Banned

zelda 2 is good, but it isn't the GREATEST zelda game
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:23 AM   #377
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

This is MY Vice City!

Grand Theft Auto ~ Vice City - X-Box - Rating 5
Rockstar Games is, to put it simply, rockin' with their newest installment in the GTA universe. This is definitely a game series that would suck going back into 2D - no question about it. That's because the living, breathing world of GTA excels when it is presented in a more realistic way. Vice City comes in the GTA Double Pack out now for X-Box and PS2, along with GTA3. But the X-Box versions have a couple of extra goodies not available in the PS2 versions, the most significant of which is the tape player addition inside/on practically every vehicle you drive in the game.
Unlike part 3, Vice City takes place back in the, like, totally 80's man. Rad. Hey, you hear a lot of people bitching about how awful the 80's were but if you ask me the 80's, along with the early 90's, were much better times in many ways than the current state of the planet. I mean, the 80's was the date of birth for so many cool things: we got excellent movies like Big Trouble in Little China, The 'Burbs, Bloodsport, Nightmare on Elm Street (featuring the debut of none other than Johnny "I'm bad" Depp), Death Wish 3 (starring Charles Bronsan - R.I.P.), Star Wars (but the new Episodes suck - I'm not even going to debate it with any of you, so forget it), most of the best cartoons like the Saturday morning WWF cartoon, Garfield & Friends, He-Man, etc., some of the absolute best anime ever done, Mr Vampire starring the eternal sifu Lam Ching-Ying, as well as most of Jackie Chan's best films, etc. We got the birth of the NES - Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc., Sega Master System - Phantasy Star, Space Harrier (arcade conversion), Alex Kidd in Miracle World, etc., and some truly classic arcades. We got toys and cards like Garbage Pail Kids, Night Bright, GI Joe, the Voltron toys based off the cartoon (I'll never forget my huge Voltron :cool guy: ), etc. I could go on forever!
When some wild-eyed 8 foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the bar room wall and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if you've paid your dues.... Well you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that, "Have you paid your dues Jack?" "...Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Back to Vice City. You take the role of Tommy Vercetti who was just released from prison in Liberty City. Sonny Forelli, his old boss, decides that Tommy would be better off heading down to Vice City. The mob bosses in Vice City discuss his coming and quickly decide they'd rather not share the streets of Vice City with him. Later, there's a drug/money exchange taking place, but Tommy has been set up! Tommy gets fired at but manages to escape. Sonny Forelli finds out about his loss over the phone with Tommy and he gets extremely pissed but lets Tommy off the hook because, he claims, he trusts him to get back all his money and the drugs. So the game begins....
There's much to love about Vice City. Seemingly everything has been improved from part 3: better graphics (though slowdown does occur), animation, more realistic car handling (this can either be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask), you can ride motorcycles, more varied weaponry such as a chainsaw and katana blade, tons of secrets and extra missions (not really an improvement since part 3 had them as well, but who's keeping count?), more cheats (YESSS!!!), and just more of everything!! The missions are varied and you really have your options spread on the table; VERY non-linear. In fact, this is one of the most non-linear games I've ever played on any console! The story is interesting for a change, although I really don't care too much for the missions in the game, except to expose the entirety of Vice City. But at least Tommy can actually talk unlike in GTA3 (with voice acting by none other than Ray Liotta of Goodfellas fame). There's other voice actors you may recognize throughtout the game... The real meat and bones lies in your ability to do whatever you wish. Translation - cause absolute mayhem! :kill: The cops are smarter than before, and will even lay stingers out to try and give you flat tires - a new feature to the world of GTA. You can also enter buildings, clubs, shops, hotels, and other places (and not just for the purpose of saving/cinemas). Later on, you can even fly in planes and helicopters! No other game features a free-roaming city as impressive as Miami, Florida. ;)
The controls took me a while to get the hang of. You use the R button to accelerate while driving instead of a button like B or whatever which I would've preferred. I am a veteran at the PS2 versions, so I wasn't expecting the controls to change as much as they did. Luckily, you can change between Standard and Classic controls. Shooting while on foot is no sweat, but shooting while driving takes some getting used to. The right analog stick acts as your camera when on foot, and while driving it allows you to aim outside your windows with the uzi - pressing in the right analog stick allows you shoot the uzi. Talk about a pain! Using the left analog stick, you can move around and turn the car, and by pressing it in while on foot you duck. Pressing it in while driving results in honking your horn. Beep! Beep! Those are probably the biggest control changes you'll have to get accustomed to. That, and using the D-pad to switch between weapons (also used for imputting codes). You can still aim your weapon with the L button while on foot but you have to press R to fire/slash/punch/etc. The PS2 version is the winner when it comes to controls; it's just so much easier... unless you switch the controls back. Even then, there are a few differences.
The music in the game is all 80's material and they included such music artists as Judas Priest, Hall & Oates, Toto, Foreigner, Tito Puente (R.I.P.), REO Speedwagon, and a host of others. Just look at the tracklisting for the box-set soundtrack here (buy it, if you must) ~ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music The music is dispersed over nine radio stations, each with its own radio personality and commercials. In the X-Box version, there's also the ability to listen to any music you may have burned into your system; this is the tape player feature I was talking about. You can select any song from your system whenever you feel like it - an excellent addition to a good game. All the voice work sounds professional during cinemas, and the sound effects are great as well.
That's about all I have to say. Most of the fun lies in the ability to use cheat codes to raise hell in the city, in my opinion. I was gonna give it a 4 rating because I don't like the standard control set-up, but the tape player feature was just too sexy. True, this world is impressive, and it's very fun to explore. But it can get tiring after awhile, especially if you've played the life out of GTA3 like I have. But you know something? There's no other game in existence where it's as fun to drive a truck straight into a guy on a motorcycle and watch him go flying! That's gotta count for something, in my book.

Cheat codes galore ~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/code/468550.html

Aaaautooomaaatiiic!

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-09-2004 at 03:48 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 01:58 AM   #378
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

The Saturn review is coming tommorrow.... See you then.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:37 AM   #379
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
See you then.
If you can actually see me, describe what I look like!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:34 AM   #380
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

One day, I too can become a butterfly....

Lunacy - Sega Saturn - Rating 7
Known as Gekkamugentan Torico in Japan, this Atlus mystery/adventure title was underrated and largely ignored by both the game magazines and most gamers. It's their loss because not only is Lunacy probably the best FMV game ever made (better than D in my opinion) but also boasts an excellent storyline to keep you playing for long hours, guessing what's coming next. The story is the work of Kenji Takemoto who's a famous writer in Japan. It figures - even when working with an unpopular format (FMV), Atlus takes top charge of the situation and works their asses off to ensure that we, the select few gamers that actually care, reap the benefits of their labors.
Notice I said "best FMV game ever", not just "best CG FMV ever". I mean it, even if the genre isn't exactly brimming with top-notch software. "So, who's up for some Night Trap?" :blank stares with gaping jaws: "....sorry I brought it up....." That must brings back painful memories for some of you, but hey! There were a few interesting, if little else, FMV titles like Time Gal (Sega CD) or Dragon's Lair (Arcade/assorted platforms). Thank you Atlus, thank you for series like Growlanser and Shin Megami Tensei. Thank you for releasing titles like Ogre Battle and Guilty Gear when others wouldn't. Thank you for being a true gamer's company to this very day.
As this is an FMV game it becomes a necessity to include a fascinating storyline, and Lunacy delivers. You play as Fred who one day wanders into the City of Mists, searching for clues as to who he is and what his purpose is (he's an amnesiac). He lands himself in jail for no readily apparent reason and it is there that he runs into Anthony, a laidback man with no apparent purpose. He gives Fred the key to the cell and so he makes quick his escape. From here on you can wander around the city, searching for the exit to the town. Unfortunately, once you find it Fred winds up getting socked in the gut by Jade, who is a loyal servant for Gordon, the ruthless Lord of the City of Mists. Jade takes Fred before Gordon who explains a town legend about a mysterious wanderer with a crescent shaped emblem that's supposed to wander into the city and find the entrance to the City of Moons, which is supposed to be a utopia of some sort. Gordon lets Fred wander his city because he hopes that Fred will eventually find the entrance.... It's either that or Gordon will have him killed. Nice guy, eh? Fred, an amnesiac, must discover where he comes from and what his purpose is, where he received the emblem on his forehead, the secrets behind the City of Mists, and just where the entrance to the City of Moons lies, among other things -- and that's all just Disc 1.
You can pretty much go anywhere you like at any time within the city. Controlling Fred is as easy as 1-2-3: the D-pad will move Fred and pressing up while standing near certain things will allow him to investigate for items and such. The X button is used to call up the inventory screen. From there you can select items to be used or save your game in one of three memory files by selecting the diary, and you can save anywhere, anytime. Good thinking Atlus. By pressing the Z button you can call up the memory select screen which is an awesome feature, especially considering the year this game was originally released (1996 in Japan). With this feature, you can instantly access all previous cinemas for every character--including Fred--and there's plenty of them. However, you can only access the cinemas on a per disc basis; once you make it to Disc 2 you can only watch the cinemas from thereon in. So what? Just save the game before you switch discs and you'll always have complete access to all of them (considering you've found every cinematic sequence). Some cinemas are as short as 10 seconds or so and others about a minute or so. Quite a few of these will only occur if you do certain things or are at X location at some particular part within the game.
