The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Alucard

Serious Sam 3 dev talks piracy

I'll be buying the game just because of what he said. Fuck you ubisoft.

Quote:
Serious Sam 3: BFE is apparently doing quite well on Steam, with publisher Devolver Digital boasting on Twitter that "people will pay for awesome." According to the Devolver CFO Fork Parker, SS3 "combats piracy by being a fun, frantic game and offers wild ass 16-player campaign co-op."

Sensing an opportunity, I contacted Mr. Parker to get some extended thoughts on the piracy issue.

"Piracy is a problem and there is no denying that but the success of games like Skyrim and our own Serious Sam 3 on PC illustrates that there is clearly a market willing to pay for PC games," he said. "It's on the developers and publishers to put something out on the market that's worth paying for in the first place. Those that place the blame on the consumer need to rethink the quality of their products and the frequency in which they shovel out derivative titles each year.

"The other side of the equation is the distribution model. In games, we have amazing PC digital download services like Steam, Get Games and Direct2Drive doing the same thing for games that iTunes did for music. Offer the consumer a variety of great digital content at a reasonable price and the majority will happily pay for the games that suit their tastes."

While Ubisoft developers cry about 95% piracy rates, games like Skyrim and Serious Sam 3 are raking in the dubloons from PC gamers. While being good doesn't guarantee that your game won't get stolen, being crap or treating all customers as criminals certainly doesn't help.
http://www.destructoid.com/devolver-...e-216488.phtml
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Maybe but then again I'm guessing Croteam's sales expections are much lower then that of UBI Soft's so there also less likely to notice how much it's being pirated. I guessing it also helps that SS3 is a budget game and only retails at like 15.99 instead of full price like a AAA game.

Hopefully they'll be some news about the XBlive version sooner or later.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

He is right I paid for BF3 because it's clearly a better game than the previous. MW3 assassins creed, crysis give me a fuckin break.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
Maybe but then again I'm guessing Croteam's sales expections are much lower then that of UBI Soft's so there also less likely to notice how much it's being pirated. I guessing it also helps that SS3 is a budget game and only retails at like 15.99 instead of full price like a AAA game.

Hopefully they'll be some news about the XBlive version sooner or later.
You might be thinking of a different SS game. The new one is close to full price. They also dont expect to sell 15million copies of a game on the game like ubisoft does. They also dont have 300 managers earning 400k a year each for being loud and useless.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

The head of GoG said something similar as well.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I'll be buying the game just because of what he said. Fuck you ubisoft.

http://www.destructoid.com/devolver-...e-216488.phtml
you forgot the blod/under line/ bigger font
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
You might be thinking of a different SS game. The new one is close to full price. They also dont expect to sell 15million copies of a game on the game like ubisoft does. They also dont have 300 managers earning 400k a year each for being loud and useless.
Amazon UK is selling it for 19.99. Anyway I stand by what I said earlier because there sells targets are lower and most likely the game is cheapier to make it's easier for them to hit there targets. While UBI Soft games need to sell more to make a PC port worthwhile.

In the end this is like everything else a PR stunt to get abit of extra advertisement and a quick dig at rivals.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
calintz
thank you based god

smaller company PRs just have to say what the internet wants to hear, and go against what big companies are complaining about

not that i disagree, but sometimes, small/indie companies dont need to spend a ton on marketting when something like this generates enough
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
Alucard

Not a PR stunt. Plenty of devs say this all the time. Big devs who dont need PR. Even others who just focus mainly on pc. SS devs dont need PR. They already have a following and their games sell quite well for them to be happy after all this time. He's just saying it now because of the recent ubisoft comments. What you're palming off as fact is a little silly though. You say ubisofts targets are higher and they need the money to support the pc 'port'. Their figures arent about profit. Its about over estimation. If you sell 3mill copies the year before, this year you want 4mill etc. Do you know how much a port even costs? How much money can it possibly cost to port something to a system and then hope it sells enough to make gains.

You're also saying the devs of serious sam are not expecting anything too high, again without knowing what their estimates are or how many have been sold through online sites. I'm not saying they'll sell 9 million copies. But the length of their game will most likely be the same length as an ubisoft game thats been priced at the maximum amount and had 7 times the advertising budget to make sure it sells to every adult and child whether its crap or not.

If they're happy to spend 100million in creating the game and advertising it and happy to sell 4mill copies, what would it be for a port of a game thats already been made cost? If it sold 1million on pc, factor in the cost of porting a game from an imaginary 100mill development/advertisment/fees cost, I'm pretty sure the game wouldnt cost 100mil to port. If anything return wise it would be pretty impressive. Look at the very recent Dungeon defenders sales. The PC numbers dwarfed both consoles combined. Its stupid to ignore any market that you already have a foot in.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
darren
... lol

Quote:
Do you know how much a port even costs? How much money can it possibly cost to port something to a system and then hope it sells enough to make gains. .
since 99% of 3rd party games are dev'd on the 360 .. id say it costs next to nothing to port it to pc, since its built on a 7 year old pc anyway .. i recon the ps3 port costs more
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
Alucard

Yeah pretty much. People keep forgetting they always add the sales of both ps3/xbox together. And every dev out there has said the ps3 is tricky to do shit on. Comparing it to a pc its like a rubics cube. One of the main reasons they rag on the pc so much is because these big high ups stooges want first week/month sales. Thats what shows if its a success or not and if they get their bonus. The pc always sells over time. Recall Crytek saying the pc version of crysis sold horribly and it should of sold 20mill since thats how many imaginary pirates downloaded it. 3million units on a game that needed powerful systems to run on, that was considered poor since it wasnt 20mill. Some publishers are just thick.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

yeah I doubt there are 20 million pcs that run crysis even to this day.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

They should think about releasing games at lower prices, like 40 bucks. Even that seems high but I wouldn't feel the need to buy and sell used if it was in that price range. Actually I don't buy used now, I just wait for great sales.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I'm in agreement with you, Alucard. There are some developers out there with sour grapes which expect to meet a certain projected sales figure, but when they don't meet those projected sales they become nasty and take it out on everybody else, as if they're somehow entitled to the consumers' money.

Here's a novel idea: make quality games which don't cost an arm and a leg to develop and be supportive of your fan-base. Business ethics are important in this day and age because word gets around and people will turn their backs on nasty, greedy companies.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

Quote:
It was $40 at release, $30 for the whole steam christmas sale, and $20 for 2 days on steam.

Bought at $20 but would buy it again if they put it on consoles because I'm pretty sure my laptop im running it on is under the minimum requirements and on low settings it barely runs (The FPS is at like 10-15 for the first 30-60 sec. but then it catches back up to around 25-30 lol) so it would be nice to be able to run it properly.