The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-06-2004, 06:43 AM   #916
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Nintendo didn't make RCR--Technos did. Yes, I'd love to see a proper sequel. But didn't you know that there was an official sequel for the Super Famicom way back? And no, I've never played that Quest for Tires game you mentioned. I don't even know anything about it, and, judging from how crappy you make it out to be, don't think I want to.

Aside from that, I'd just like to add that in the FMV opening for DoAXBV Hitomi looks like a HAG. Just felt like saying that.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:51 AM   #917
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Yep I remember Technos making RCR, just meant that since it was on Nintendo originally, it would be sweet if Nintendo could have another one, and with 4 players, that would be the ultimate party game with friends I never got a chance to pick up the RCR game for the GBA. I will have to though.

And yeah BCs Quest for Tires sucked bad-you were this caveman who rode on...<drumroll>...a stone wheel as you jumped over holes in the ground and rocks.
One stage was you racing downhill a mountain and you had to dodge falling volcanic chunks of ash.
Another stage had you approach a small lake with 5 turtles on the surface who would periodically go under so you had to gradually jump across like Frogger. At the end of the pond there was this fat, ugly cavechick who tried to time her swing and club you over the head LOL.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:55 AM   #918
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Sounds like the epitimy of suckitude. I'll have to review some old Atari games sometime. For now, I'm working on Paper Mario 2 and whatever follows, I don't know at this point. I'm not in the mood to pay $50 for yet another GTA because, simply put, I own III and VC and, therefore, know what to expect. My bro will be getting Halo2 and he's gonna force me to see it, I know.... Metroid Prime 2 is a definite. MGS3, I dunno.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:05 AM   #919
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

I feel the same about GTA:SA. Although people keep saying it is huge and there is so much you can do, I've played all the previous ones and can say I won't be missing anything if I avoid it. I am stoked about Prime 2 though. It may sound like I dislike Nintendo in some of my posts but honestly, I just expect a lot more from today's video game developers regardless of the systems. There is so much talent out there yet it seems around 10 or so years ago, people who realized how much money the video game industry generates decided to make their own companies and games, which led all downhill cause as you said, so many don't care about quality anymore. Ya know it's kinda like Hollywood when they blow millions of bucks on crappy movies over and over again. They come up with ideas they think would make a great game, but what they fail to do is check the quality list of what we gamers think would translate their ideas in to a great success.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:11 AM   #920
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

All too often, games are headed up by egotistical posers (Itagaki), false visionaries (Molyneux) or corporate sumbags who are out for a quick buck. Why do you think Itagaki has been left in charge of Team NINJA? Because DoA sells. Why does DoA sell? Anybody could figure that out, and it's not because it has stellar gameplay. Sure, Ninja Gaiden was great, but that's one title in how many? GTA games sell because of the violence. Once again, there's no real great gameplay to speak of. You ride around a city killing people and getting chased by cops. What makes San Andreas so much different/better than the others? Nobody has come forth with a reasonable explanation. It's ok when Rockstar rehashes the same engine, yet a company like Capcom gets condemned for doing the same thing. Not that I don't agree that rehashing is a poor idea, but let's see the media pull their heads out of their butts and stop being a bunch of hypocrites.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 AM   #921
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

Heck, if I had the money I'd love to make my own RPG development company for a console system in the U.S.(which would be cool since literally all are in Japan). I even have been working for almost 10 years on and off on a game idea-storyline is almost done, characters are complete, battle system, skills and abilities, quests, concept of factions, crafting skills, etc. I'd love to be able to pitch it to a major company once finished or even better, be able to get involved in the development.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:52 PM   #922
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Hinako.... is that that stupid sumo girl? I hate her!
Most people hate K9999, Choi & Chang (althgouh the latter two have more fans than the fist).
I personally don't like Ryo, mainly cuz he appeared in moe games than Robert.
I gues that'll be enough from me on KoF .
Old 11-07-2004, 03:12 AM   #923
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Hey man, you reviewed Dead or Alive Ultimate(Dead or Alive Online up until earlier this year) and didn't even talk about the online portion of the game. Lame! I scream Bias! It's just like those lame EGM reviews, where the review is so general and there are some facts wrong, that you wonder if the reviewer played the game. Lame!
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:58 AM   #924
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

RalliSport Challenge 2 also has online play, yet I didn't care to comment on that. I don't use X-Box Live, ever, so it's kinda hard for me to go into detail about something like that. Anyway, I judge the game on its own merits, and I did say that you could go online with it. It's no mystery by now what the deal is with online play, so why should I care? What am I going to say, "I, like, played against these people. And some of them were good at juggle combos. And, like, the lag time was scarce"? I mean seriously, does it matter? If I review a fighting game that doesn't have online play, do I really need go into detail about its VS mode? No, because everybody already knows about that.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:22 AM   #925
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Just a quick note that I've just about finished adding all the links to the index. I should have up the Paper Mario 2 review by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:54 PM   #926
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Icarus, review Soul Blazer for the SNES. I am curious to what you have to say concerning the game.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:11 AM   #927
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

