The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Steam Sales More Than Double For the Seventh Straight Year

Quote:
Disproving the power of packaged goods once again, Valve's Steam digital download platform saw another year of massive growth in 2011, with sales more than doubling and the number of simultaneous users surpassing the five million mark. What gets five million people on Steam all at once?

You can blame those damn Steam holiday sales for a large portion of those numbers, the annual deal days bringing in buyers in the millions to partake in the sort of savings retail outlets just can't match.

Over the past year the service has grown to offer more than 1,800 games to its 40 million registered users, doubling its server structure to handle the more than 780 petabytes of data served in 2011. A Petabyte equals 1,000 Terabytes of information. I had to look that up.

As their dominance of the computer room continues to grow, Valve looks forward to annexing your living room in 2012.

"Steam and Steamworks continues to evolve to keep up with customer and developer demands for new services and content," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve via an official announcement. "Support for in-game item trading prompted the exchange of over 19 million items. Support for Free to Play (FTP) games, launched in June, has spurred the launch of 18 FTP titles on Steam, with more coming in 2012. Looking forward, we are preparing for the launch of the Big Picture UI mode, which will allow gamers to experience Steam on large displays and in more rooms of the house."

As the PC sections of video game retailers continue to shrink, Steam is only getting stronger. It's gotten to the point where, outside of extravagant boxed collector's editions, I can't think of a single good reason to leave my house to buy a PC game anymore. Soon they will devour the market.

Then begins their sinister phase two.
http://kotaku.com/5873708/steam-sale...he-big-picture

Is there anything Valve can do which doesn't turn to gold? Nice to see Steam continuing to grow. And people had the cheek to say PC Gaming was dying...
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
darren
... lol

i saw this earlier . interesting they did put a $$ value to the growth just a % .. i'm sure its a lot tho

40 mill registered users, i'd love to know how many are active not even half a guess .. i'm sure that 40mil figure will include people who have not used it for years ..

but pc gamers can still only pay for just over 1 mill copies of BF3 for PC .. but when over 3.5mil copies are priated since it came out in Nov i guess that about sums up a lot of PC gamers.

this made me LOL

Quote:
It's gotten to the point where, outside of extravagant boxed collector's editions, I can't think of a single good reason to leave my house to buy a PC game anymore. Soon they will devour the market.
i can the fact the retail is 10 cheaper than the DLC version everytime. who writes half this dross in the web these days.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well they hit 5 million concurrent users on one day. So at a minimum 5 million are active, and that was done during American peak time I think, making the European markets relatively all asleep at the time and few would have contributed to that. That's an impressive number for a dying platform regardless. In 2009, on MW2's release, it only peaked at 2 million players. Steam is on in the background most of the time when people are on their PC, with XBL only being on when people play games so that explains why, but at the same time, it's an impressive statistic nevertheless, and shows how much the platform has grown. As I type this, there's 4.4million people logged onto Steam.

Steam is such a good thing to have happened to PC Gaming, I've saved so much money and time with it. I can't wait to see what else Valve can do with it.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
darren
... lol

oh not saying its not great . it really is but its also an utter CON from new stuff when you can get the retail for less the same day .. great for sales .. but at the moment greenman is way better for bargains and the funny thing is they are just re selling steam activation codes every time for me.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah I am on Steam one way or another. I haven't been lately because I just installed it on my laptop to play Dungeon Defenders, which I haven't been playing. Been on my grind.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah that is true. I do get a lot of stuff from Amazon on release, since 10 cheaper is great. I checked in at GAME and their PC games are full priced just like Steam, was a bit shitty. And the section was tiny. But I like having great games, like Deux Ex, tied to my Steam. I'm willing to pay an extra bit of money for that insurance, especially since the sales make me save so much money any.

Also, I've never even heard of Greenman.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
darren
... lol

i have the retail deus ex .. and its tiled to my steam acc .. 10 cheaper

http://www.greenmangaming.co.uk/ Batman AC is 15 at the mo
Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #8
Chronos
fuggit

if you're a hardcore gamer, eventually you will graduate to pc's. it's inevitable.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Northeastmonk

Steam is like the itunes for pc games, but with way better prices.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Alucard

Plenty of games on steam are cheaper then retail for me. Only a handful arent and thats because of the fucking publisher. Also double check when you buy from greenman. They rock, but some of their games are listed as either steam or Windows Live etc. I know Batman city is windows Live, its the only reason I didnt buy it when they had their $24 special the other day.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
darren
... lol

Quote:
Plenty of games on steam are cheaper then retail for me
on day of release? .. next time a game comes out show me when its cheaper on steam than getting the retail .. never seen it

i have the retail Batman AC its windows live. nothing wrong with it. was only 20
Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
Alucard

It is if you have trouble logging into the piece of shit. Its totally random for me.

*enter*

-Sorry your password or username is wrong

*enter without changing anything*

-Welcome to windows live!

...........fuck you. Also I cannot log into the market place. No reason, just wont let me. At all. And is there a way to load up windows Live without loading a game up because I cant find this magical option. If it isnt there then theres further reason why its shit.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
darren
... lol

you can play without logging in. but tbh never had any problems .. it just quto logs in like everything else .. never had any issues
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah, I have my online and offline GFWL account. I use the offline more often than not, and I've never had any problems with it.

GFWL isn't as bad as people whine about, I've literally had only 1 problem with it, and that was Bioshock 2 not updating and GFWL keep turning the game off because of it, but playing with my offline account fixed that. People who say it locks them out of their game etc. must be unable to copy + paste their CD key right.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Windows Live for games just isn't executed well. Seems more like a hindrance in usability when you launch a game. Dead rising 2 for example. I just rage each time it says 'Yes there is an update'. I log in and tell it to update and it restarts. Mind you, me getting sick of the obligation to sign in everytime. *Clicks the remember to sign me in, with remember password and account*. Game restarts to update. Only to lo and behold. Having to re-enter my password and select the same options, to login. YET AGAIN.

This is also launching the game through steam. I can understand it's a nice feature if you have xboxlive so you can see what your friends are playing in the mean time. But really *shrugs*
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote