The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 08-17-2003, 08:30 PM   #241
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well then, you can always waste our time with reviews of:

NES (original and new model, if you've used it)
SNES (original and new model)
Virtual Boy (oooooo!)
GameBoy (all incarnations)
Nintendo 64

Sega Master System (and SMS2 if you've used it)
Game Gear
Genesis (Genesis 2 and 3, Nomad, etc)
Saturn
32X
Sega CD (along with Sega CD2 and maybe CDX)
Dreamcast

Playstation
CD-i
Amiga CD32
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color (was there a B&W version or something)?

We all like our time wasted, so please consider it. I'd like to see reviews of the real systems, not emulators. If I were to review the Sega Master System, for instance, I'd be upset that the pause button was on the system itself and not the controller. Someone reviewing an emulator would totally miss that. Of course the games on the system, the system specs and programming and general quality would go into the review as well (like what did you think of the sound capabilities?)

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 08-17-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:53 AM   #242
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I'm not going to review a game system, period. I don't play systems; I play games. (except, of course, for a system like Sega Master System which has a maze game built into the hardware itself. Ditto for Vectrex with its shooting game.) Systems cannot determine how good the software will be on it.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #243
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Golden oldie

Golden Axe - Genesis - Rating 5
Yesterday, I rummaged through my Genesis library and was delighted by some of the games I found. I fired up such gems as the tour-de-force Alisia Dragoon, partook of the deliciously charming Castle of Illusion, and my passion for RPGing was victim yet again to the enchantment of Shining in the Darkness, to name but a few. Ah, but time was not an affordable commodity, so I had to select something that I knew I could run through in a short breath. I selected the Sega classic Golden Axe.
Whenever I'd go to Dairy Queen to devour the obligatory chili-cheese dogs I would always take a few minutes time to play one of the arcades, which would change from time to time. One of my favorites was--suprise--Golden Axe. This hack n' slash side-scrolling beat-'em-up was super fun to play and challenging to boot. So naturally when it was released for home-play on the Genesis I just had to snatch my copy. I must've played through this game at least a dozen times. The objective is simple: take back the Golden Axe from Death-Adder, save the king and queen, and restore peace. Amazing story, yeah? I'm sure H.P. Lovecraft is shaking with proliferated fear wherever he may be.
But that matters not to a guy like myself because I'm gonna kick the living crap out of some medieval baddies cuz I'm LARGE AND IN CHARGE! So you select one of three different characters: a dwarf (literally a midget since his body is still all in proportion to its size, but let's disregard logic, ok?) with an axe whose powerful and has good defense, a female warrior with a sword whose agile and can hold a lot of magic but is the weakest of the three characters, and the typical male warrior wielding a sword who is well-rounded at everything. The game is set up like your standard beat-'em-up, except with magic and weapons. Each character has a health and magic meter and can perform stringed combos (of which there are two, generally speaking), special attacks, jump attacks, dash attacks (very useful), grab and throw enemies, ride atop large creatures like dragons which can spew fire at your foes but cannot fly, and some strange-looking lizard/dinosaur creature with a massive tail which you can use to whip at enemies, and then there's the magic which is individual to each character + amount allocated. As you progress through the stages you'll come across these midget thieves that you can strike and take items from, such as meat which replenishes health and the magic bottles for your magic meter. Your character has several levels of magic power and each level produces a different level of magic attack. The main warrior can use earth-based magic, the female fire, and the dwarf lightning. Store your magic up for when you need it most, usually when you're in a big mess with the enemies surrounding you and/or against bosses.
The graphics are passable for such a dated game. The colors are mostly dark and dirty, with stages varying in length, height, and geographical features such as caves, towns, mountains, castles, etc. and even on top of a large bird. You get the idea. Stages have small cut-scenes in-between showing where you currently are located, and sometimes, when you're resting by your campfire waiting for the night to pass you'll be ambushed by thieves whom'll try to steal your magic but it is far easier to get it all back and then some, so you never feel threatened. The enemies range from skeletons of assorted colors, to orcs, giants wielding large hammers, massive armored soldiers with matching swords, enemies riding on top of the beasts you can ride, and so on. Like I said, it looks good for what it is, but it's far from the best the Genesis has to offer graphically. Who cares? Not me.
The music is typical fanfare, with nothing really standing out. I don't think Sega really cared because the arcades are generally a noisy place, so attention to detail aurally wouldn't have mattered much. The sound effects are kinda lousy even for a Genesis, but that's not really important.
Golden Axe is a pretty fun game eight stages long. Though there are certainly better hack n' slash beat-'em-ups out there like Capcom's Knights of the Round, this is the original and so its place in gaming history has been reserved. There's difficulty adjustments and more possible in the options screen and I recommend playing it on the hardest difficulty so that you'll die for certain and therefore extend its longevity (it's not a long game at about 30-45 minutes). Continues are limited, so if you want it you'll have to earn it. If you've got the time, take it for another spin. I recommend it. BTW, there's also the two sequels; the direct sequel is great, but the third is a horrible game at best so steer clear of that turd. And, there's Golden Axe ~ The Duel, a one-on-one fighting game for the Saturn. I haven't played that one in awhile, but from what I recall it isn't that good.