Lunacy is entirely done in FMV but you still move around like in a 3D game, and it all takes up most of the screen. Everything is done from a first-person perspective, unless you're talking to somebody or Fred is performing certain actions. Thankfully, Fred negotiates the streets and such with super-quick movement so it never takes you long to get to where you want to go unless you get lost, which should only occur for the first hour of the game.... that is, until Disc 2. You'll enter places like an inn, flower shop, houses, etc., and while there isn't a dramatic amount of places to visit you'll nevertheless find the City of Mists to be quite grand and dramatic. Of course, there is a cast of characters which you'll have many run-ins with throughout the game, including Grey, a kindly but depressed man whose daughter died because Gordon fell in love with her and she didn't reciprocate, so she tried to escape from the city but met with failiure. Since then, Grey has visited his daughter's grave every day and placed a flower on it, but everytime he does the flower disappears.... There's more people in the city such as Rose -- she runs the flower shop with her young son Hal. Then there's Hannah the inn-keeper, Mac the clocksmith, Morse the doctor, some more encounters with Anthony who seems very interested in collecting butterflies, and Zaboo - another loyal servant to Gordon. In Disc 2 there are a couple more characters but I won't ruin anything. From time to time expect unpleasant encounters with Jade and Zaboo. Watching these characters interact is half the fun, admittedly, and the conclusions to many of the questions in the game left me satisfied.
The ray-traced graphics are mostly plain-shaded polygons and you'd prefigure that it would be unimpressive coming out of 1996, but the dramatic establishment of the City of Mists is rich and haunting and, although the FMV is slightly grainy, the crimson sky which presides over the cold stillness of a city without emotion, the way the trees stand like tall dark figures, the cruelty of the evening you've come to visit that's never going to resolve its tension.... I cannot put it into words, but just know that no other place in any game in existence seems to be staring back at you like the City of Mists does. It's unreal. Character animation is good but the movements seem jerky in many instances. It doesn't really matter. The movements do help embellish the creepy nature of the game as a whole. The one really noticeable flaw is in the voices and not because they're not good (they're very good) but because the lip-synching is way off. The puzzles aren't really complicated by any means: go here at this or that point to run into X person, find Y and use it at Z location to proceed, etc. Much of it is wandering around, hoping to find the next event. You'll find items like a box of matches, flour, a watch, feathers, a rope ladder, a hexagonal piece to a mirror, etc. etc. Disc 2 focuses more on obtaining keys and saving people (if you want the best ending, as well you should). I beat it in one sitting (7 hours non-stop) and you should be able to beat it likewise.
The soundtrack, ahhhh, what joy! :bigsmile: This is one of the best, befitting soundtracks ever done during the 32-bit generation. What does that tell you? Though there aren't that many pieces in the game (like 20-25 or so), what's there is definitely impressive beyond description. The mellow ambience and beauty of much of the music you hear while you're in the City of Mists serves not only as a tool to impress the mood of the place, as well as when something urgent occurs, but is just outright terrific music to listen to. In the City of Moons (Disc 2) there are 12 towers and a central tower, and almost all of them have a unique song, one of which sounds like it belongs in a Shin Megami Tensei dungeon, which is not by coincidence as this is, after all, Atlus. It's a crime that there isn't a soundtrack available! The voices are done convincingly enough, and the sound effects are well done.
Lunacy will make an excellent addition to your Saturn library. Even if you don't care about FMV titles (like me) you should still give this game a chance. A fine effort through and through. I can't believe that I had this game sitting in my Saturn library for all these years and haven't gone near it. Somethings definitely wrong with me.

Here's a walkthrough, a code, and more reviews ~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/data/21869.html
Here are some not-so-clear screenshots ~ http://www.gamespot.com/saturn/adven...reenindex.html
Here's some more reviews and info ~ http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/software/lunacy.htm

Jade's usual farewell - "So long Stupid...." (And no, I'm not calling any of you stupid.)

Last edited by Icarus4578; 11-11-2004 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:33 AM   #381
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Tommorrow, I'm going to do something completely unexpected. You'll find out....
Old 11-27-2003, 05:11 AM   #382
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Gonna review these forums?
Old 11-27-2003, 02:04 PM   #383
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

No. He's going to review his Turkey dinner. And review all the side dishes too!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:36 PM   #384
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I've transcribed the Seiken Densetsu 3 song 'Innocent Sea' for the guitar. The song is meant to be played on a classical guitar, as you'd know if you heard it. This transcription is for classical guitar, but any acoustic guitar will do, so, if you've never heard any of the songs from this installment in the SD (Secret of Mana) series, here's a chance. It has a similar taste to the famous Francisco Tarrega song Recuerdos De La Alhambra. You must know how to play a song by trilling - in order, you strike a (bass) string with your thumb - p - and follow it up with a, m, i fingers in perfect timing, and repeat continuously without 'galloping'. Hope you know how to read tablature.

Innocent Sea ~ composed by Kiroki Kikuta
Difficulty: pretty easy
Time Signature: 3/4
Speed: Andante

C2-------------------------------------
I I I I
l--2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---0-0-0---0-0-0-l
l--------------------3------------------2------------------l
l-----------------------------------------------------------l
l----------4-------------------4------------------4---------l
l2----------------------------------------------------------l
l------------------------------------------------------------l

1 1-1-1 3 2 1 3

C2------------------------------------C4-----------------
I I I I
l--5-5-5---5-5-5---5-5-5---5-5-5---4-4-4---4-4-4-l
l--------------------3------------------5------------------l
l----------4-------------------4------------------6---------l

1 4-4-4 3 2 2 1-1-1 3

C2--------------------------------------------------------
I I I I
l--2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2-l
l--------------------3------------------2------------------l

1 1-1-1 3 2 1 3

C2--------------------------------------------------------
I I I I
l--2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2-l
l--------------------3-------------------2------------------l

1 1-1-1 3 2 1 3

I I I I
l--3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---2-2-2---3-3-3-l
l--------------------0-------------------2------------------l
l----------0------------------0------------------0--------l
l3----------------------------------------------------------l

2 3-3-3 1 1-1-1 3-3-3

I I I I
l--0-0-0---0-0-0---2-2-2---2-2-2---------------------l
l------------------------------------------3-3-3---3-3-3-l
l--------------------0--------------------------------------l
l----------0-------------------0---------4--------0--------l
l3-----------------------------------------------------------l

2 1-1-1 4 3-3-3

I I I I
l--0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0-l
l--------------------0-------------------2------------------l
l----------0-------------------0------------------0--------l

2 1

I I I I
l--------------------0-------------------------------------l
l----------0------------------0---------4--------0--------l

2 1

I I I I
l--0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0---------------------l
l--------------------0--------------------2-2-2---4-4-4-l
l----------2------------------2--------4---------2--------l

2 1 3 1-1-1 1 4-4-4

2/3C2-------------
I I I I
l-----------------------------------------2-2-2---2-2-2-l
l--5-5-5---5-5-5---5-5-5---5-5-5---------------------l
l--------------------0------------------2------------------l
l----------2------------------2------------------2---------l
l0----------------------------------------------------------l

4-4-4 1 1 1-1-1 1

I I I I
l--3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3-l
l----------------------------------------2-------------------l
l----------0--------4--------0------------------0----------l

1 3-3-3 4 2

I I I I
l--3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3---3-3-3-l
l----------------------------------------2-------------------l
l----------0--------4--------0------------------0----------l

1 3-3-3 4 2

I I I I
l--3-3-3---3-3-3---2-2-2---2-2-2---0-0-0---0-0-0-l
l--------------------0------------------2------------------l
l----------0------------------0------------------0---------l

2 3-3-3 1-1-1 1

2/3C2----------------------------------------------------
I I I I
l--2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---2-2-2---------------------l
l------------------------------------------2-2-2---2-2-2-l
l----------2--------4---------2--------4------------------l
l0-------------------------------------------------4--------l

1-1-1 1 3 3 1-1-1 4

I I I I
l----------------------------------------2------------------l
l----------0---------4--------2------------------0--------l
l2---------------------------------------------------------l

1 1 1 1

I I I I
l----------------------------------------2------------------l
l----------0---------4--------2------------------0--------l
l2---------------------------------------------------------l
l-----------------------------------------------------------l -D.C al Fine-
Decrescenco
1 1 1 1

Take your pick for the final chord/note:
#1 #2 #3
l----(2)-(5)-
l-----3---3--
l-----4---2--
l-----4---4--
l-2---2---2--
l-----(2)-----

Later

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-12-2004 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #385
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Why is this in the Review thread? MODS!!!!

Maybe if you started a seperate thread in another forum it would be cool. Delete your post and I'll delete mine!
Old 11-28-2003, 12:45 AM   #386
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Nope. It remains as this is my section and it is a gift personally to anybody that plays the guitar.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:01 AM   #387
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

eh, I would have prefered a review of your turkey dinner. But then again, thats probably cuz I dont play the guitar.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:35 AM   #388
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I think that 100% of your posts here at Magic Box should be in this thread since this is your section.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #389
Kojiro Hyuga
Employed Slave

Great job and much apreciated, Icarus! I play guitar and I'm sure to try out your tab as soon as I have time... Post More! FFVI- VII tunes, for example
Old 11-28-2003, 09:58 PM   #390
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Kojiro, thanks for the compliment. I may work on something else for December/January but my main focus has to be on reviews. Speaking of which, I'm gonna be doing Animal Crossing (GC), Max Payne 2 (X-Box), something for PS2, Samurai Shodown 2 (Neo Geo), Ys Book I & II (TGCD), etc. I'll have up my next review around Sunday or so. Tune in.