The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Alucard

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will require a permanent internet connection

Quote:
“Protection from piracy? Part of the content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses. Permanent internet access is required. Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection. Software piracy is an issue for us, we try to fight it, but within reason.
Yeah, you know what you can do with your game. Go focus on consoles if you're going to serve us up this sort of shit.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/s-t-a-...et-connection/
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Drunken Savior

I thought Ubi realized how dumb of an idea this is.....was no one playing attention?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Stupid idea why do they keep trying this one?

Having said that hopefully this'll get a XB360 release this time like the first was meant to. Stalker was a excellent game.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I look forward to the pirates breaking this DRM very quickly.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
darren
... lol

i couldnt careless ... when my pc is on its connected to the net .. its never not .. i fail to see why people giver a shit unless they priate stuff tbh
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
Drunken Savior

There are many common reasons someone might not have an internet connection at any moment.

I didn't have internet all summer except at hotspots. If I owned any of the games that required me to have an internet connection, I couldn't play. Many of our servicemen overseas can't play games requiring an internet connection. Those who game on laptop can't play portably unless their transportation has an internet connection. Those who also have laptops can't play their games in hotel rooms if they are travelling unless their hotel provides an internet service.

And the damning thing is......pirates cracked it immediately! It didn't deter piracy! It arguably decreased the sales of gamers who just didn't want to deal with that kind of DRM. So if DRM is supposed to secure your product to sell and make a profit and your DRM actually reduces sales....well....I don't need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express to tell you that's retarded.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
darren
... lol

not saying i agree with it .. just if your connected to the net wheres the problem

if you play on laptops while moving about the place then yeah. .. but you could always buy a 3g dongle worked fine for me the other week when i was in madrid airport and bored shitless at the airport, hay presto a net connection

as for UK servicemen over seas .. they do .. camp bastion has a sick network as do all our ships .. how do i know? while my cousin was in afgan for 18 months he was playing in the USA vs UK COD leagues they have going and the USA vs UK FIFA leauges. but while not on the base no theres no network .. but i guess he would have more important things on his mid tbh while not at base..

Do hotels in the US not all have networks??? really?? they do here, cant recall the last time i stay in a hotel anywhere in the world that didnt have web connection. christ even some of the shitholes i stayed in while in india had broadband and/or wireless
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
Drunken Savior

Are you really defending this type of DRM? Okkk.......

Well your cousin is very fortunate. I didn't mean to imply that no service men have internet connections and I assume you don't mean to imply the opposite.

Also, don't you think that buying a 3G dongle just to play games your paid for that don't require an internet connection kind of insulting? Even a little? Sure, you'll use it for other things....but if your primary motivation for getting a 3G dongle is to get around the DRM to play your games, don't you feel insulted?

And lastly, many of our motels do have internet. There's often a fee applied though. And you already know how I feel about paying for an internet connection just so you can play a game your purchased.

This DRM is a royal pain to those who provide revenue to publishers, and has most likely even detracted from the number of sales. I don't understand how anyone wins in this situation with this kind of DRM.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-09-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Are you really defending this type of DRM? Okkk.......
.. no i'm not defending it .. simply saying my pc is nw conencted all the pc time my is on .. so i couldnt careless about DRM

Quote:
Well your cousin is very fortunate. I didn't mean to imply that no service men have internet connections and I assume you don't mean to imply the opposite.
nope which is whyi said but while not on the base no theres no network .. but i guess he would have more important things on his mid tbh while not at base..

Quote:
Also, don't you think that buying a 3G dongle just to play games your paid for that don't require an internet connection kind of insulting? Even a little? Sure, you'll use it for other things....but if your primary motivation for getting a 3G dongle is to get around the DRM to play your games, don't you feel insulted?
i bought one so i could work easily while travelling with work, comes in handy when travelling a lot on business .. added bounus i can play games on line while travelling about the planet with work. even in shitty places like inida, bangladesh and the arse end of eastern europe
Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
Drunken Savior

Actually I wasn't saying that servicemen in the field were the only ones without internet. But whatever....

Funny....because when I stated many practical and normal reasons why one would not have an internet connection easily available, you kinda retorted by downplaying my reasons. Kinda sounds like you're defending it to me.

Look, it's cool that you are fine with it. But many people who don't complain about DRM, in general (such as myself), really find major problems with this kind of DRM. And if it's scaring off legitimate purchases of their game....who is winning in the end?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
Chronos
fuggit

my problem is that the required connection serves only as DRM and nothing else. i have no problem if the game has a large online component, but stalker is pure single player.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Alucard

3G isnt always good. My phone seems to just drop out depending where I am. Besides its not just needing an internet connection, its that you cant continue passed bits here and there unless you get to it and then let the server download files you need for those to enable. I'm seeing issues here. Lets say the file doesnt download properly, you're stuck. The file is corrupt, your game is fucked. Someone being a cunt and replacing good file with virus file. Server just NOT connecting for the download, cant continue game. Server taking forever to give you your file because it feels like downloading at 0.0001kb. Its bullshit.

I have no problem staying online, because I am. And if I need to I can get a nocd crack to play my game offline. But needing to be connected to download files while playing to advance? Fuck that shit off.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
darren
... lol

Quote:
Funny....because when I stated many practical and normal reasons why one would not have an internet connection easily available, you kinda retorted by downplaying my reasons. Kinda sounds like you're defending it to me.
read into it what you want tbh but not defending DRM in the slightest .. but to use theres no internet connection as a reason for it not being there is not one of them for me. As i like i have said even in the arse end parts of the world i've found web connections (but yes you might hav to pay for it tho).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
my problem is that the required connection serves only as DRM and nothing else. i have no problem if the game has a large online component, but stalker is pure single player.
whats the bet it has a multiplayer this time around as well as console port
Old 10-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #14
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(•̀ω•́ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
Quote:
There are many common reasons someone might not have an internet connection at any moment.
Very true. Is it that hard for publisher to acknowledge this ?

Instead pushing security approach like "always-online-DRM" , they should start searching another way to protect their intellectual properties without fucked up their consumers with this move (always-online-DRM)...
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy IX [PS1] - /random shit [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Northeastmonk

They reached the point where Ubisoft is with PC games, Uplay = Stalker 2 = complete garbage. Shrinking the amount of actual people allowed to play your game, I hope they have a lot in savings or plan on a console release.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote