The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-03-2003, 08:54 AM   #46
Alucard

Well like the heading says, they're his reviews. Someone could hop up and give one of the Tokimemo games 9/10 and alot of people on here wouldn't play them. I think its a good thread since it gives us insights as to what others think about certain games. As for professional reviewers... Doug Perry <that his name?> over at IGN is a prof reviewer, and I think he's a complete tosser.

Actually I'm surprised a few others haven't put up their own review threads, like Blueskeid for example since he likes to toss some here and there. I'm too lazy to write my own. They'd basically all be Konami games and the main body of he review would be 'This game r0x0rz. Play it or I'll kill you'. Kinda crappy.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:33 AM   #47
blueskied

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard

Actually I'm surprised a few others haven't put up their own review threads, like Blueskeid for example since he likes to toss some here and there.
I did post a review of Galaxy Angel for the jap xbox the other day. I gave it a high score as I think it deserves it (a 94%).
I plan on posting reviews for Japanese games when they first come out, and in the next week I'll post a review of the jap xbox action-rpg Tenerezza. I'm not going to start my own review thread for a couple reasons: 1)I don't have time to review more than one game every week or two, 2)I don't think there's any point in posting a review of a game that's been reviewed a bunch of times (like Orta, DOAX, RE0, etc) so I'm just going to stick to games that AREN'T being reviewed (like Galaxy Angel, Tenerezza, maybe Ikaruga for the GC too, etc.), 3)I don't think there's any point in reviewing old, old games as first of all they were already reviewed back in the day, and second of all if they're something like a NES game you can just download and play the rom in less time than it takes to read a review of the game, hence finding out for yourself if you like the game or not. I think reviews of old NES games like River City ransom are totally unnecessary, but that's just me.

That said, I agree Icarus has harsh and sometimes contradictory ratings. Even though I don't care for Halo I'd never give it a 2, I mean, you save ratings like that for truly flawed products with little to no redeeming qualities. And giving Orta a 2 is just ridiculous, but, as the thread says, it's Icarus's opinions and he is certainly entitled to them. It's good to have different views on things, even if you don't agree with all of them.

Last edited by blueskied; 02-03-2003 at 09:35 AM.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 09:46 AM   #48
Alucard

I'm definately looking forward to those japanese game reviews, blue. Theres heaps of stuff there that come out that would never make it into english, and those are usually the ones I'm really interested in. I will forever curse Sega, despite loving them, for never translating Shining Force 3 scenario 2 and 3. And I wishwishwish Dragon Force 2 made it in english. Damn, theres heaps of games I can bring up. Sakura Taisen anyone?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #49
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhound
. Anyway, my butthole could write better reviews.

Well, let's hear a review from you, or your butthole for that matter. If your skills are as good as you say I should be reading a quality review by days end.

Last edited by Vicviper; 02-03-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #50
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Let's clear these matters up. I write reviews of new and old titles based on (drumroll please....) my opinions. However, I take into consideration the 'lasting value and quality' of a product. For example, why is it that when Resident Evil 2 came out it got super-high ratings, and now with the re-release it got decimated by the reviewers? Because of graphics. They judge whether or not a game is good based on its graphics. I think that's absurd. If I played Resident Evil 2 and then played something like Driver 2 or Zone of the Enders (which have much better graphics) I'd still give Resident Evil 2 a higher rating, because it's a quality game, despite its graphics. I gave something like 'Forgotten Worlds' an 8 because it transends time with sheer fun factor, whereas something like PDO, which I believe got high ratings based solely on its graphical merits, will fade into the past and be bettered by this or that newer product. You see a great game like Yoshi's Island and you wonder why nobody has equaled (much less bettered) it on any of the new systems. It's a true classic.