Just for you ~ http://www.classicgaming.com/goldena...me/genpics.htm

Later

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-22-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:20 PM   #244
gearhound1
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
I'm not going to review a game system, period. I don't play systems; I play games. (except, of course, for a system like Sega Master System which has a maze game built into the hardware itself. Ditto for Vectrex with its shooting game.) Systems cannot determine how good the software will be on it.
no, but you can review game systems based on their respective games
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:29 PM   #245
Joe Redifer
Olé!

That's what I was trying to say. Only systems that have ceased production. For example you can't review the Xbox and give it a 3/10 because an outstanding game(s) might come out for it bringing that review way up.

And yes, you do play systems. What do you think of the controllers? The sound? The graphics? The overall ability to handle the games you like to play? The amount of good games vs poor games available, the way it was handled by the company, peripherals, loading time etc. Magazines review systems (usually when they're still in production, though).
Old 08-21-2003, 09:03 AM   #246
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I'll do two system reviews to the best of my ability, but i'm going to have to use a different rating system altogether. I'll do them tommorrow or Saturday. Be warned; these won't be short reviews.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:31 AM   #247
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Just a suggestion, you should only review systems that are "retired." Meaning, you should only review systems where more than 10 games have been released within the last year. Just a suggestion.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:00 AM   #248
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Drunken Savior
Just a suggestion, you should only review systems that are "retired." Meaning, you should only review systems where more than 10 games have been released within the last year. Just a suggestion.
Dont you mean less than 10?

I suggest reviewing n64 and ps1. or whatever, it doesnt matter.:cool guy:
Old 08-21-2003, 10:29 AM   #249
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Err...right. Less than 10. It's early....

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #250
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Be warned; these won't be short reviews.
Cool!
Old 08-23-2003, 07:16 AM   #251
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

System Analysis and Review
Sony PlayStation (PS/PSX for short) Later renovated into a smaller version known as PSOne
Ken Kutaragi is recognized as the "Father of the PlayStation"
Released in 1994(Japan)/1995(USA/Europe)

-- Overview --
Amazing 3D graphics, FMV, CD sound quality, massive storage capacity, transferable memory storage (via Memory Cards)... these were some the biggest features of Sony's entry into the home console market. Sony PlayStation promised an unparalleled, unprecedented experience in gaming unlike anything else to come before it. And just in case you don't know by now, this was to be Nintendo's CD add-on for the Super Nintendo, but Nintendo backed out because Sega screwed up their first CD system, Sega CD, and Nintendo wasn't about to take the risk of repeating Sega's mistakes. Ironically, this supposed 'mistake' just so happened to dominate the 32/64-bit console wars, defeating Sega Saturn and Nintendo64. It is the events that transpired during this generation of consoles that altered the face of gaming as we know it today. One of the biggest events to transpire was the decision by SquareSoft and eventually Enix to disassociate themselves from Nintendo and develop for Sony. This move rocked the gaming world, especially in Japan where both companies thrive and in fact have a huge hand in selling hardware. In SquareSoft's particular case, they said their decision had to do with the lack of storage capacity on the N64 cartridges which simply couldn't compete with CD storage capacity. But Nintendo felt betrayed and this event paved the way for many blastings by then-Nintendo president Yamauchi-san who attacked and arguably defamed SquareSoft's reputation by claiming them to be guilty of developing cookie-cutter games with lack of originality in the gameplay they offered (or failed to; you decide). He downplayed their decision to abandon Nintendo as being insignificant, yet it was the biggest error Nintendo made aside from remaining in cartridge format which developers believed Nintendo to be using intentionally as a means to soak up more profits per game sold (due to royalties and manufacturing costs). Sony took full advantage of this situation by developing cozy relationships with the strongest Japanese developers: Capcom, which brought home a 99% pixel-perfect home translation of Street Fighter Alpha, the birth of the Resident Evil series, etc., Konami, which released the sequel to the NES classic Metal Gear, a new and respected RPG series titled Suikoden, etc., EA, of which I think an in-depth descriptive is unbecoming (who doesn't know EA?), Namco, Sega's rival in the arcades at that time, had broght home awesome conversions of their 3D arcade monsters such as Ridge Racer, Tekken, and Soul Edge which made most Sega home conversions look tame in comparison. The RPG was considered to be a risque business decision by the US companies, particularly Sega which considered releasing RPGs to be like shooting themselves in the foot. Sony found the perfect weak spot and exploited it with none other than Final Fantasy VII, the renaissance of 32-bit RPGing. Virtually every developer in Japan had worked on PlayStation at some point, giving it a stature unobtainable by the staggered Nintendo64 and even Sega Saturn which had quite a large selection of titles, including perfect ports of Capcom and SNK arcades (much better than PlayStation I might add, thanks in no small part to the RAM cartridges which were included with many of those games). Sony's marketing campaign was simply overwhelming, and to top it off they themselves released many popular new titles such as Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Jumping Flash! 1 and 2, and much more. At E3 '96, nearing the time of Nintendo64's launch, Sony fired back with their attempt at a mascot, Crash Bandicoot (developed by Naughty Dog). For its time, it was very popular--due in no small part to hype--but in all truth is a rather poor platformer, not even coming close to approaching what Mario64 had to offer. Sega also competed for game of the show with Yuji Naka/Sonic Team's brand new NiGHTS ~ Into Dreams which came with an analog controller. Of course, Sony had to keep up to pace with their own analog controller. Although NiGHTS lost the race against Mario64 in most people's eyes, nobody would argue that it offered the most original gameplay experience of the three. In my heart, I believe NiGHTS to be a better game than Mario64 was in more ways than one. ;) Sony just kept on coming in the subsequent years: Alundra, Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night, Dragon Warrior VII, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parappa the Rapper, Klonoa, etc. etc. Simply put, the pressure Sega/Nintendo had to be going through at that point in time to keep up with Sony must've been nothing short of astronomical. For a while, Nintendo relied solely on Mario64 to sell their system, but eventually this backfired; people were sick of playing the same game and wanted more games of Mario64's calibur, a calibur which third-parties simply weren't capable of producing, and so the deck was left in Nintendo's hands. Nintendo managed to graze Sony with the groundbreaking Zelda ~ Ocarina of Time, and took a stab with Rare's FPS magnum-opus Goldeneye. Nintendo had to find a way to maintain a steady flow of incoming finances and thus Pokemon was established, selling more copies than every other game released, bar none... and is still going strong today. Sega survived on their diehard fanbase, their reputation for delivering solid arcade-to-home conversions (most of which are by Yu Suzuki), and the multitude of gamers who helped to establish the Saturn as the #1 choice for 2D gaming. Sony originally didn't want anything to do with 2D, considering it to be dated and only acknowledged its beneficial presence because Capcom released Street Fighter Alpha for the PS. In my opinion, that is pathetic; if anything, 3D gets dated, whereas great artwork will always be great. And besides, people play games for the gameplay, right? Can you imagine if there was never a Castlevania ~ SotN? Anyway, Sony has established itself as an agressive, formidable opponent in home consoles and is very much wanton in modesty when it comes to explaining why they're currently the most popular first-party in the business. Their third-party relations are strong but their ego is stronger.

