The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #46
darren
... lol

its DQ ... to even think only 1 mill sales in japan is just plain silly talk
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #47
Northeastmonk

Story development would be somewhat hard, expanding one giant DQ game into an MMO style world. I have slightly more faith in this being successful, then the non SE DBZ mmo. lol
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #48
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Four players doesn't make it an MMO, by the way. The first M in MMO is for massively, whereas a four-player game is just regular old multiplayer.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #49
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Four players doesn't make it an MMO, by the way. The first M in MMO is for massively, whereas a four-player game is just regular old multiplayer.
Most MMO I have played only allow 6 to a standard party...anything else is for large scale game events.

I dont think that 'M' that stands for 'Massive' has much to do with party size. I would think it refers to the game world being massive. The fact that you can encounter millions of real players online within the game world and interact with them... trade, craft, quest, sell, have a home, get married, fish, and being a game that never ends..even if you beat the so called last boss.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #50
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
The term you are looking for is a ORPG (online RPG). MMORPG's are the games that have persistant worlds that every player in the server can see and interact with everyone else in the same place.

Obviously by massive it has to have a "massive" number of players and not only 4.

With that said... its funny how Nintendo just got the Wii U savior fall on their lap like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeus View Post
For many factors:

3. Online RPGs don't sell on consoles, there were many examples in the past and Wii is not a good online console
That is an unfair acessment. When PSO for the DC first came out it sold well.

The problem is the online RPG market has grown on the PC (and spawned the MMO's), and japanese online RPG's just tend to be grind fests no one cares about. Thus the sales went down.

If a game like Star Wars: The old republic or Guild Wars 2 or TERA came out for 360/PS3 i would definitly get them. The content on Online RPG's just needs to be more compelling.

So, imo its the games and not the genre.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #51
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoftware6180 View Post
Most MMO I have played only allow 6 to a standard party...anything else is for large scale game events.

I dont think that 'M' that stands for 'Massive' has much to do with party size. I would think it refers to the game world being massive. The fact that you can encounter millions of real players online within the game world and interact with them... trade, craft, quest, sell, have a home, get married, fish, and being a game that never ends..even if you beat the so called last boss.
You're wrong about the definition of the genre. Nem explained it properly. Unless DQX has an open world where large groups of players can interact with each other, it doesn't qualify as an MMO. We don't know if it will work that way or not, though it's unlikely as that would be a lot more work for the developers,
Old 09-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #52
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Quote:
You're wrong about the definition of the genre. Nem explained it properly. Unless DQX has an open world where large groups of players can interact with each other, it doesn't qualify as an MMO. We don't know if it will work that way or not, though it's unlikely as that would be a lot more work for the developers,
We said the same thing..lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoftware6180
I would think it refers to the game world being massive. The fact that you can encounter millions of real players online within the game world and interact with them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nem
MMORPG's are the games that have persistant worlds that every player in the server can see and interact with everyone else in the same place
It being a persistant world includes these things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoftware6180
trade, craft, quest, sell, have a home, get married, fish, and being a game that never ends
I will add this as well.
Quote:
Contents of the game will be constantly updated in typical MMORPG fashion, with the addition of new classes, quests and even seasonal events (new year and Halloween have been specifically named as examples). An USB memory stick will be needed, probably to store updates and patches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx
Unless DQX has an open world where large groups of players can interact with each other, it doesn't qualify as an MMO.
Now read this.
The battle system is a traditional turn based system with a 3 character team. The battle will take place directly on the field without transition to the battle scene. If you play online, other players appear translucent and aid your party.
http://the-magicbox.com/1109/dqx2.jpg

other players not in your party seems like an mmo and look at the pic. I would have to assume that most of the characters are not npc. Watch the video and you will see around 10 players questing in the large open field
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #53
calintz
thank you based god

in anycase, we all knew it was going to be like this

after DQ9 and it's create-a-hero or 4, and having multiplayer included - the series was less likely to remain a single player experience
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #54
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
It being a persistant world includes these things:

Now read this.
The battle system is a traditional turn based system with a 3 character team. The battle will take place directly on the field without transition to the battle scene. If you play online, other players appear translucent and aid your party.
http://the-magicbox.com/1109/dqx2.jpg

other players not in your party seems like an mmo and look at the pic. I would have to assume that most of the characters are not npc. Watch the video and you will see around 10 players questing in the large open field

Just want to say that the things you mention like quests,trade skills etc. are characteristic of MMO's but arent what defines and MMO. Its wether the place your play the game on is instanced or not and wether you can see and interfere with the gameplay of other players.

Now i went and watched the material on the game to try and help out define what this game is, and its indeed tricky but we can say that in essence its an MMO, like FFXI Online as the other players are visible not only on towns but on playing fields. But, unfortunely its not that simple. When you "tag" a mob, you enter an instance on top of the persistant world... but everyone can see your battle, but they cannot participate/interfere. They still see it and can cheer you on and the mob itself also is engaged on "their" point of view, but they cant attack it. Also, from what i understood parties can only be formed in town, so it all is a "i can see you play" but i cant directly interfere, just indirectly (engaging a nearby mob for example).

Taking that into account i suppose its an MMO, but a cheaty one at that. Peronally is see it more like a cross between the two (online RPG and MMO). Its actually an interesting evolution for the Japanese Online RPG's.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #55
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Ah, guess it does sound like an MMO after all. Good job teh Software.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #56
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

I C..but to be clear in FF11 once you engage a mob, no one can attack it unless use the call for help command or die. Other players can see you and cheer you on or throw cures at u but not the mob. This sounds exactly like what this game offers, the difference being that other players get translucent. That seems like a cosmetic thing which i think is great. So by ur definition it is exactly an MMO.

If i did not read wrong nem, that is exactly what you defined a persistant world as.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #57
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Count me disappointed. Sure, it looks nice and all but the online requirement was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. As of right now, the only thing interesting about DQX is Koichi Sugiyama's soundtrack.

BTW, whatever this game is, it sure looks impressive to me.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #58
calintz
thank you based god

^ that's ninokuni on PS3

no way can the Wii look like that

although, the Wii U version of DQX might...
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #59
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Ah, that explains it. That game looks fan-uber-tastic.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #60
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
I C..but to be clear in FF11 once you engage a mob, no one can attack it unless use the call for help command or die. Other players can see you and cheer you on or throw cures at u but not the mob. This sounds exactly like what this game offers, the difference being that other players get translucent. That seems like a cosmetic thing which i think is great. So by ur definition it is exactly an MMO.

If i did not read wrong nem, that is exactly what you defined a persistant world as.
Indeed. Just like i said on my post.

I didnt recall FFXI was like that aswell though, so i guess it isnt that much of an evolution but a use of the same formula.
I think the game is interesting, but the monthly fee might be asking for too much as at that point it starts competing with WoW in the west. If it doesnt have one on the west i might actually feel compelled to buy a Wii or Wii U.