that's awesome.

Also, most people have said it's comfortable to hold, and you won't constantly be looking down on it. I have a keyboard when I play games and I glance down sometimes to press a button, like I for inventory or K for skills during an RPG, but that's rare and it hasn't hampered my game experience ever, and won't for the Wii U controller too.

As for comfort:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo World Report
Perhaps most importantly, the controller is comfortable and lightweight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enGadget
In the hand the controller feels light, and it feels comfortable. It's most similar to the old GameCube controller, really, but much wider and with more buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG247
Itís comfortable to hold, and your fingers easily find the two analogue sticks and the buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG
Surprisingly, for a unit so large, it's actually pretty comfortable. It's by far the biggest twin-analogue controller we've ever used (sorry original Xbox, your chunky crown has been stolen) and yet it sits in your hand remarkably well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
The tablet itself appears large, but is actually quite comfortable to grip. The two sliders both being located at the top of the tablet make holding it considerably easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda Informer
What really wowed me, though, is how comfortable the controller is. I was expecting it to be moderately heavy, at least relatively speaking, but it seemed almost impossibly light!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I don't necessarily agree that Nintendo should go third-party but I do think they need to get their act together. I'm not sure what to make of the Wii U's controller at this point but I'm definitely not sold on it. Just how well would that tablet work for fast-paced, high precision gaming?

It's true that most of the console innovation has come from Nintendo but it's also true that others have subsequently done a better job using their ideas. Think about how much more comfortable the standard Saturn controller is than the SNES pad, or about how both the Saturn and PlayStation analog controllers felt so much more comfortable than the clunky N64 controller.

Nintendo's Japanese market dominance is pretty much a given at this point and there are more than enough Nintendo enthusiasts abroad to maintain a strong presence in the market. But Nintendo has this rather aggravating habit of releasing maybe one A++ title every year or so and release a bunch of sub-par offerings to hold people over inbetween. Third-party support has been lackluster since the N64/GC days and I've yet to be convinced that things will be any different this time around.

I predict Nintendo will parade around the obligatory Mario offerings, spend 3/4 years showing off teasers for the next Zelda, somehow find a way to break Metroid and perhaps Kid Icarus too, HAL will be forced to create a dozen more Kirby titles, and there will be a slew of nonsensical gimmick-based software. They'll still be charging to download ancient games released well over a decade ago rather than do the smart thing and make their back catalogs freely available for anyone to enjoy. In other words, the Wii U will be a direct continuation of the Wii.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Kingofsentinels you are 100% seeing the big picture. I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would suggest a company that is doing so damn well go third party. It is like saying apple should stop making ipads,iphone and the like..makes no sense.
I think a lot of people on this site only reads this site..because I thought it was common knowledge that almost all feedback on the controller was positive..its a standard controller with a screen,some people make it seem like some kinda of abomination.

As far as new fresh gaming ideas go, anyone that denies nintendo always brings something new and fresh to the table is not paying attention or just does not like the company .its not my opinion this is fact and its clear fact. Anyone saying they should go third party clearly miss where nintendo strenghts lay..they desingn unique hardware and design thier games around the idea.Take a look at skyward swords..mario galaxy..supermario 64..mario 3d. If you were to take these games and put them on another gaming system they would not have been the same at all and we must agree that these are some of the best games in history due to the unique features mixed with gameplay.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
progmetal
!

Yeah, Nintendo always brings something fresh, like a new Zelda or another Mario game. lol

But seriously i just find Mario and Zelda games boring, not for me.

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #22
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Lack of 3rd party support? PSHAW! Batman: Arkham City is due for a timely release on the Wii U at the end of 2012! If that's not to your liking, you can always enjoy UNTITLED from TBA, which will be released soon after.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah, the Wii U had attracted a lot of third-party support. It's when the new Xbox and PS come out we have to worry about them sticking with it.

