The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-10-2004, 01:19 AM   #841
Vert1
Banned

Thanks. I've taken a liking to Breath of Fire. Wonderful music I tell ya.

one day I'm going start to make gifs and that day shall be grand.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:22 AM   #842
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I have some songs from the original Breath of Fire on CD. Sounds very good. I wish more RPGs sounded that good these days.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-10-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:30 PM   #843
Vert1
Banned

Read about Alien Hominid while you're in 2D mode!

ALien Hominid interview

Icarus you're hardcore have you ever played Alien Soldier?

Last edited by Vert1; 10-10-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:15 AM   #844
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Yes, I have. Very, very awesome game. Too bad that I don't have a copy at the moment, but I don't see why it would be difficult to obtain one. Somewhere within my upcoming reviews, I want to get more Genesis and Dreamcast games done. Perhaps some Thunder Force IV? Now there's a kickass shooter.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:22 PM   #845
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Thunder Force IV is a kickass shooter! And nobody appreciates how they changed the name to the MISSPELLED "Lightening Force" for the US more than me!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:29 PM   #846
Vert1
Banned

Bad times:

Quote:
Wow, as I'm sure some of you are aware, Game Informer gave this game(Paper Mario:TTYD) a really low score. I don't remember the exact score, but it was in the 5's. Wanna know the reasoning behind it? *Ahem...*

From GI Forums:

"GI-Jeremy wrote:

Lisa and I both knew that our Paper Mario scores were going to cause controversy. Yes, we know that many people out there will love it. We also know that it is a well-made game. However, it also WILL NOT appeal to many people - I would safely say that more people will dislike it than like it. Why? Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.

FOr example, I really like the bizarre frog golf game Ribbit King, and I gave it a 7, because it's just not for everyone. Paper Mario 2 also scored low because it's just not for everyone. If you think it's a 10 in your book, it's a ten in your book, and that doesn't change if we disagree. We're here to guide you on what games to pick up, but ultimately your personal opinion is what will make you buy a game or not.

I hope this helps."
Old 10-12-2004, 09:48 PM   #847
Phazon Pirate
The Posts Challenger

Arrow

????????????????????? *looks confused*
Phazon Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:38 AM   #848
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Vert1, we'll see about that. I'll be reviewing Fable tommorrow and I'll tell you right now that I don't really like it at all. I'm gonna have to cancel the SvC Chaos review because my bro returned it because he says that it sucked. Go figure.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #849
time&space

I don't like fable either...
*Mathematics is the language of all. Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers. If you graph the numbers of any system paterns will emerge. Therefore, there are paterns everywhere universally. Study these paterns and the truth of life will be found~eternity...
time&space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #850
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Lisa and I both knew that our Paper Mario scores were going to cause controversy. Yes, we know that many people out there will love it. We also know that it is a well-made game. However, it also WILL NOT appeal to many people - I would safely say that more people will dislike it than like it. Why? Like we said in the review, it's a very kiddie game - it's target audience is clearly young gamers - I would say 10 and under. For that reason, we had to score it low. Remember, we aren't scoring games strictly on our personal opinions, we're also scoring them based on how much we think THE GAMING PUBLIC will like them. We've all played games that we personally disliked and scored them well because we've known that most people will like them, and we've also scored games low that we love, because most people won't enjoy them.
wrong
you should give good games high score(good games like all nintendo games and all megaman games ect..)and gives all bad games low score(bad games like halo and GTA and all microsoft games ect....)
:kill: :kill: :kill: to the anti-nintendo Game Informer
PS: :kill: :kill: :kill: Game Informer are worst than :kill: EGM
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #851
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperEXE
wrong
you should give good games high score(good games like all nintendo games and all megaman games ect..)and gives all bad games low score(bad games like halo and GTA and all microsoft games ect....)
:kill: :kill: :kill: to the anti-nintendo Game Informer
PS: :kill: :kill: :kill: Game Informer are worst than :kill: EGM

Paper, your fanboyism is beyond the power of the mighty lord Jesus himself. There are some stinkers that actually came from Nintendo, DK3, Zelda the Wand of Gamalon, and F-1 Race to be exact. Don't think for once that Nintendo makes all good games, Icarus' reviews are proof of this. With that aside, what I played of the demo of Paper Mario was indeed great, and I don't agree with GI's view on how the gaming public thinks.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #852
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Jesus was a fanboy? Which console did He advocate?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:50 AM   #853
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
Zelda the Wand of Gamalon
Except Nintendo never developed the title nor ever had anything at all to do with it. The only reason it exists (as well as the other two) is because of a clause in the SNES CD agreement with Phillips, that allowed them to develop Nintendo franchise games on the CDi.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:34 AM   #854
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
Paper, your fanboyism is beyond the power of the mighty lord Jesus himself. There are some stinkers that actually came from Nintendo, DK3, Zelda the Wand of Gamalon, and F-1 Race to be exact. Don't think for once that Nintendo makes all good games, Icarus' reviews are proof of this. With that aside, what I played of the demo of Paper Mario was indeed great, and I don't agree with GI's view on how the gaming public thinks.
1-Zelda the Wand of Gamalon:not from nintendo
2-F-1 Race :I never played this game
3-DK3: this game is great
and about Icarus
Icarus like games that have alot of challenging thats why he hate animal crossing
and hate Onimusha 3 because it have alot of cut scenes
but all in all Icarus reviews are good
and when I said all nintendo games I meant most nintendo games