As for me having a double-standard, I don't see what you're getting at. Halo was lacking, to say the very least, and when Halo 2 comes out, virtually nobody is going to care about Halo part 1 anymore (in much the same way people who buy Doom 3 won't wanna touch Doom again). FPS games utilize state-of-the-art graphics and technics and so you'd think somebody would take it and do something other than make you shoot at the same enemy 74,000 times. What's so great about that? You tell me. I personally could care less about those games, save for watching somebody else play them for 5 minutes. There's nothing that makes these games stand ahead or aside from the others aside from technical achievements and a few gimmicks. And then you play something like Metroid Prime, where the emphasis isn't just on shooting one enemy a thousand times before you move to the next section, and it innovates the genre by utilizing elements new to that type of game (though not new to Metroid itself) as well as new visions and such which are a nice addition. In contrast, what did Halo do that was so good to compensate for mundane shooting a million of the same 7 enemies? You can ride a couple of horribly-controlled vehicles. Ummm.... that's what I consider a gimmick. Do I consider that fun? No. Do you? If that's what you want to play, nobody is stopping you. I'd like to see them do something with this genre other than virtually everybody make the same game, often with a different setting.

As for why I review older games, I like to share my views and thoughts as well as try and expose some great games for anybody that hasn't had a chance to play them (and hopefully share a little nostalgia). Not only that, I speak out for things, like games that deserve sequels such as Kid Icarus.

If you don't like my section or disagree with me, then that's completely fine. But I'm making my own contribution. A 7 and 8 rating are very good ratings. Even if something gets a 5 (like Mario Sunshine) that doesn't mean the entire game isn't fun. If I gave something a 0-3 then that means I believe it has been done much better beforehand, and/or the game simply isn't that much fun to me. A 10 is reserved for games that I consider the highest quality and stand the test of time (Soul Calibur, Castlevania IV, etc.)

I know I set some of you on fire (like Gearhound, and Blueskied who tried to use the 'why bother reading his section' stance as a weapon) with my views. But I won't sacrifice my opinions for anybody or anything. If you don't like my opinions, nobody is forcing you to read them.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-13-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #51
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

(Not reading a vast majority of the thread)

Oh yeah? Well your reviews sux, imposto-Icarus!

(Not really, I just wanted to get that out of the way. People are entitled to their opinions, and reviews fall- especially those labeled "My personal ratings"- under that category. So do moronic comments like mine and genious-hound's. Sadly. No offence.)
Old 02-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #52
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

More review goodness coming your way

Persona 2 ~ Eternal Punishment - PlayStation - Rating 8
Too bad about this game. When it was released stateside it came at the same time as Final Fantasy 9, and so it was almost completely ignored. Too bad - it's a better game.
PS2-EP is the sequel in Japan to Person 2 ~ Innocent Sin, created by Atlus. Both are similar in virtually every way, albeit with some different characters, music, locations, etc. And some things are the same, such as some of the characters like Maya who is the star of PS2-EP. If you've played Persona ~ Revelations for PS then you should have a grasp as to how this game is because both are similar. And all are part of a huge series of RPGs in Japan, called Shin Megami Tensei, which has made its way to virtually every system, including the forthcoming X-Box and PlayStation 2 incarnations.
The first thing you notice about Persona 2 is that, instead of some past or future setting, it takes place in a predominately modern setting of cities complete with shops, supermarkets, buildings, and schools - a welcome change to the typical fantasy settings as seen in most every other RPG. The best thing about the game's map is that you can go wherever you want, whenever you want (so long as you make it to any new section on the map). The character designs are very interesting to say the least, featuring a very unique cast of characters and villians in one of the most unusual stories I've ever encountered in an RPG. But you really need to pay attention to the game throughout its entirety to understand it (which requires that you play virtually only this game for awhile until it's over).
The gameplay is great too, though it takes a little getting used to. The characters and enemies are sprites rather than polygon models, but the locations are in full 3D. Some rooms and places are very unique and even a bit impressive. You can rotate the camera any way you choose, in stark contrast to something like Breath of Fire 3, although that really doesn't make this game any better. The battles are interesting. Enemies can converse with you, and you can talk to them, sing songs to them, make fun of them, flatter them... etc. And every character has their own different means of communication. Sometimes, two characters will join together, one playing a classical/flamenco guitar (!) while another dances. That's just one example. And enemies react differently to different things. You can even combine up to three characters which yields even more different results, and as the game moves on and character relationships chnage more different things are possible. VERY unique to say the least. My only complaint with that is that in the first Persona ~ Revelations each character had a list of things you could make them do (such as dance, sing, bribe, etc.) while in this one you know what each character is going to try and do. However, it does make up for this with the combinations.
So what's the point to doing all this, you ask? Good question. A successful bribe (if that's what you can call it) will make enemies scared, happy, or filled with joy. And each one has a different effect. This is also the best way to get loads of tarot cards and special items you couldn't obtain otherwise. Just try not to make the demons angry. Tarot cards are basically summons, and each character can equip them. When you do, they can boost certain stats, make magics available, etc. The fighting is well done, of course. Though it can get repetitious at times (as well as very difficult) it's always a thrill to attack some enemies with a combo-magic attack, followed by beating on them with a weapon and then pulling out an Uzi and blowing them away. It sounds cool to be sure, but it's not the most impressive thing you've ever seen graphically. Nonetheless it remains an interesting combat system that has never been duplicated.
The music is very awesome (I got the 2-CD soundtrack sets for each Persona 2 as well as the 3-CD set for Persona Revelations). Some songs are cool, techno-ish dance stuff, some are weird as hell, others are funny (LOVE that convenience store song and all of its remixes ) and some are more serious. Very good stuff indeed. The sounds are good as well, though some of the voice acting in battles can get repetitious. Thankfully, to compensate for the lengthy battles, you can always turn on an option that removes all the animation and shortens the battle length greatly.
All said and done, Persona 2 ~ Eternal Punishment is a great RPG. But I only recommend it for those die-hard RPG fans who want to play everything, or to those who want something new and different. On its own merits it's a fantastic game - much better than Final Fantasy 9 in terms of story, characters, music, lasting value and longevity. However, those of you looking for instant gratification and easy difficulty may wanna try elsewhere - this game is tough.
Maya Amano - "Let's all positive thinking!"

Want artwork? ~ http://www.dragonsagadensetsu.com/P2E.html
Want more? ~ http://www.rpgdreamer.com/per2/per2char.html
Even more ~ http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/persona2-ep/art.html
You just can't get enough, can you? Here's Persona 2 ~ Innocent Sin artwork ~ http://www.dragonsagadensetsu.com/P2I.html
Here, have some more ~ http://www.rpgamer.com/games/megten/...rsona2art.html
WinAmp skins of Persona 2? Why Not? ~ http://whitney.is-a-geek.net/winamp/persona/
You decide ~ http://www.sweet-umi.net/persona/persona2ep/
This site ROCKS! ~ http://www.chthonian.net/persona/

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-13-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:16 PM   #53
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Keep posting your reviews Icarus. It's a small matter of if someone doesn't like your views all they have to do is not click on the thread, plain and simple. We don't need people like gearhound turning this place into the Gamefaqs BB. This BB is supposed to be a refreshing place where people can speak there mind if they have something important to say. I for one enjoy reading your reviews. I don't agree with all of them but I admire your point of view based on the experience you've had with a game.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:52 AM   #54
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Naturally. Like I could possibly be contained! I'm too cool to let that happen.

I even add on to past reviews sometimes with facts and tips. I don't use a percentage system %. I just don't get why anybody would use it. I mean, what do I say when someone asks me 'why a 76% and not a 77% or 75%'? I use a score of 0-10. Easy to keep track of.

Rock on.

P.S. To Gearhound, I don't believe people are going to all come here for their latest game coverage to decide what they want to buy. A 7 rating is a very good game that everybody should at least try, in my opinion. And hey, at least in my reviews, I won't change a rating 5 years later just because a game's graphics have dated (unless a sequel or something similar has taken it much further), unlike other game reviewers.

P.P.S. To Gabriel, in an RPG like Lunar 2 it does so many things the right way that it's absurd. I don't rate games based on 'innovation' as you may seem to think I do (although if something is innovative, that's not a bad thing). In Lunar 2 the programmers and designers worked hard to make a fine RPG product filled to the rims with excellent storytelling, characters, music, battle system and fun factor. It keeps you interested. In Halo, it's shoot the same enemies a million times, and in PDO the controls are a downgrade from past installments, not to mention that on Hard it becomes a game of memorizing where every little enemy and shot is coming from and instead of having to avoid most of the shots I have to shoot them all down when I'd much rather be shooting down enemies like I'm supposed to be doing in a shooting game.

Bottom line, Lunar and Lunar 2 are both fair (aside from pay to save in the Sega CD version of Lunar 2), fun, unique, interesting and does what's supposed to be done in an RPG the right way. Halo is doing what virtually every other FPS has done which means if I own something else like Doom 3 or whatever I'm gonna get the same product with a different setting (and probably a few more enemies and locales). Lunar and Lunar 2 offer something different and fun every time. That's the way I feel.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-02-2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:01 AM   #55
blueskied

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Naturally. Like I could possibly be contained! I'm too cool to let that happen.

I even add on to past reviews sometimes with facts and tips. I don't use a percentage system %. I just don't get why anybody would use it. I mean, what do I say when someone asks me 'why a 76% and not a 77% or 75%'? I use a score of 0-10. Easy to keep track of.

Rock on.

Jesus christ you're full of yourself. I've yet to come across someone that regards their own opinion so highly. You really need a reality check, Icarus. "too cool"? :irked"

And the percentage scale is merely a finer level of distinction, a game that rates an 80% is obviously not quite as good as one that rates an 89%, whereas if you give both an 8 then where's the difference? Of course all ratings are arbitrary and inherently relative to the the reviewer's tastes, but that doesn't have any more bearing on a percentage scale than it does on a "simple" 0-10 scale. Giving good games (like Orta, and even Halo) a 2, and average games like Castlevania IV a perfect 10 (I remember buying that and beating it in about 2 hours the first day I had it. I wanted to run back to the store and ask for my money back, what a waste of $60! It's not even close to being as good as Castlevania II!!), really makes your opinions fall on deaf ears around these forums.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:18 AM   #56
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Funny you should bring up Castlevania IV; it's a classic. Don't really care if it's easy ~ so are a ton of games, like Super Punch Out! That game (SPO) is super-easy to me now, but it remains tremendously fun. I can beat it in 20 minutes or so, but it's endlessly fun trying to better my timing or just beat up my opponents. If you think something like Zelda - A Link to the Past is easy after all this time, does that make it any less a classic? Not in the least. I regard my opinions as just that. And when I said I'm 'too cool' I mean I'm not concerned with being called names and being ridiculed for having opinions. I'm going to keep at it. Are you angry or something just because I didn't give Halo and PDO a perfect rating? I bet if I gave them both 9's or 10's nobody would have come in here complaining. Too bad that's never going to happen. I'm gonna keep kicking out great reviews of new and old titles from both Japan and USA. If you have a better rating for Halo and PDO go ahead and print it and explain why your views aren't the same as mine.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-22-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:20 PM   #57
gabriel
infinity in finity

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Bottom line, Lunar and Lunar 2 are both fair (aside from pay to save in the Sega CD version of Lunar 2), fun, unique, interesting and does what it's supposed to be done in an RPG the right way. Halo is doing what virtually every other FPS has done which means if I own something else like Doom 3 or whatever i'm gonna get the same product with a different setting....
In your statement regarding Halo, one could easily replace "Halo" with "Lunar" and "Doom 3" with any random tradional RPG. In fact, many would argue that Halo is very well made, and "does what it's supposed to be done in an FPS the right way."

So basically, Lunar is like any other RPG, but in a different setting, and fun, while Halo is like any other FPS, but in a different setting, and crappy because all you do is shoot enemies. It sounds like you just dont like FPS games, and you should just say that rather than make Halo out to be a terrible game.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:52 PM   #58
Twelve
Sky is gone; 12 is HERE!

I'm sitting here in disbelief. Are people actually putting Icarus down because he's writing reviews? My goodness...let the man do as he wishes! So you disagree with his reviews...can't you disagree pleasantly instead of insulting him? He's doing quality writing here, WITHOUT pay. It's a service that he's doing. Chill out peoples. You agitators sound like you're jealous, and that's REALLY pathetic.
As I said before, Icarus, write on baby!

Old 02-04-2003, 05:06 PM   #59
gabriel
infinity in finity

Bar a certain individual, who's name rhymes with earhound, I think the "agitators" are quite justified in their criticism and make valid arguements.

In all honesty I've found Icarus' posts to be some of the most agitating posts I've ever read on this forum (not this one in particular). They just rub me the wrong way for some reason. Nothing personal, just opposing viewpoints I suppose. And as long as he can defend his arguements, more power to him.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:38 PM   #60
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Can you say "BUG TESTING"?

Athena - NES - Rating 3
It's too bad this game is as sloppy as it is because it has some very good concepts. I will explain that in this review, and that will coexist with the fundamental reasons I've never completed the game (to all those who have, hats off too you).
First of all, this is an action game by SNK (they also did another Athena, for the arcades I believe) and it plays as following ~ you, as Athena, attack enemies to take their weapons (mallets, swords, staffs, bow and arrows, etc.) and destroy stone blocks to uncover pieces of armor, power-ups, wings which allow her to fly, and even items with a negative effect (see the red pumpkin face which I describe later), make it to a boss and defeat it to move to another level. The game is designed pretty nicely, and it has some interesting foes to deal with.
Now for the negative side. It's filled with bugs and glitches. From getting stuck in one spot and having no way out (thus having to restart the entire game) to enemies appearing alongside you as you come landing into another area, stealing all your life, to items and hearts not being collected when you touch them, to being 'volleyed' into arrows shot at you by more arrows, to cheap bosses, to getting far into a stage and leaping into a hole, only to find yourself back at the start of the stage (and there's a 5 minute timer, which you can only refill by getting an hour-glass), etc. etc. And even the control is plaqued with problems: when you attempt some high-jumps (by holding up with jump or up+direction with jump) it doesn't always work. And if you get cornered by a bunch of enemies they can almost instantly take all your life, thus destroying the continuity of the enery bar, because when you get hit, you don't blink for 2 seconds like in most action games - your ass is gonna be a pinball!
Now, I made it to a fire stage awhile back (rather far into the game) and got stuck in a section of blocks with NO WAY OUT. And so I couldn't complete the game. I felt jipped. Recently, I played Athena again and it was the same BS as before. I couldn't believe it. I had gotten all the blue armor and wings, and an enemy from above me shot out something which decimated all the blocks in its path, and a red pumpkin face fell onto me and REDUCED MY ARMOR TO 1/2! SWEET! Now I'm even weaker than before, and to make matters worse I'm almost at the boss (a green guy/thing whos head comes chasing me around the screen) and I got wasted. A little later I make it to a well-designed area up in the clouds with flying lions and stuff. I wondered to myself what this game could've, should've been like and wish they re-made it with better controls and no glitches, but I think I'm pipe dreaming...
So that's about all there is to say about Athena. It has some very good, unusual concepts but cannot demonstrate them efficiently with all the problems that this game demonstrates every time you play it. For your information, this is the same Athena in SNK's fighting series The King of Fighters. I don't know what SNK was thinking with this release.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-07-2004 at 12:18 PM.