But for at least a year, Wii U will likely be getting a tonne of stuff since it'll be top dog, and lots of developers may stick to it even afterward. Cheaper development than next generation most likely, the screen might become a loved addition, and we don't know how much the Wii U will sell and how much the next consoles will too. They might just be too expensive. I can see the Wii U attracting quite a few devs not usually on consoles too. It'd be perfect for stuff like Diablo and strategy games, and I'm sure PC devs would love to get their games to a bigger market, which they can do now with the Wii U without fucking with the controls.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Lets not forget the thing will most likley have an app store. They already started with the 3ds..flip note, calculators and such. Im not saying its a game changer but they can tap into the tablet market to a small extent. Some people love playing angry birds , burn the rope and having an e-reader, not to mention web browsing, netflix, facebook and twitter..if done right people who dont own or cant afford a tablet can get a semi fix. I know its not portable but I use my table at home more than I do outside.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
Alucard

Watch that not happen either. I think people also forgot nintendo posted a loss this year for the first time ever. I'm also not only black listing their next console, but their handheld too for fucking me around with the 3DS. Thanks for the support you useless company. I'll buy your shit when its in its last year of production. Might have more then 3 games for me to play by then.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
Yeah, the Wii U had attracted a lot of third-party support. It's when the new Xbox and PS come out we have to worry about them sticking with it.
Yeah, that's what I think is very likely to happen. Despite selling a ton of Wiis, the system had poor 3rd party support, for whatever reason. With this dangerous precedent set, I can easily imagine a scenario where the Wii U gets 3rd party support at first, but when developers start making games around Microsoft and Sony's nextgen systems, the Wii U might get left behind.

Not saying this is the only possible way the next generation will play out, but it's kind of a shocking to see a console sell so many units from an established company and get such poor support.

I'm with Alucard on this. Unless the thing is dirt cheap (<$200, which I think is unlikely), I won't be getting a Wii U until much later down the line when I can look back at this possible outcome and say it was dead wrong. But, I predicted the graphic differences between the Wii and the 360/PS3 would put the Wii at a huge disadvantage way back when so I'm feeling like there's no reason history won't repeat itself.

Of course, if Nintendo pulls some amazing launch with Zelda, Metroid, and Starfox....consider me fucked, cuz I'd shove my money down Nintendo's throat.

Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #27
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

The 3DS had nothing really at launch. Let's hope they don't make the same mistake with the Wii U; looking at their development cycle, in late 2012, we can be expecting a Mario game. Mario Galaxy was released in late 2007. Mario Galaxy 2 was released mid 2010. And so, late 2012, we can speculate we could be getting at least a Mario game on launch from Nintendo, judging by the time differences. We could get a Smash Bros. too, if Nintendo are feeling generous.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

People make me laugh when they say nintendo only realese zelda and mario games. If anything we should be congradulating them on being able to keep big names like that alive and fresh, with great reviews and strong sales this long. No other company can claim the same,its quite amazing. We all know what happened to sonic. We can even go deeper.. Contra, shenmue, bionic command, vectorman, golden axe, silent hill, castlevania,final fantasy.

I could go on but not one of these farnchises live up to their former glory old and new. If we look even further you see "milking" a franchise is normal. In this gen of consoles alone we got 3 gears of wars, 3 uncharted like 5 call of duties, 3mass effects, 4or 5 assasins creeds, 3 saints rows, 3 bioshocks..i mean come on. challenge anyone of these devs to be in the market as long as nintendo and keep their games as popular and money making. It wont happen.

Now lets see how much games nintendo developes off the top of my head.
Mario with spinoffs(kart tenis, rpg ect)
Zelda
Metroid
Pikmin
Animal crossing
Smash brothers
Kirby
Donkey kong
star fox
Nintendogs
Luigi mansion
Wii spotrs and spinoffs(wii fit ,wii play ect)
Brain age
And a few other notables I cant think of atm. Mario and zelda only my ass lol.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #29
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Is anyone here saying Nintendo only makes Mario and Zelda games or was that just an random rant?

Games I'm hyped for
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #30
darren
... lol

random we dont need 3rd party rant??? but they do BIG time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoftware6180 View Post
Lets not forget the thing will most likley have an app store. .
yeep as will ms and sony .. and based on Nintendos current online .. theres will be the worst of the bunch
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote