The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
calintz
thank you based god

Hard Reset

Quote:
We like being the first to tell you about a game. It’s rare, though, that we announce something that’s a mere two months away. Flying Wild Hog, a new studio, is releasing its debut game this September. It’s called Hard Reset, and it’s a PC-exclusive “dark sci-fi” FPS. Roughly, it’s Blade Runner, The Matrix, and Painkiller rolled into a single-player-only flour tortilla.

Like some kind of Polish, game-developing Voltron, Flying Wild Hog was formed from members of People Can Fly (Painkiller), CD Projekt RED (The Witcher 2), and City Interactive (Sniper: Ghost Warrior). Read on for more details, the first trailer, and first screenshots.

Pre-emptively asked questions:

What’s the engine?
Proprietary, impressively enough. It’s called “Road Hog.” And because a built-from-scratch engine is a serious investment, we’ll probably see more games on it from the developer.

What’s the plot?
Hostile robot takeover. Only one human city remains–the bastion of Bezoar. It’s here that Major Fletcher, your character (the guy with the laser eye patch), takes to arms against the robot hordes.

When, and how much?
September 2011. Pricing isn’t announced, though we’d suspect it’ll fall somewhere between AAA releases like Battlefield 3 and lighter-weight “downloadable” FPSes.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/13/ex...ps-hard-reset/

calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Alucard

Thats pretty fucking nice looking. I hope its good since I love Bladerunner style settings. So strnge its out in a couple months and yet theres been no big fanfair. If this were console they'd be pissing it out on us 2 years prior release.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Screenshots remind me of Bioshock too. I'll definitely keep an eye on this.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
bujeezus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Thats pretty fucking nice looking. I hope its good since I love Bladerunner style settings. So strnge its out in a couple months and yet theres been no big fanfair. If this were console they'd be pissing it out on us 2 years prior release.
maybe they got no mulah for marketing? looks damn interesting tho.
bujeezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
calintz
thank you based god

gameplay trailer

Quote:
GameSpot: We understand that Hard Reset is a PC exclusive. Why make this choice? What do you think the game gains by being a PC exclusive?

Michal Szustak: For a new studio it's always easier to make a single-platform game, and we really wanted to create and use our own tech. Our engine was built with one thought--to be used in a first-person shooter that uses lots of physics and destruction, with outstanding graphics and also optimized to do the job well. There are many games published on PCs that are just ports from consoles, and we all know that today the power of a current-gen console is similar to a four- to five-year-old PC.

If you want to show some amazing graphics, it's better and easier to develop the game for PCs. Also, in the era of movie-like shooters almost "on rails," with player-environment interaction as limited as possible, we wanted to create a game for old-school PC players, raised on all those forgotten Dooms, Quakes, and Painkillers.

GS: What type of game is Hard Reset? Is it more of an open-world shooter like the Far Cry series, or something more linear, such as the Modern Warfare games?

MS: Hard Reset is definitely not an open-world shooter like Far Cry, but it's also not a shooter on rails, the kind that Modern Warfare is. It's rather similar to old-school shooters like Doom, where you had to search the level to get a key card, and where you will find secrets--sometimes really challenging ones.

GS: On the topic of gameplay, what more can you reveal about the interface featured in a few of the screenshots you've released? What do the different bars and icons refer to?

MS: As you know, we don't have regenerating health, so one of the bars is used to display health. We also have a shield meter, stamina for sprint, energy/ammunition for weapons, and, of course, the N.A.N.O. bar. N.A.N.O. is the currency that you will gather to buy new weapons and upgrades.

GS: Given that Hard Reset will be a PC exclusive, how hard will it push modern computers? Will PC gamers need a space-age computer in order to run it, or will the performance be fairly scalable?

MS: We will announce official hardware requirements soon, but I'm sure you will be surprised. We've got some really good engine programmers, and I can promise you that even a five-year-old PC will be sufficient to play Hard Reset. But if you own a pimped-up gaming rig, the experience will be much more intense.

GS: What were some of your sources of inspiration for Hard Reset, either for the story or gameplay?

MS: A lone hero lost in a dark, futuristic city--I could list many cyberpunk books or movies utilizing this motive. William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, Philip K. Dick--we love them all. Regarding the gameplay, we wanted to create a game where you eliminate hordes of enemies, using not only interesting weapons, but the environment as well. There are many destructible objects in the game, such as cars or explosive barrels that you can blow up, dealing damage to your enemies, and we also have a spectacular electricity system; for example, destroying a cash machine will electrocute all nearby enemies. So the main inspiration were games with such a gameplay style--again, Doom, Painkiller, or Serious Sam--but I must say that Hard Reset came out pretty unique since there are loads of destructibles that you can use to your advantage.

GS: Are there any other points you'd like to highlight about Hard Reset?

MS: If you're tired of all the boring shooters on rails where all the encounters are heavily scripted and you can't even move too much, Hard Reset is for you. Hard Reset gives you the opportunity to eliminate hordes of enemies each time in a different way, so maybe you'll want to play again and again just to see how you can use our gravity mines in different ways or why an electric grenade and stasis field are such a great combo. And you want to beat the game at least twice, since finishing Hard Reset once is not enough to check out all the cool weapons and upgrades.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Alucard

Oh god...non regenerating health? Someone pinch me!!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Gameplay:

Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
Alucard

I hope my pc can run that at max.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #9
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Since it's not some crappy console port it'll probably be optimised for PC and actually run well.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
darren
... lol

want
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
calintz
thank you based god

the demos available on steam

apparently it plays like painkiller in a cyberpunk setting
Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
Alucard

So whos played it and how enjoyable is it?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I've played it, and fuck it's good. Very arcadey type of shooter; shooting mechanics are simple, it's a little bit slower than Serious Sam and Quake stuff but just as simple. No reloading, for example. There's a fuck tonne of customisation options too for both of the guns, which you switch between with Q and E. Like I bought a shotgun attachment, so, you select the rifle with Q, and then 1 - 2 morphs it between rifle and shotgun.

Very sexy. Made quick, unedited video of me playing it for friends since a lot of people been asking about it.

Those aren't max graphics either; I thought they were, but, there's Ultra settings, I just saw all the high settings and left them. If you want to use my rig as a sort of benchmark, I'm running a GTX 460, and this game has AF on x16, AA on x2, played at 1920x1080, recording with FRAPS at 60 frames, half size, and played the game at 40 frames ish, dipping a bit lower during hectic moments but never below 30.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
So whos played it and how enjoyable is it?
yes and very
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:19 AM   #15
George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
I've played it, and fuck it's good. Very arcadey type of shooter; shooting mechanics are simple, it's a little bit slower than Serious Sam and Quake stuff but just as simple. No reloading, for example. There's a fuck tonne of customisation options too for both of the guns, which you switch between with Q and E. Like I bought a shotgun attachment, so, you select the rifle with Q, and then 1 - 2 morphs it between rifle and shotgun.

Very sexy. Made quick, unedited video of me playing it for friends since a lot of people been asking about it.

[yootube]jUqkY9ayrUI[/yootube]

Those aren't max graphics either; I thought they were, but, there's Ultra settings, I just saw all the high settings and left them. If you want to use my rig as a sort of benchmark, I'm running a GTX 460, and this game has AF on x16, AA on x2, played at 1920x1080, recording with FRAPS at 60 frames, half size, and played the game at 40 frames ish, dipping a bit lower during hectic moments but never below 30.
You had me at arcadey!! Too bad I'm broke.

I guess I'll wait for that inevitable holiday Steam sale.