Last edited by PaperEXE; 10-14-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:18 PM   #855
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I could break you

Fable - X-Box - Rating 3
Peter Molyneux, Lionhead Studios persident/creator of such cult favorites as Populous and Black & White, has often been hailed as an innovator in the video game industry. Indeed, one can readily see the craftsmanship which is invariably a hallmark of the titles which he has worked on. I recognize him as an ideasman, a person who puts a great deal of thought into his efforts. But when it comes down to the overall quality of the title in question, that's something which isn't predicated solely on the ideas of one person. Better if you can take one good idea and make it work effectively (e.g. Tetris) than using a multitude of ideas which come together in a work without cohesion nor actual effectiveness. The latter is what's happened with Fable--a four year effort by Big Blue Box, a UK developer which started in 1999. With Peter spearheading Fable, and a great deal of hype surrounding the project, there was a lot for the title to live up to. Strange though it may seem, I went into this game without any expectations nor optimism. I just knew that this was a title which people were talking about for awhile and that it was supposed to change how I viewed RPGs forever.
In a word: No. Fable does not alter my preconceptions about the RPG genre nor gaming as a whole. What I'm playing is essentially a poor man's Zelda with elements of Ultima thrown into the mix (without affecting the product in a positive way, I would say). The controls are sloppy and hard to grow accustomed to, and all of the extra effort required in order to come to grips with them doesn't reward the gamer in any way, shape or form. You learn to attack in three ways: Melee weaponry, ranged weaponry and will power (magic skills). Once you've sparred with Whisper, another student at the Guild, you'll know most everything there is to combat. I'll discuss this more later on.
Fable was known as "Project Ego" early in development. The story falls into ever-familiar vengeance territory, where you as the lead character, the Hero, watch firsthand as your home village Oakvale gets burned and ransacked by bandits. Just before one of the bandits can catch you, a mysterious person with magical powers beyond comprehension comes to your rescue. His name is Maze and he offers you the safe shelter of the Guild where you grow up and learn the ways of the Hero in order to exact revenge. However, as with every RPG, you soon discover that things didn't happen the way you might've imagined and relatives thought to be dead resurface in unexpected ways....
Wow, so now that the breathtaking plot has been dealt to you, I suppose now's the time to discuss what is supposed to make Fable such a unique experience. Simply put, as you get put through the paces and live out your adventure, your character develops into whatever kind of person you desire for him to become. In other words, there's a great deal of customization. You can determine whether you are revered by the normal folk or looked down upon, even feared by everybody. How? Simple --- Committing bad deeds such as stealing, killing and using rude gestures will earn you the privilege of being generally disliked and, depending on the circumstances, attacked by guards. If you keep committing bad deeds your appearance will eventually change to incorporate darker features such as horns and disfiguration of your body features. People will often run away with fear, shrieking and crying out in horror at your unpicturesque appearance. However, perform good deeds and you shall be rewarded with a more heroic appearance (unless you decide to make yourself look fearful via darker clothing and such). So, the more good you do and quests you accomplish, the more people will revere you. Some people will run up and follow you, girls will be flattered by your presence and you'll be, well.... you get the picture. You can flatter, insult, or even amuse people using gestures, most of which must be earned. And if you buy or rent a "maternal house" you can even get hitched.
Sounds in-depth right? Wrong. :annoyed: People act mechanical, even moreso than in Grand Theft Auto games. For instance, let's say you begin slashing a commoner to death. Others will often just stand around dumbfounded and do nothing for awhile, often yelling at you, telling you to "Get out!" or some other negative commentary. Does that sound realistic to you? And just think about this: In Ultima games on dated technology such as the Commodore personal computer systems, if you killed somebody, people would keep their distance, offering no response or begging for their lives. Meanwhile, the guards would be hot on your butt, and they are TOUGH. The initial guards with the blue garbs in Fable are a piece of cake to take out. Then later comes the red ones which can take a bit more damage. Again, most of these ideas were already done long ago, only they were used with more thought and had more of an effect on the actual gameplay than here. Not once did I feel the consequences for wiping out an entire town: I could kill two people standing in front of a shop owner and he'd still offer his services! Try doing that in an Ultima title and you'd get that good old "goodbye look." Now that's consequence! :cool guy: But not in Fable, nuh-uh. Despite the vastly superior technology and FOUR YEARS of development time. By comparison, a game such as Ultima V took three years. Looks like Lord British will be sleeping easy knowing that Peter's "vision" doesn't change the RPG landscape as we know it. Big Blue Box should kiss Origin's royal asses for doing much of what Fable has to offer but doing it much better long ago.

Origin indeed--Fable innovates nothing.

The controls are horrible, plain and simple. It tries to be part-Zelda, part-Ultima and falls flat on its face. Let's say you get attacked by a bandit or the undead. You 'lock-on' with one of the worst lock-on mechanisms to ever be found in all of gaming: Hold L while looking towards the target you'd like to erase, make sure you have drawn a weapon (black for melee, white for ranged) and begin attacking. You can also choose to use magic by holding R, but you can only set up to three spells to the buttons at any particular time, which means that if you'd like to set a new spell you'll have to reconfigure your spell settings to accommodate your preferences. If you want to change your target, use the right analog stick. Oftentimes, you'll be fighting with a group of enemies surrounding you and have no choice but to get hit by unexpected ranged attacks. The combat which you initially learn is the same combat you'll be using throughout the entire game. That means that there isn't really anything to learn later on which isn't possible early on that changes the strategy of combat. You go up to enemies and attack them or hit them from afar; it's a game of glorified Pong. Foes are STUPID and since you can buy a tremendous amount of rations (they're extremely economic in price range) you can simply keep attacking enemies without worrying too much about being hit because all you'll have to do is tap left on the d-pad to use potions and rations to replenish your health. Let me put it this way--you'd have to truly suck in order to be defeated. Heck, within only a few hours you should have acquired a few Resurrection Phials. It's like the developers went out of their way to make sure that you never perish.

The combat isn't even close to being on the same level as 3D Zelda titles. In fact, comparing Zelda's battle system to Fable's is like comparing Street Fighter II Turbo to Karate Champ. The only difference is that Karate Champ is much harder than Fable, and more in-depth to boot. How's that for a comparison? Before some of you begin whining, I'll answer the "Why are you comparing Fable's battle system to Zelda's?" Simple. Because I can. They're extremely similar, and it's obvious where Big Black Box took most of their inspiration from. The way things stand, even the original Zelda is more in-depth and challenging to boot, though I don't want to insult Zelda as it is still a very good game. Since strategic action is a no-show here in Fable, you'd at least expect some comprehensive dungeons to keep your brain occupied. Sadly, the few dungeons are devoid of puzzle solving and most of your time will be spent wandering through forest areas, running along creeks and riverbeds, and helping defend towns from invading forces. I didn't care for my lead character and didn't care one bit for the other characters such as Maze, Whisper, Gildmaster, Twinblade, and Jack of Swords. But hey, the cinemas are alright and progress the plot and character interaction. Ask yourself if that's enough to warrant the hype, let alone the purchase, and the answer should come very easily.
The music is another neagtive. Aside from the gorgeous serenity of the areas which reside behind Demon Doors, everything else falls way short. The opening both looks and sounds like it's trying to mimic the feel of a Tim Burton film. Take that as you may. I didn't even really notice the music most of the time because it's very uneventful, sophomoric stuff. Listening to Fable is akin to reading the alphabet and expecting Shakespeare--it's just not happening. Sound effects are ok and the voice acting ranges from good to average. No big deal.
It's sad to realize that a title with so much potential such as Fable has to suffer the consequences for being too ambitious for no apparent reason. There's nothing offered here which hasn't been done better before, save for perhaps one or two small elements which I'm failing to bring up. Obviously, if I can't remember them, it's not important enough to relay to you anyway. I didn't touch upon experience distribution because it's shallow and doesn't make the game any better nor improve the lackluster battling system. Wow, so you can "power up" several aspects of your character which would automatically be fulfilled properly in any other RPG via a simple level-up.... I'll call you back when I actually care. The only difference is in appearance and in which magics you may choose to carry around and power-up further (but why you'd do this when it's much easier to power up weapons, I don't know). Where's the funfactor hiding at?

I cannot play Fable for graphics because I've seen much better, and I don't really care for the graphics anyway. Seriosuly, who cares if there are three or four more trees visible onscreen than in some other "RPG"? The character renders looks kinda dumb, especially the disproportionate heads on many of the people. Environments and effects are all same-old, same-old. But perhaps there's two extra polygons on that rock over there (Ooooooh). Where's the imagination? Woah, there's a big troll creature throwing big rocks at me. Wow, some imagination. Whoever thought that up?
Save your money for something else because Fable is a joke. It doesn't even seem like an RPG so much as it does an action/adventure title, albeit a weak one. Even Brave Fencer Musashi looks like a masterpiece in comparison! Fable is just another example of the idiot hype machine that the game media perpetrates on the unsuspecting masses everyday. For instance, check out EGM Issue #185 ~ The cover is just a huge closeup of Master Chief's head.... Halo 2 is gonna be the BEST FPS ever!!! How do I know? Because they all said so. So, explain to me in detail how exactly it is that pressing a button to shoot at an enemy in Halo is so much better than shooting at an enemy in any other FPS?

I defy you to give me a logical explanation. Anybody, please feel free to state your case.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-15-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote