The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Quasar
in human form

My first custom build! (Images included)

So, I finally had a custom PC built. I actually haven't done this before and I want to know what you guys think of the components that were chosen. I trusted someone else in most of the choices because I am way too far behind in knowledge right now. Oh, and I did this at Fry's Electronics. It's like the Costco of electronics stores. lol

Here's what I got:

NZXT Phantom White Case

Asus P8 P67 Pro Rev 3.0

Intel i5 2500K 3.30ghz 6MB Cache

16GB DDR3 Dual HyperX 1600mhz

GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1gig

Barracuda XT 2TB 7200rpm

Asus 24x dvdrw

Corsair AX 750w

Windows 7 Pro

3yr Warranty on CPU, Board & Ram

I don't think I missed anything on the list. They built it and with that and everything else, I spent a little over $1400.

This was built primarily for using high end design programs as well as image and video processing through Adobe programs. I compose music on it as well.

How did I do?

Nintendo Network ID: Quasar
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
darren
... lol

if you compose music .. i'd get a dedicated sound card tbh.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
This was built primarily for using high end design programs as well as image and video processing through Adobe programs. I compose music on it as well.
it's not a mac

its surprising how cheap building a beast of a pc is these days
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
darren
... lol

again true... if your into music production then a mac would have been the best option.. can't recall the last time i saw someone working as music prodcuer that doesnt have a macbook running logic/reason etc.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Quasar
in human form

I do use Reason but I leave Logic to my sound engineer for anything analog (he's on a mac). Honestly, isn't the mac vs PC argument for image and sound stuff over by now?

Plus, I have many mac's at my school to use. I just like PC more. A mac was either way more expensive to match components or way to under-powered in comparison if the price was the same.

Darren, I really do need to get a dedicated sound card. Curious how much of a difference it would make since the music, on my end, is done all digital?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
Alucard

The onboard sound is good. I ditched my Creative X-Fi in favour of it. Also if you can I'd recommend changing your videocard to a 560ti instead. The 550 is good, but its a little weak. Pretty case. I'd recommend getting the coolermaster 212+ heatsink as the one that comes with that cpu isnt too special. You'll drop like 10-15degrees with it. Bitch to put in though unless someone points out those bullshit little clips slide back and forth. Also dont think you're going to need 16gb. 4gb is plenty for gaming. You can go overboard with 8gb if you like but going to 16 is practically useless.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Chronos
fuggit

I would say go for the 560ti as well. Best price/performance ratio right now. 550 is significantly weaker a little less money.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
Quasar
in human form

Thanks for the tips Alucard and Chronos. I'll look into that video card and see if I can do a switch out.

Alucard, beyond gaming, for image, sound and video processing, what is your opinion on the 16gb of ram? Still useless?

Thanks again for the tips. I'll hopefully try and become more knowledgable with my components for the next time.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

In regards to video processing, 4GB would suffice, but 16GB would definitely help, especially for very large movies with a lot of effects and other elements. If you use programs like After Effects make sure you configure the preferences for it to allow more RAM or it'll just be a waste; since you're running a quad-core CPU, setting it to run with ~12GB would be best.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
darren
... lol

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Alucard and Chronos. I'll look into that video card and see if I can do a switch out.

Alucard, beyond gaming, for image, sound and video processing, what is your opinion on the 16gb of ram? Still useless?

Thanks again for the tips. I'll hopefully try and become more knowledgable with my components for the next time.

all depends on ow much 64bit software your gonna be using

Quote:
Darren, I really do need to get a dedicated sound card. Curious how much of a difference it would make since the music, on my end, is done all digital?
again it all depends what your going to be doing .. personally if was going to be using it mainly for music production a good sound card would be top of my list tbh.

Quote:
I do use Reason but I leave Logic to my sound engineer for anything analog (he's on a mac). Honestly, isn't the mac vs PC argument for image and sound stuff over by now?
theres no agrument for me everyone i know thats create music professionally use macs in their studios ... they do it for a reason and thats they are better for it, if it all aout dedicated music production on the unit. I know a lot of UK dance music producer before you ask .
Old 09-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #11
Alucard

Macs are obviously better for that sort of thing but thats not to say you can use pcs to do it either. You just need stronger specs and you're fine. I cant comment on the video/sound question relating 16gb of ram since I'm not sure what you're doing. For games though 4gb is plenty.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 AM   #12
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
and by Macs, they don't mean crappy iMacs! They mean getting a Mac Pro!

http://www.apple.com/ca/macpro/ Buy the 12 core model for 5000 dollars and you're all set.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #13
Quasar
in human form

Yea unfortunately, I did not have 5k to use. lol My budget was 1200 and I even busted that.

Btw, my teacher in one of my design classes explained how ram corresponds to programs like Photoshop. To keep it short, whatever the size of your PSD is, open in Photoshop, uses 5x that in ram. I'm assuming, while it's open only.

I reach file sizes of 1gig to almost 2gig, so that would mean 5 to 10gig ram usage. Wow. lol Maybe it wasn't so bad to get 16. ;)