The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #1081
blueskied
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Check out the official Japanese site for the Ages 2500 remake of PSII here ~ http://ages.sega.jp/ps2/home.html
It looks astonishing! Those idiots will try and give it a half-ass score just because it's not Halo, GTA or MGS. See what those jackasses have done to gaming??
By "those idiots", you're referring to Famitsu? And how do you know they will give it a half-ass score? Are you clairvoyant or just presumptuously arrogant (well, I would have to guess the latter, as anyone who puts "virtuosity of excellence" below their screenname is obviously arrogant)? Even if they do give it a poor score, so what? Why do you care so much what they think? What exactly has the opinion of critics (or, as you term them, "jackasses") "done to gaming"? Gaming is always evolving, and just because you're trapped in some idealistic, 2-dimensional 16-bit daydream doesn't mean the rest of the gaming world should be condemned for finding games like MG3 and Halo enjoyable and worthy of praise.

"It looks astonishing". That's your whole argument? Have you played it? Do you know how long the loading times are, how good the control is, what quality the music is? Of course the answer to all of these questions is "no", but I find it so deliciously hypocritical how in this case you are praising a version of a game based soley on its "looks", while in the same metaphorical breath you condemn others that praise games based in part on looks (games such as Halo, MGS3, GTA). Nice job icarus, I expect no less from you, and certainly no more. :cool guy:

BTW, 26/40 for the PS1 remake is nearly an average of 7. You give many great games a score below 7, so you're not one to talk about "half-ass" scores.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #1082
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,870
Animal Crossing is alot better then Skies of Arcadia don't get me wrong Skies of Arcadia is a good game but not as good as Animal Crossing and about Sonic Adventure and Mario Sunshine
Mario Sunshine does have problems but the same go to Sonic Adventure
and Crazy Taxi or Pikmin both are good but Pikmin sequel is alot better then any Crazy Taxi game
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #1083
gearhound
Versus the World
 
gearhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: can't tell you
Posts: 3,061
you must seriously be on crack if you even compare skies of arcadia to aniimal crossing or say it is better than skies...
__________________
I do not have a signature.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 AM   #1084
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,516
Ahh, blueskied, purveyor of all knowledge, thank you for providing your insightful commentary in my thread. Now a question for you: Have you played any Phantasy Star title before? If so, then you should have a good idea what to expect from these remakes. Phantasy Star titles are high-quality RPGs (aside from III) and to rank them lower than such trash as FFX and X-2 is a travesty. Yes, the remake of II does look astonishing, but I wouldn't expect a hentai-loving person to "get it." BTW, I thought you had a girlfriend. Why do you devote so much of your life to those perverted titles?

So while you're trapped in the day by day recycled routines of typical mainstream journalism, soaking up the same exact opinions of the same ultra-hyped titles, I'll be too busy playing the good stuff to care. And I'll take it as a compliment that you just can't help yourself from reading my personal ratings thread on a normal basis. Good job, bro. :cool guy:

And finally, I have yet to play MGS3 but MGS1 and 2 (PS/PS2) aren't my personal idea of great gaming. But, hey, at least when I made my reviews I wasn't trying to appease a mainstream crowd nor any advertisers (read: the game developers). I don't need a defense or an excuse; there was never a contradiction within the original phrase. You (falsely) believe that by twisting around one of my comments about liking the looks of a certain individual title and applying it to how I personally feel about all the games I've reviewed that you can somehow transform it into a logical understanding of my stance on games in general, for the sake of feeding your half-assed attempt at ridiculing me, but in the end you've just wasted your time. Congratulations.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-18-2005 at 03:24 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:24 AM   #1085
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,516
Strangers in the night

Resident Evil 4 - GC - Rating 9
After having read various reviews (and played through the game three times: twice on Normal and once on Professional), I've decided it was time for me to serve it some justice. My decision came after having read the agony manifest in EGM's 'Why doesn't this play exactly like a FPS and let me strafe?' review. Instead of wasting my writing skills on another editorial, which is an exersion in frustration, I decided, after great contemplation, to one-up those who willingly cling to the grotesque notion that everything in the realm of gaming revolves around Halo and GTA. Not that I'm bitter.

No, 2004 was definitely not the biggest year for games ever.... not by a long shot! But if Resident Evil 4 is any indication (as well as Zelda ~ The Minish Cap :cool guy: ), 2005 might very well become one of the more exciting years we've had in a long, long while.

Although the buzz for RE4 began long ago, I was never quite thrilled about it. All Capcom would show us was short clips showing a foreboding dark shadow entity manifesting against creepy architecture and, apparently, chasing Leon. That was too vague for anyone to develop any significant preconceptions. As it turns out, Shinji Mikami had to go back to the drawing boards four times before deciding on what RE4 would become in its final incarnation. But after Capcom broke the GC exclusivity of the title by deciding to port it to PS2 for release later this year, Mikami-san felt betrayed and left Capcom to spearhead his own development studio. Although Capcom might do a solid PS2 conversion, I have no doubt that most of the graphic splendor will have to be sacrificed due to the PS2 being a weaker platform. You've never seen a 'Cube nor even an Xbox title up to this point which can compare visually with RE4.

If, like myself, you were amongst the rest of those who jumped when the zombie dogs came smashing through the windows in the original Resident Evil, or nearly fell out of your chair when Tyrant-103 came smashing through walls in RE2, you will be a dead man (pun intended) after witnessing some of what RE4 has in store.

RE4 gives new definition to the survival horror genre in practically every way. Let me remind you that just because the new consoles are on the horizon, that doesn't mean that software will catch up to the bar set by RE4. It's simply not gonna happen, at least not on a normal basis. That's because RE4 oozes more than enough substance to match its unparalleled style and the atmosphere is not something that can be easily replicated, especially given the staggering attention to detail which leaves most other games' FMV in the dust. And I mean it. Seriously.

From the very beginning you will be mesmerized by the physical thereness of the locales and its inhabitants. Capcom's graphic designers have crafted the most haunting, unnerving scenery ever seen in any game, ever. But you will have little time to soak it all in as wave upon wave of malicious foe and freak seek to bring Leon's life to premature closure. Rapidly moving to and fro, you guide Leon out of harm's way, hoping -- oftentimes with great desperation -- to find that one breath of solace in an isolated area where harm may be better avoided. If you run into a specific house while being chased, you'll prompt a cinema and learn firsthand the very definition of "survival horror," and this occurs just within the opening scenes of the game! Normally, similarly provocative thrills would be reserved only for one or two moments of a game, if at all. In RE4, it's commonplace. This moreso than perhaps anything else is what elevates RE4 to the top of the genre.

Everything in the game is rendered in real-time by the system (aside from the opening cinematic and staff roll) and the action takes place from a third-person perspective. When Leon aims his weapon the camera pans in on the action and Leon is placed on the left side of the screen. Among the new additions is the ability for Leon to perform multiple actions at the press of a button wherever prompted. Some of the actions include raising or knocking down ladders, jumping out of windows, performing a spin kick or suplex(!), jump from ledges, and so on. There are quite a few cinematics wherein you must perform quicktime actions a-la Shenmue. It all comes off seamlessly and doesn't feel rushed or frustrating. In fact, during several particularly memorable boss encounters, you'll need to be as quick on your toes as your sense because you may be prompted to, say, press L & R triggers simultaneously in order to avoid punishment. In fact, there's a boss fight where I recommend using Leon's knife throughout most of the encounter. Other welcome new additions include the ability to aim anywhere at anything (allowing you to pinpoint specific body parts of the enemies), save at typewriters as much as you please (no more ink ribbons; THANK YOU CAPCOM), store and organize items in your attache case which can be expanded via the game's shopkeeper, purchase weaponry, items and upgrades, plus sell stuff, and so much more.

Throughout the 20-25 hours that it takes to go through the game on your first playthrough, you'll have to protect the president's daughter Ashley from being kidnapped or, worse yet, killed. This aspect of the gameplay is extremely well accomplished because you can give her commands at the tap of a button such as wait, follow, hide, and so on. Protecting her can be challenging at times but never feels like a cheap tack-on. You'll need to use her to help solve puzzles (most all of which are easy), and even if you feel as though you've messed up, you can always press start and go to restart which will take you to the beginning of the room/area in the same condition you were in when you last entered it. Bravo.

Currently, nothing on any system can compare with RE4's visuals. This game is to video games what guys like Michelangelo and Albrecht D?rer are to art. There's more amazing scenery and creatures within the first several hours than exists in most other games in their entirety. And whereas many other games take the shortcut of repeating locales in certain areas, RE4 never does such a thing. For over 20 hours, everything is fresh and new, and it all runs at a steady 30 frames per second. You will not believe how much visual delight Capcom has managed to cram into the first disc alone. You'll keep expecting it to end but it won't. It just goes on and on....

These are, without a doubt, some of the most insane, deviously intelligent, outright freaky enemies you'll ever witness. Enemies often SWARM Leon, hunting his every footstep, and they come packing a wide assortment of weaponry including pitchforks, axes, chainsaws, crossbows, and even heavy artillery like rocket launchers! Many of them wear helmets, carry shields and wear protective armor. Then there are those enemies which have defined the RE series for as long as can be remembered, albeit given a fresh, new twist. No more mindlessly blasting away everything that comes into your line of fire. And to top it off, the boss encounters (of which there are plenty) will razzle dazzle you, if not outright intimidate you. Yes folks, the fear factor is set especially high, so come prepared.

Coexisting with all this drama and arresting detail is a perfectly well suited soundtrack that helps accentuate the pressure, the foreboding despair, and the insanity of what's happening onscreen (and off....). And it all takes full advantage of the Dolby Pro Logic II. Whether it's the murmuring or growls of something you cannot see but know is there, or the chanting and devilish laughter of the monks in a castle, there's always something within a short distance just waiting for the chance to kill. Again, very impressive stuff. But then what isn't impressive about RE4?

If you own a GameCube, you must own Resident Evil 4. That's really all there is to it. I couldn't put it down for almost an entire week -- That's how good it is. There's tons of substance behind the intoxicating visuals and secrets galore to keep you busy for hours on end. As of this very moment, RE4 is probably my favorite GC title.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-04-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 AM   #1086
Joe Redifer
Olé!
 
Joe Redifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 19,520
The EGM review of RE4 is amazingly positive. 10, 9.5, 10. They mentioned the lack of strafing mostly as an aside. Turning is slow and strafing may have helped things. The criticism is definitely not "uncalled for" in any way. That is just retarded. As for the last boss in Halo 2, did the same exact reviewer who mentioned the last boss in RE4 also review Halo 2? You are bashing EGM just for the sake of bashing them, and it is becoming quite tiresome.

And yes, the GC could use some saving. It's not exactly thriving in the market, ya know.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #1087
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,516
Actually, it wasn't just that one reviewer who complained about there not being any strafing. Turning isn't slow: tap back + B for a quickturn. And it wasn't just Shane who complained about the final boss; in one of the picture captions, they complained it was too weak. Did they ever do that with Halo 2? No, they didn't. Furthermore, it's pretty sad how they gave Ys VI a mere half-page whereas titles which rated lower such as Shadows of Rome and Xenosaga II, get a full page. Every single point I've made is the truth: they place Sony first and Nintendo last, they invent criticism in order to lower ratings for games on Nintendo consoles (echo visor, weak bosses, no voice acting in Paper Mario, etc.), and I could go on. So I don't care whether "it is becoming quite tiresome" because I know for a fact that I'm 100% right about the rampant Sony bias.

And no, the GC doesn't need to be saved, save from the pro-Sony media which unfairly hypes the hell out of everything that's Halo or Sony related and labels Nintendo kiddie. That's what's becoming tiresome.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #1088
Joe Redifer
Olé!
 
Joe Redifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 19,520
Quote:
Every single point I've made is the truth
No, every single point you've made is an opinion.

Quote:
they invent criticism in order to lower ratings for games on Nintendo consoles
That is simpy moronic. Yeah, they invent stuff that's not actually wrong with the game just so they can rate it a paltry 10, 9.5 (*GASP!*), and 10. They would never rate this so high if it weren't coming out for the PS2 later, right?

Turning is slow. The back+li'l red button trick only works for 180? turns. What if you want to turn 90?? No quick way to do that, I'm afraid. And boy, they really were unfair. They gave the game a 9.5 as the lowest review after all. What pro-Sony bias!

The media also hypes the hell out of games like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, any Zelda game, any true Mario game, and so on. Admit it. You like bashing Sony and EGM just because that's what you are used to doing. You definitely reek to me of fanboy.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #1089
sanlands
Got Dust?
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 213
Icarus seems to not understand opinion either. All your posts and stuff are always comparing Sony sony sony.

So shutup about it. I keep hearing crap about you and IGN or EGM desperately lying. Tell me, why the hell would they lie in the first place?
This is basically all you say
"IGN and EGM are desperately lying, and have you ever noticed they always mention how the PSP is so sexy?"
Heres my version of it
"Nintendo fans are always complaining about game reviewers, and have you noticed they always mention how faulty Sony's products are?"

Jeezus... So really, you should shutup about Nintendo being last.. Or IGN is desperately lying to make Sony win. Then you make up bull saying Sony purposely makes faulty products. Then you keep talking about how opinions different from fact and your pointing out facts.

And to sink even lower you post a stupid baby crying... As of right now all I see is a guy named Icarus who keeps whining and crying about Sony... Every single posts is always something negative towards.. Sony.

And yeah Icarus.. Your like using Papers logic of "Their giving it high because its coming out for PS2 9 months later"

Go on.. keep crying Icarus... Keep on whining about how the media is controlled by Sony. Society is controlled by Sony... Sony purposely makes faulty products.. Keep saying all that and claiming its fact and it's been scientifically proven. Go on...
sanlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #1090
Vicviper
Hello handsome!
 
Vicviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,081
Icarus, Great review of RE4. I am not done with the game yet and already it is one of my favorites for the system. I also agree that the graphics are the best I've seen on a home console. I think in Ch. 4.1 there is a hallway you run down with red curtains blowing in the breeze from broken windows. I must say that that is the best effect I have ever seen given to a cloth in a video game(this is the nerdiest statement I have EVER made!). It is so realistic I can smell the springtime freshness in those curtains. The level design of the castle is amazind. I'm assuming that the creative team behind this game actually went to Europe and studied and copied rooms from actual castles. Konami should take note as if you subplant Simon Belmont in this same castle in RE4 you would have a KILLER 3D Castlevania game.
Now on to your bashing of EGM. I have to agree with you to an extent that they completely favor Sony over MS and Nintendo but I feel that you are starting to get tunnel vision. EGM did rate RE4 very highly. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and look at situations from different perspectives.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:10 AM   #1091
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.
 
Drunken Savior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,634
I donno, I kinda like the Resident Evil remake more than Resident Evil 4 thusfar. I'll admit, I'm not that far, but RE(Remake) is my favorite Gamecube game right now. I mean, it's like reliving video game history. Like watching your grandfather get up and boogie as hard as he did when he was 22. It was just beautiful, it was justice. Now if all my favorite games could get such a worth redo, utilizing today's technology fullest, adding more depth to the story, the feeling of nastalgia mixed with a new game, I'd feel gaming has turned a beautiful golden leaf.
__________________

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:05 AM   #1092
blueskied
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
So I don't care whether "it is becoming quite tiresome" because I know for a fact that I'm 100% right about the rampant Sony bias.

Icarus, you've been saying you're 100% right about everything, and everything you say is "truth" and "fact" (when it's really just opinion) since you started posting here. That's the main reason I have a problem with many of your posts. It's sorta sad you still can't tell the difference between fact and opinion after all this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
And no, the GC doesn't need to be saved, save from the pro-Sony media which unfairly hypes the hell out of everything that's Halo or Sony related and labels Nintendo kiddie.
Oh, I love this! Pro-Sony media hypes HALO!?!
What kind of crack are you on? Why would a Pro-Sony media do that? I don't remember Halo being released on a Sony console. Oh, I get it, the media are hyping MS and Sony in order to bring Nintendo down, right? And they knock a half a point off high profile Capcom-developed games for Nintendo systems, just to bash Nintendo and hype Sony (oh yeah, and Halo too for some reason, even though that's for the Xbox). Oh it must be that, that must be the TRUTH. It makes so much SENSE. Is that what the voices you hear are telling you these days?
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #1093
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,870
RE4 is not a NGC only game
sites give it high have nothing to do with Nintendo
RE4 is game just like NFS and like VJ2 etc etc
and saying that who give this game high loves Nintendo is just like saying
VJ2 get high because they love Sony :annoyed:
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #1094
Nephlabobo
Banned
 
Nephlabobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carbombia
Posts: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperEXE
RE4 is not a NGC only game
sites give it high have nothing to do with Nintendo
RE4 is game just like NFS and like VJ2 etc etc
and saying that who give this game high loves Nintendo is just like saying
VJ2 get high because they love Sony :annoyed:
um......what?
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #1095
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.
 
Drunken Savior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperEXE
RE4 is not a NGC only game
As of right now it is. And it'll be that way until the end of this year. That's one hell of a time exclusive!
__________________

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.