The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #1456
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
The PS2 version of Castlevania is in stereo but can be run in Pro Logic II if you tell your receiver to do that. With the Xbox version you actually have to run the game in analog to get Pro Logic II.
yeah, that was what i was talking about.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 AM   #1457
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Ever play any of the Deception games for the PS1 Icarus? They just released another sequel for the PS2 called Trapt and I was wondering if you had tried it out. They are not getting the greatest reviews, but I have a hard time trusting those since this is not another Halo or GTA clone.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #1458
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I been itching to play Curse of Darkness but the little improvements from Lament of Innocence didn?t help much. I guess after playing Dawn of Sorrow I wanted more Castlevania. Maybe I should start looking at the classics instead.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #1459
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
damn, a 4/10? that's pretty harsh. i do agree that CoD pales in comparison to the 2D games, but i think it is a good action game. if you hold it up to the same standards as, say, SotN or DoS, you are begging for disappointment. you should judge it as a 3D game. while it may not be as good as GoW or DMC, it does have solid action, and the music so far is really good. other than that, i think it is a decent entry in the series, but could be better. a score of 4/10 should be reserved for games that are truly sad.

i guess you really hated the game.

oh, CoD is a better game that LoI, don't you think? it's longer, it has better attacks and effects, deeper gameplay, better music, etc. i wonder why you gave them both a 4.
You think CoD is a good action game, but I don't. I think it is a narrow, cut-&-paste dry 3D actioner which gets ultra repetitious and doesn't reward skill in any fashion. A game is supposed to be fun regardless whether it's 2D or 3D. Solid action, eh? If running around while mindlessly jamming on the attack buttons is the mark of a good action game, I'm at a loss for words. And no, it's not better than LoI in my opinion. At least LoI did have some semblance of platforming, and I consider both soundtracks about even, i.e. nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
The PS2 version of Castlevania is in stereo but can be run in Pro Logic II if you tell your receiver to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin
Ever play any of the Deception games for the PS1 Icarus? They just released another sequel for the PS2 called Trapt and I was wondering if you had tried it out. They are not getting the greatest reviews, but I have a hard time trusting those since this is not another Halo or GTA clone.
No, I haven't. Those were those games by Tecmo where you set off booby traps, correct?

Oh, by the way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
why compare it to previous 2D castlevania titles? you guys are judging it too harshly just because it has the castlevania name. holding it to the same standards as symphony or dawn of sorrow is retarded. judge it seperately from 2D because it is a 3D game.
Seeing as Konami has all the background expertise and foreknowledge of their previous work, yes, I expect much better things from them. Why should we judge 3D games differently than 2D? Are 3D games "special," as if the developers are being handicapped, their resources circumscribed, because they have to work in three-dimensions? CoD is not a fun game, and my opinion isn't going to miraculously change. That said, I must admit I admire you, gearhound, because you don't have a high set of standards and can easily forgive shortcomings in a product. Thus, you can enjoy many more games than I ever could.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #1460
Paper exe
Pwnd

I own the game, but never tried it, so I really cannot agree or disagree on your score, so I have no problem there, but I said I agree with gearhound, so I most clarify some stuff.

Judge it as a 3D game doesn?t mean 3D> OR< 2D. For me, I think each game should be judged on it own genre and should not be compared with the original/spin off of the same franchise. 3D action games no matter on anyways you look at it are a lot different then 2D action games.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:59 AM   #1461
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
I don't get it. Explain.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #1462
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I just thought it was kinda funny because it made no sense.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #1463
Seska
Slurp

Just as I thought, a cut and paste-o-rama. I hated LoI, and this is supposedly even more repetitive?

*shudders*

Not even worth a download. Too many GOOD games to play instead. :p
Old 11-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #1464
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

They Ate The Beagle!?!?!?