For a moment there I thought you were talking about Sky Blazer. I don't own Soul Blazer, but I'll try to locate a copy anyway. I'll let you know if and when I get it.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:37 PM   #928
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Icarus, if you get the chance, review Halo 2. I'll do the same. It'll be great to have differing persectives on this game. And since this game is more important than humanity itself, it deserves a review!

I like Out Run 2 better than Halo 2. And yes, they are directly comparable. I think Bonk's Adventure is better than Halo 2 as well. But still, I do enjoy the Halo 2 and think it is worth a purchase. Official review in my section coming sometime soon!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:21 AM   #929
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

No problem. My brother got his copy, so when he's finished with it I'll play it. Anyway, I'm doing the PM2 review... right now!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:35 AM   #930
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Studly guy, coming through!

Paper Mario ~ The Thousand-Year Door - GC - Rating 7

A foreword~
To those who might criticize the "delayed approach" which characterizes many of my reviews. It is true that it takes me longer than the game media to produce reviews of the more recent titles. Naturally, those in the press get titles much sooner than you and I do. As far as my reviews are concerned, I'm a gamer before a writer. However, my approach is, I feel, vastly superior to theirs. Whereas they are more or less focused on being the first to deliver reviews for the sake of postulation and bragging rights, my approach requires a greater sense of understanding and thought-process. One often does not attain perspective while in close proximity to but rather distanced from an event in time. One learns more from the past than the present, after all, because only then will one have had the proper amount of time to accept decisions as being correct and be more attentive to the possibility of mistakes. To remedy the situation, I feel it is a requirement that I pursue a direction altogether apart from the tired echoes of modern day game journalism.

Onto the review.

Paper Mario ~ The Thousand-Year Door is, in a word, magic. Never before have I played an RPG with so many random ideas, and the fact that there's around 30 hours of non-stop creativity on display is a testament to the powers that be over at Nintendo. Forget about Tales of Symphonia and the like--this is how it's done. But what is Paper Mario, anyway? As any self-respecting gamer would tell you, PM is the RPG series starring Nintendo's beloved mustached plumber hero. Square and Nintendo broke the mold back in the mid-90's with the SNES smash hit Super Mario RPG ~ Legend of the Seven Stars, to which Nintendo followed up with the N64's swan song, the original Paper Mario. Leave it to Nintendo to inject "fun" into what has become a sleep-inducing genre.
As you can imagine, Mario must (again) attempt to rescue Princess Peach. However, it's not that simple; Peach was kidnapped by the X-Nauts, an alien race in pursuit of some 'ancient treasure' said to exist. But why have they taken her? What's this treasure everybody speaks of? When will someone send me a million dollars? Only Mario has the credentials for this massive undertaking. In the process of attempting to locate her royal pain-in-the-arse and find the hidden treasure, he'll have to jump, bop and Rawk his way through eight chapters filled with adventure and mystery. To this end, Mario will gain the assistance of seven different companions, each with their own special abilities. Why, that just shrieks of rrrromance and thrills and emotion and even money!!!

Bowser ~ "Mario's trying to get it all! Tresures, princesses... Does his greed never end?"

The way the story is presented is so entertaining that one could record all the dialogue scenes, then watch it and have a good time. The writing skills on display puts other RPGs to SHAME. It is with the greatest regret that I must report to you the incompetence on display in a certain mag that begins with an E and ends with a GM. They complained about there not being any voice acting. Are you oiking me? I take it they have a problem with actually having to read (need some help guys?) because it's apparent that they don't do much of it, judging by how their magazine is littered with crappy screenshot spreads and potty-mouthed innuendo, coming off sounding like a bunch of brats who just recently reached puberty. Such insolence! Grrrrrrrrr! I growl at you like an angry jungle beast! I ought to...

I'm dreaming. Yup.
Just a bad dream...
Gonna wake up ANY second...