-- Notable Releases (Release Date: Japan/US/UK) --
Metal Gear Solid (September 3rd 1998/September 30th 1998/February ? 1999) - Hideo Kojima's epic has received many awards including Game of the Year and Best Graphics. I bought it and enjoyed it while it lasted (two days).... amd then I returned it. It's actually not that bad in my opinion.
Street Fighter Alpha (December 22nd 1995/January 2nd 1996/May ? 1996) - Capcom's first SF game for PS was one of the best reasons to buy a PS in the first place. Featuring the added arranged soundtrack, tons of options, and even the added Dramatic Battle which pits Ryu and Ken against M. Bison at once... all added up to an enthralling experience. Home consoles didn't know the true meaning of perfect arcade-to-home conversions.... until Capcom got ahold of a Playstation (and Saturn, I might add).
Crash Bandicoot (December 6th 1996/September 3rd 1996/November 1st 1996) - Along with Blasto, I feel that the Crash Bandicoot series is just a big waste of time. Unfortunately for Sony/Naughty Dog, I don't buy hype. I buy games. Invest your time in something worthwhile instead of taking this stupid Bandicoot and spinning him through boxes (gee, how fun). Let me give you an example ~ take this game and throw it across your room. Watch as it smashes into the wall, shattering into a hundred pieces. You can thank me later.
Alundra (April 11th 1997/Janurary 7th 1998/June ? 1998 ) - For the adventurer in you there's no better choice on the PlayStation than Alundra. Simply put, Climax's game equates to epic and nothing less. In case you didn't know, Climax is the company responsible for the Genesis masterpiece Landstalker. Working Designs did a fantastic job localizing Alundra for release in the US (Psygnosis published it in the UK).
Final Fantasy VII (January 1st 1997/August 31st 1997/November ? 1997) - Here it is. The reason the PlayStation dominated the console market, particularly in Japan, is because of SquareSoft's unwavering support for Sony. FFVII ushered in the first true 32-bit RPG with a breathtaking showcase of the PS capacities. I don't even need to go into detail because if you don't already know this game like the back of your hand by now.... you're in the wrong field of entertainment baby. Suikoden and a few others came out before FFVII, but none could match it. There hasn't been a single RPG released subsequent to FFVII that has matched it, including all the sequels, both Persona 2 games, Tales of Phantasia, Xenogears... even the mighty Dragon Warrior VII!
Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night (March 20th 1997/October 7th 1997/November ? 1997) - All the avid Castlevania gamers (that's us!) were in for a treat of massive proportions when Konami rolled out the blood red carpet for what many feel to be their finest effort into the Castlevania legacy. The castle is huge and presented in the same vein as Super Metroid, the characters and enemies voluminous and rich in animation and attention to detail, the music absolutely perfect... it's no wonder it stands as one of the greatest games of all time. After those wretched Contra 'games' for PS, we certainly deserved no less.
Tekken 3 (March 26th 1998/February 28th 1998/September 1st 1998 ) - Enter... the TE-KKEN! Namco's third Iron Fist Tournament was probably their best PS conversion, featuring a myriad of extras to keep you glued to the tube. The arcade's 3D backgrounds had to go, but the characters still looked superb. Namco even went the extra mile by adding a feature that allows you to insert Tekkens 1 and 2 so you can view all the endings/cinemas, and even listen to all the music! Sweet!
Resident Evil (March 22nd 1996/March 30th 1996/August 1996) - Capcom's survival horror epic was among the most popular games released for the 32-bit systems. It's also one of the most overused, copied, formulatic games ever made. The original stands as my favorite in the series. Although the graphics are dated, back when this first came out it was among the greatest things ever to be seen. Notable mention goes to the cheesy B-movie grade voice acting, which I believe is an intrinstic part of the RE experience.

Of course, there's a vast amount of other great games that I don't have the time to get into. The PlayStation represented one of the last special moments in gaming. That special feeling died in my opinion after both the PS and SS. Dreamcast came close, but never really did it for me. I strongly feel that most of the best games exist on the 8 through 32-bit systems, and that gaming nowadays is almost entirely devoid of the passion, the brilliance, and the sheer excitement of what once was. In truth, 3D graphics can be really captivating, but no matter how good a new system is capable of looking it cannot disguise the lack of originality and thoughtlessness that embellishes so much of the current software. The PlayStation did a lot of great things and did them with exuberance. It is adorned with many of gaming's finest accomplishments.
PlayStation 2 isn't half the system the PlayStation was. You can quote me on that.

Special thanks to Moby Games for all the release date info. Check it out ~ http://www.mobygames.com/home/

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-02-2004 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:32 AM   #252
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Awesome review Icarus, even though it was only part review and mostly the whole history of the early game wars with sony, nintendo and sega. But I liked it alot more then just listing the specs and all the games for the system...etc etc. Very cool, I cant wait to see the next review of another system.:cool guy:
Old 08-23-2003, 07:37 AM   #253
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Put simply, thank you.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:46 AM   #254
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

At first, I was like, "man, I dont want to read all of this!" But it was really fun to read.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:40 PM   #255
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yes, very entertaining to read.