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #1465
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
You think CoD is a good action game, but I don't. I think it is a narrow, cut-&-paste dry 3D actioner which gets ultra repetitious and doesn't reward skill in any fashion. A game is supposed to be fun regardless whether it's 2D or 3D. Solid action, eh? If running around while mindlessly jamming on the attack buttons is the mark of a good action game, I'm at a loss for words. And no, it's not better than LoI in my opinion. At least LoI did have some semblance of platforming, and I consider both soundtracks about even, i.e. nothing special.

Seeing as Konami has all the background expertise and foreknowledge of their previous work, yes, I expect much better things from them. Why should we judge 3D games differently than 2D? Are 3D games "special," as if the developers are being handicapped, their resources circumscribed, because they have to work in three-dimensions? CoD is not a fun game, and my opinion isn't going to miraculously change. That said, I must admit I admire you, gearhound, because you don't have a high set of standards and can easily forgive shortcomings in a product. Thus, you can enjoy many more games than I ever could.
i am dissapointed because i know konami could have done much better. i have not finished the game yet, but i have found myself entering the realm of dissatisfaction the more i play it. but i do like CoD because it is a slightly-above-average action game. i keep hoping the levels will get better. i am getting ready to enter the machine tower. if nothing changes for the better in this game expect a review of 6.0 to 7.0 CoD is definately above average, and i think it deserves more than a 4. enemies are repetitive and the enemies in each level appear way too often. konami could have made CoD for the hardcore gamer, but i guess they decided to appease the mainstream. i also don't like the fact that hector has no skills to master. many times you will create a new weapon and the combos will be the same... that is lazy design. also, the camera is lousy at times because it is too close to hector. if it would zoom out more gameplay would be better. furthermore, the action is pretty solid and definately not mediocre. in addition, bosses lack the wow factor of ninja gaiden or devil may cry.

if ninja gaiden gets a 9.5/10 then CoD sould get 2-3 points lower. konami could have turned CoD into an incredible, first-rate experience, but as of right now, i am a little dissapointed. the jumping in LoI was horrible and the platforming was a joke. CoD has deeper gameplay, though, and more weapons and options for the gamer. if LoI gets a 4/10 then CoDshould get a 5.5

i do expect 3D castlevania to be top notch with loads of detail and highly impressive gameplay. but, yes, i agree with you about the enemies, level designs, and lack of skills. also, as of right now, the innocent devils are far from impressive.

the thing about me is that i can enjoy an average game like CoD despite its flaws. i am not as tough a critic as you because i am fair

Last edited by gearhound; 11-15-2005 at 10:14 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:38 PM   #1466
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Being a smart ass again, aren't you?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:44 PM   #1467
gearhound
Versus the World

i was born a smart ass, but i understand your concern. if i were to hold CoD to the same standards as SotN or DoS i would blast the game to bits, but if i did that i would be demonstrating a nostalgic bias. i think if you don't set such high standards you will enjoy more games! if you judge CoD as a stand alone PS2 game, you could easily come to the conclusion that it really isn't that bad. granted, we all know that konami could have done better and demonstrated some laziness or what have you, but as a 3D action game it certainly isn't as good as devil may cry, god of war or ninja gaiden... but it is pretty much an average game. hell, just wait for my all-encompassing, ass-kicking review!!

man, i am so full of it
Old 11-16-2005, 05:33 AM   #1468
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

People like to compare Devil May Cry to Castlevania but I hope the don't make future 3D Castlevanias into a combo action game like Devil May Cry.

Last edited by Sinful Sam; 11-16-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #1469
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I don't think Castlevania in 3D should try to replicate DMC's gameplay. In fact, if you analyze it well enough it's easy to get the impression that DMC is trying to be something like a 3D Castlevania in its own right.

I got Trauma Center: Under The Knife for my DS yesterday and it's very cool. I guess I'll have to review that alongside Castlevania ~ Dawn of Sorrow. Also, I'm waiting to borrow Shadow from my cousin (why pay for something I'm not certain I want when I can try it beforehand[?]). Furthermore, I'll have more sweet treats on the way.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #1470
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Did you every play ICO, Icarus? Shadow has some scenes that are connected with ICO.