The FACT of the matter is that PM2 is loaded with great material, better than 99% of the other stuff out there, a showcase of Nintendo's masterful literary skills, rich in interesting content, personality, wit, and comedic value. This is epic storytelling in the truest sense, folks. Don't be fooled by the invented complaints of a bunch of Sony-owned reviewers. And don't even get me started on that other 'review'....
Back to the game. Paper Mario's visual presentation is distinct in that all of the characters and most of the environments are made up of what looks to be paper-thin 2D cutouts. I don't care what way you slice it (*snicker*), PM2 looks fanTABULOUS! The characters, of course, animate, as do many of the environments, and when Mario folds up into certain objects, twists around like a pretzel, or rolls himself under tight spaces... priceless. You wanna talk colorful? Mario shimmers and vibes with the best of 'em. You can take that to the bank, cash it in ...and send me the money.
Battling is fun (gee, what a shocker), featuring actual play mechanics instead of bland menu driven stuff. You can select from several icons and each move you use differs per character. Say you're Mario and you wanna hammer a foe.... Simply choose the hammer icon, select the attack, then hold back on the analog stick while the power meter charges, wait for it to max out then release for a smashing blow. And, if you time your button taps just right, you can even go for Stylish moves! What's that? Well, it has to do with the audience in attendance during every battle. You're thinking "Woah! Nobody told me that they were having a special screening for the new Bruce Campbell film!" Sit down, I'll tell you about it. In battle, Mario is fighting on a stage with a crowd in attendance, watching and cheering on (or booing) the action. As you do better and better in battle, your audience capacity starts to fill, and they're vital in many circumstances because by appealing to the crowd, using Stylish moves and defeating foes, their cheering will help you replenish lost Star Power which is used for special moves acquired by obtaining stars from each chapter. The crowd grows even bigger later on and there's yet more for you to discover about them, but you'll have to play it and see for yourself.
Getting back to the play mechanics, each character that joins Mario's side serves two functions: Special abilities for while you're adventuring on the field and unique moves while in battle. For example, Mario can jump on Koops to send his shell flying out to hit otherwise unreachable switches and retrieve items. In battle, he can attack land-based enemies with his Shell Toss (hold back on analog and release when the cursor lights up the star in the center), plus other special moves. With the Yoshi (I named him Yoshi Jr), you can ride on him to increase your speed and use his hover ability to cross chasms (*note* as he's small he cannot jump with Mario on his back). In battle, he can perform a Ground Pound by rapidly pressing the R-trigger before he situates himself above the chosen foe. Even the Special Moves have their own unique play mechanics. For instance, with Art Attack you can freely draw circles around your opponents with the analog stick to cause exceptional damage. Then there's the badges, the items, the transformations, how there's sometimes over 100 characters onscreen at once, etc. etc. I could go on and on....

Rawk ~ "Remember: When life rocks you, RAWK BACK!"

Expect a worthy quest that lasts around 30 hours plus more for after the game is complete. There is backtracking to do at certain times and this hurts the experience a little but, when all is said and done, the quest is more than worth it. If I regret anything, it's that I couldn't spend more time playing as Bowser. "Wha...?", you're saying to yourself in utter anguish, "You can play as Bowser?!? So totally the opposite of true!" Yes, you CAN play as Bowser after each chapter concludes and once you've played as Princess Peach. "....This cannot be happening!!" Oh, but it is SO VERY HAPPENING, BRO!! Yup, you can use Peach and Bowser for brief periods of time, and Bowser even gets to take on several Mario-esque 2D stages!! Capitol, baby! :cool guy:

Oh, by the way, you'll occassionally meet up with Luigi in Rogueport, and he'll keep you up-to-date with exploits of his own 'famous' quest to save Princess Eclair of the Waffle Kingdom. I kid you not. :bigsmile:

The soundtrack is spot-on and compliments the visual design flawlessly, as well as the events and personalities. Check Bowser: He'll make an impromptu appearance in a normally peaceful town, such as Twilight Town, and that familiar Bowser Castle theme music from the original Super Mario Bros. will begin, albeit a retooled version of it. SINISTER! And then there's the music for whenever Mario opens a certain type of treasure chest. Trust me, it's classic. Each of the areas and main bosses has its own unique music. The battle theme is yet another new arrangement of the original SMB theme, which is highly welcome on the Icarus list of things that are, umm, welcome. Some of the music isn't so hot but what's offered here is every bit as good as Mario & Luigi ~ SuperStar Saga, if not better. The sound effects are the typical Mario fare except that it's all higher quality. It's great to hear Mario go "Oh yeah!" and to hear Bowser's growling and laughter.
I've been having it rough as of late. Do you know how hard it is for me to sit here playing fun games like PM~TTYD for review purposes? With games such as this here gem, Mario Tennis and Metroid Prime 2, Nintendo has yet another blockbuster holiday lineup. The game media means to ruin Nintendo's lineup, trying to put lame rehash crud like GTA~SA above sterling quality such as this. I should turn them into a pinata and throw a party on the beach! I don't wanna have to use a ninja punch....

Well, my adoring fans have gone, so I will be excusing myself now, as well.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 11-24-2004 at 03:14 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote