The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Steam trade-ins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku
Right now, if you buy a game from Steam, finish it and don't want it, well, you can...delete it. You can't go trade it in. But there are whispers that the digital purchase giant is considering implementing such a scheme.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter, taking a break from wildly speculating about the future of the industry, has actually gone on record to say he's heard Valve will soon be allowing those who download a game to trade it in.

"Steam is phenomenal, it's a great service," he told NowGamer. "Steam gives gamers enough other stuff so that they don't resent the fact they can't trade in their games. And you know, name all the Steam games that you've purchased that you've traded back in to somebody else for credit. Steam's about to let you do that supposedly, you know like trade and exchange, but they're going to take a fee from it."

Interesting. At the moment, if you delete a game you've purchased, you may not get anything back in return for offloading it, but you can download it again in the future. Giving consumers the option of forsaking that convenience in exchange for credit towards future purchases would, we'd imagine, go down a treat with most of Steam's regular users.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

How would Steam benefit from this? Sure it might bring in more customers, but it seems like it would ultimately just hurt their bottom line.

Also, Pachter...LOL

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Alucard

L4D2 would be an instant trade in for me.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
How would Steam benefit from this? Sure it might bring in more customers, but it seems like it would ultimately just hurt their bottom line.

Also, Pachter...LOL
cause if this is real, they are still keeping some of the cash. You're only getting back a certain amount of credit of what you paid for it. It might not even be 80 percent you get for credit. But probably like 40 percent credit back to use toward another game.

They'll probably going to do the same thing gamestop does and screw over on trade ins.

But hey, it's better than keeping terrible games. I have some games on steam I wouldn't mind trading for credits toward other games.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #5
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I think it's pretty much assumed that they wouldn't offer you a full refund. No one is suggesting that. I bet any 'trade in' value would be an utter joke for the consumer. Like 10-20% of what you paid for it in the first place. Anything more and the bottom line is at risk.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

They might not be like that actually. Since the money could go into your Steam Wallet; and that means you can only use that returned money on other Steam products. Which means Valve are losing absolutely nothing unless the person never spends that money. Means they can afford to be less stingy, but we'll see. Might not even happen.

Last edited by KingOfSentinels; 10-14-2010 at 04:59 AM.
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Since I have like 100 games on Steam, I probably wouldn't mind getting rid of a few clunkers, regardless of what they'd offer for 'em.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Its hard to say if they'll even give you cash ya know? It may end up just being store credit. That way you have to use it back on Steam.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Wouldn't that still go against that who thing of reselling software that they're trying to ban? I know they said they were going to have it so you can't sell software if it's copyrighted, that you're just "leasing" it. So i don't know if trade ins would be in there since ultimately steam would be technically reselling that copy to another person later.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
They might not be like that actually. Since the money could go into your Steam Wallet; and that means you can only use that returned money on other Steam products. Which means Valve are losing absolutely nothing unless the person never spends that money. Means they can afford to be less stingy, but we'll see. Might not even happen.
exactly.

They wouldn't be losing anything, since they can afford to have really low sales and they know people who trade in for a bit of cash will more likely use on a game that's full price and they wouldn't have enough for it in their wallet, so they can still make 20-30 bucks off of the person when they get their new game and they didn't lose anything on that trade in since they will still have the money for it. They're just giving you a discount on games at a price of giving up a game you don't want anymore.

But yah, I don't see this happening tho, but we shall see, it would be awesome if it did. I would probably buy more games when they come out than wait for sales.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
like ppl said, it's prob just store credit for a fraction of purchase price. guaranteeing another steam purchase.

they'll also take even more of the digital market share. who'd buy something from direct2drive, etc., when you have the opportunity to "resell" it on steam.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Of course it's store credit. I doubt publishers aren't going to buy the argument that people will be buying more games because if Steam is buying keys from developers in bulk, this means they will be buying less keys overall because Steam just wants to re-buy these keys back.

Point is, don't get your hopes up if you are, Steam is going to have to really work hard at convincing publishers that this is a good idea. And based on their opinions on trade in game as is, it's going to be a hard sell.

Also, how awesome would it be if someone stole your password and sold your entire library for $30. Totally awesome.

[Edit] Also, not true. Seriously, quit entertaining this guy's theories.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
spider-prime

well we did figure it wasn't real, but we are just talking about how it could work. It's an interesting idea if done right.

I don't think they buy back CD-keys but actually just take it off your game list so you can't play it anymore, mostly for the fact that most are register to other sites/services even if it is on steam, getting a Key for a download costs that nothing to produce, so it wouldn't be too hard for them to get another.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #14
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Prohibiting you from playing or re-downloading is pretty much the same as revoking your license (or CD Key, whatever we wanna call it). No doubt Steam can't just be selling 3rd party software at will and then reporting back how much they sold. That just leaves too much power with Steam and none of the publisher. Most likely Steam is buying X number of licenses/CD-Keys and then selling them, much like a retailer buys X number of games and sells them. That way publishers can go out and say exactly how many copies they've sold without waiting on Steam to get back to them.

They might take your CD Key, destroy it, and create a new one to prevent you from continuing play, but even so, they still have only issued out 1 license at a time.

In the case you bought a game on Steam that runs on, say, Windows Live....that's just ANOTHER hurdle for this idea to jump. Steam just issues you a CD-Key which you register at Windows Live. At best, this would only work with Valve only games at first (if ever).

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #15
spider-prime

yah that is how Steam runs, just like a retailer.

But that's the only problem with this idea is cdkeys that register to other services. Like most of EA ones do or 2K games.

It would need a completely new type of service to do this that is only made for this, so like you said, Valve games would work cause they're only made to run on steam anyways. Valve has more control over them than the other games on steam.