The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 08-12-2003, 11:03 AM   #226
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Bury my shell at wounded knee

TMNT ~ Turtles in Time - SNES - Rating 6
This is the sequel to the original 4-player TMNT arcade game, and by the time this was released beat-'em-ups had reached their peak in popularity. Not only that, but fighting games were taking over the arcades. So Konami brought this game home along with many other stellar arcade-to-home conversions such as the mighty Sunset Riders. What beat the satisfaction, the luxury of playing your favorite arcade games at home, 80-90% intact? Takara was the king of SNK fighting game conversions, Capcom was the master of arcades (for awhile) with Street Fighter, and Konami was just Konami, which means 'just awesome', besides the fact that they never brought home the Simpsons arcade game.
Nothing was as important to me as my library of games (and library of game books/magazines ). Toys, cards, cartoons, food... all great, great things, but unnecessary. After all, who needs to eat dinner when they're fighting Golbez near the end of Final Fantasy II, searching for the 96th stage in Super Mario World, or trying to find the final piece of heart in Zelda? Nobody. I'd often stare at my library of games, thinking to myself "Hmmm, shall I take UN Squadron for another spin? Or, perhaps I should play through Bonk again. Hey! Is that Goonies II over there in the corner beneath my Boyz II Men CD?" Just kidding about the Boyz II Men CD. So, what does any of this have to do with Konami and TMNT? Beats me.
Konami's sequel to the original TMNT arcade is actually pretty fun and shows off just how fond Konami is of groovy shell-kicking beat-'em-up action. They also made the TMNT Tournament Fighters game for SNES (and one for the Genesis which shall remain unnamed here so as not to remind myself of Konami's sin). Turtles in Time (or TIT for short :dunno: ) plays and looks very similar to its predecessor. The Turtles, Foot Clan, and the rest are a bit bigger and more colorful than before, and the backgrounds look a bit better. You begin by selecting a Turtle (Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, or Raphael), and you watch April reporting the news when all of a sudden the Statue of Liberty get stolen by Super Krang! Shredder intercepts the TV signal and laughs at the Turtles. And so it's off you go!
First things first, for those of you who've played through the arcade of TIT in its entirety, you should notice all the added stuff to the SNES version, such as new bosses and even a new stage! And of course, all the added options such as difficulty, control set-up, and sound tests. So the SNES version is superior to the arcade. Take that. The SNES conversion isn't 4-player though. Play controls are what you'd expect: one button attacks, another jumps, and you can either combine the buttons to perform a special attack, or, set the controls in the options to allow for one-button specials. Each time you use a special move on the enemies it takes some of your health, and you do have a limited number of continues. Each Turtle has a unique set of attacks, but Donatello is easily the most useful because of his bow which provides him with long-ranged attacks and priority. You can grab and slam enemies, throw them into the screen, and perform a sliding attack as well. As you move through stages showing the Foot Clan and whatever else that gets in your way who's their daddy, you'll come across two types of pizzas - one which restores health, and another which apparently contains 'Turtle Power', sending you off in a frenzied special attack which lasts a few seconds. The stages are varied and cool to look at, but the enemies can become a bit repetitious after the hundreth Foot Clan soldier. There are various types of Foot Clan soldier, such as the standard Foot Clan, the archer Foot Clan, etc. and there are other enemies and hazardous obstacles. The stages begin with the standard stuff, such as on top of a building and on the streets, and about 1/3rd of the way into the game the Turtles get caught in a time warp which sends them to different locations in different time settings such as a train in the wild west, on a pirate ship, and a prehistoric area. This feature of the game just seems like an excuse for Konami to use such outrageous scenery and I don't even know why they bothered because, aside from asthetics, the stages themselves are almost always played out the same way (kill 20 Foot Clan soldiers, move forward, etc.). It wouldn't have hurt to have added some other enemies, would it? On the train, you'll come across Foot Clan riding on horses beside the train. They'll jump aboard, you'll decimate them just like every other soldier, and that's that. The most variety you get is in the hazard department. On the pirate ship, there's planks which you have to be careful not to step on because they'll swing up and whack you in the face. On top of the building on the first stage, there's huge steel balls which crash down. And in the sewers, there's spiked balls you have to avoid while riding on your hoverboard. My complaint is that, aside from the Foot Clan, the robotic dogs, and a few others, that's it. Bosses are cool, like Bebop and Rocksteady, the Rat King, Baxter, etc. and there's most of the game's funfactor.
The music is pretty good and some songs are very cool, such as some of the Technodrome songs, and the best one is the hoverboard stage near the end. The sounds are almost always top-quality, and there are voices as well though some of these seem a bit muffled, such as Shredder's laugh.
This being the fourth installment in the beat-'em-up lineage of TMNT games, I expected a bit more than a cosmetic upgrade. But nevertheless, this game remains pretty fun to go through once again. It just lacks variety and replay value. This is suprising, given the track record of Konami up to that point in time. As Kurt Russell said, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Here's screenshots ~ http://http://www.n-philes.com/php/e...vulauufyfy.php

Let's kick shell!

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-01-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #227
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Could you elaborate on the lack of replay value for TIT? I thought all quarter munching beat-em-ups had virtually identical replay value?

Also, aren't those pics emulation photos? I don't recall the game being that blocky.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 AM   #228
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I don't know where they grabbed those shots from, so I double-checked the web for better screens and found a better site, so I switched the link. As for replay value, the difference between TMNT and others is that there isn't much variety in terms of what you have to destroy (not that all the others are necessarily much better). It's mostly just Foot Clan. That was the problem with a lot of the arcade beat-'em-ups. In contrast, a game like River City Ransom decimates TMNT and the like. There's several gangs roaming around, each with its own members, and there's a lot of personality to it, as well as RPG-like structure. Furthermore, for only using two buttons, you could do a whole lot more than any other beat-'em-up that I can think of. There's books you can buy which teach new techniques, and all the weapons and stuff like garbage cans, tire wheels, etc. could be used in many ways. Even the enemies themselves could be used as a weapon! Plus, all the food you eat, clothes you wear, etc. actually affect your character's stats. That's pretty darn impressive. So you tell me ~ how come an old NES game by Technos offers so much more variety than a Konami arcade? And don't tell me it's because the arcade game has to be shorter; there's still no reason why Konami couldn't have added more enemies and such to the game. They had no problem doing it with the Simpsons arcade.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-22-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:20 AM   #229
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Icarus123456789 did you reviewed Super Mario 64?
Black Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 03:22 AM   #230
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

No, but i'm going to eventually. I'm doing a review right now, and it's gonna rock!
Old 08-16-2003, 04:33 AM   #231
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Mega-goodness!

Mega Man - NES - Rating 7
Instead of the more conventional review formula I use, I've decided to share with you one of my fondest first experiences in gaming, courtesy of Capcom. everybody knows this series by now, so I can skip the routine gameplay explanations and give this 'review' better substance.
My first game rental was none other than Mega Man. It had been out for a few months and after seeing it and reading about how well it controlled in my game magazines I just knew this would be worth it. Indeed, it certainly was. I must've read the back of the game box about 3 times before getting back home. Tremendous gaming joy awaited me for certain!
The gaming bliss that stared back at me from the TV screen was nothing short of spectacular upon first viewing. Everything was filled with a personality, a charm easily distinguishable from every other game. The ability to select the boss/stage from the outset was prodigious, and the character designs were the coolest. It played like a dream. Everything came together with the desirable purpose of provoking (and maintaining) sheer fascination. It didn't just look and play great either; the mellifluous, splendid music was in proper form, and thus everything came together to establish a new breed--or style, if you will--of game. How purposeful was Mega Man? I did something that I would only do in the most important circumstances; I stayed home from school just to play it. That's the kind of game Mega Man is. It replaced my normal life with its unerring formula for greatness and, needless to say, not many games are capable of performing such a feat. So there I was, snowbound in my house, bound in my bedroom to complete the task I had placed before myself. But something was amiss -- victory repeatedly dodged me... I couldn't beat the game! I considered myself a good gamer back then, and so when I'd lose the result was often me crying, throwing a temper tantrum out of bitter frustration. Mega Man located an inner frailty, exposed it, and proceeded to maltreat it. The result was unexpected and left me loggerheaded for quite some time. It wasn't until a month or so later when I bought the game that I conquered it. Mega Man did something special; it not only provided me with one of the best first times with a game but also cured me of feigned egocentricity. I never cried again out of frustration for my failiures again, except for in Zelda II when I made it to the last boss, figured his pattern out after I had lost almost all of my life, and got soundly defeated. I learned that it is in our mistakes that we can find most of our best accomplishments, and that defeat is self-defeating.
Truly a classic, Mega Man is a game you truly cherish. It has been bettered by many of its successors (and other action titles), therefore it gets a 7. But back then it was a 10 all the way.

Here's every boss from Mega Man series ~ http://www.mechanicalmaniacs.netfirm...ersix/cds.html
Excellent Mega Man site! ~ http://www.geocities.com/chuyaa/megamm1.html
"How do I defeat ____man?" Find out ~ http://www.geocities.com/rabbi-tucker/megaman/ref.html
Good site about the original Mega Man ~ http://megamanskylagoon.net/games/Gmm1.htm
An 'icons page'? Go check it out ~ http://rodimusconvoy.com/icons.htm
Within the icons page is this ~ http://rodimusconvoy.com/icon/previews/megaman.gif
Useful site ~ http://www.gamescreenshots.com/

You're beautiful! Catch you on the flip-side!

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-22-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:08 AM   #232
Nindalf

If SM64 wont get atleast 9, im going to jump through this screen and strangle you with your mouse wire.

BTW, you reviewed any Pokemon games? Whats your take on them?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #233
Bad1
Nintend......OH!

What if he has a wireless mouse, like me.;) You should really have a back-up plan.
Bad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:43 PM   #234
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Wireless mouse? Nope. Don't have one of those.

I've never reviewed any Pokemon games... and I doubt I will anytime soon. I don't like them. They are just a convenient way for Nintendo to make fast money. Call me again when they come up with something interesting.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-22-2004 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:21 AM   #235
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

It'sa me! Malio!

Super Mario 64 - N64 - Rating 6
Now here's a game that was clearly ahead of its time. Although Nintendo didn't invent the 3D platformer, they certainly did set the standard. I was but one of the millions of people who sat entranced for hours on end with this game, exploring the small but (then) wonderful worlds which Mario64 singularly offered. And I wouldn't stop until I had collected all 120 stars, seen all there is to be seen, and do everything that could be done.
Unfortunately, time hasn't been so friendly to our favorite plumber. This game strongly relies on its presentation/atmosphere to maintain much of the gamer's interest (the graphics, and exploring the environments). Therefore, as time naturally omitted the wow factor from relevance, the gameplay stood out even more because the graphics can no longer disguise any lack of ingenuity. But of course, to say Mario64's gameplay lacks ingenuity is just downright STUPID. Sadly, the plethora of exposure has helped transform what once was an incredible game into one which is benumbed; underwhelming. Fortunately I'm still capable of recognizing the fact that what this game does, it does very well. And it does quite a lot.
Mario64 is 64-MEGS of Toadstool-hopping, Koopa-bopping, star searching fun. Yeah, that's right, Bowser has put Peach's castle under his spell. Originally, Mario was on his way to her castle because she had baked him a cake (go figure), but oh no. Big Bad Bowser just had to go and ruin things so that we can play another Mario title. In order to defeat Bowser, Mario must first collect stars so that he may proceed further into the castle. Mario64 consists of 15 worlds including Big Boo's Haunt, Wet-Dry World, Cool, Cool Mountain, etc. and each one has 7 stars, and there are many others hidden around in the castle, the courtyard, the secret areas, and so forth. The object is simple enough: collect stars so that you may proceed further into Princess Peach's castle. Searching for the stars is at the heart of the gameplay. Some of them are easy to find, some of them are downright obscure and deservedly difficult to procure. Now here's the thing -- during the first several worlds the game is pretty darn fun, but I feel that the last several worlds lack the fun-factor of the previous ones because they're not half as interesting to explore. Then again, can I fault Nintendo for doing what they always do in every Mario? In this case yes because simply seeking out stars in worlds like Tick Tock Clock is rather complacent, seemingly without any real objective other than simply collecting them for the hell of it. Put simply, most of the stars in the early worlds rely on missions and searching, while the stars in the later stages are more a matter of gameplay performance and stunts. Of course, there are lots of other things to do other than collect stars (although much of what you're doing is ultimately for the purpose of collecting them). For example, in Cool, Cool Mountain there is a mother penguin looking for her baby. So you need to find and bring the baby back to her. That's just one of many objectives you must face.
Mario64 controls rather excellently. Using the analog stick, Mario can tip-toe, walk, and run. He can crouch and from that position lay down and crawl. Naturally, he can jump, double-jump, triple-jump, jump off of walls, climb, hang on ledges, pound the ground, perform a punch-punch-kick combo, slide, back-flip, lift and throw objects, and much more. And you'll need to learn how to do everything--and everything well--if you want to obtain all the stars. The camera system in Mario64, although more refined in the 3D Zelda games, is still quite good. Lakitu is Mario's personal cameraman. Using the C buttons, you can make Lakitu (the camera) zoom in and out, turn, and come all the way in for a first-person view in which you can look in any direction. You can also transform Mario into Metal Mario which you'll find many uses for, like walking on the seabed and such. And then there's the new winged cap which allows Mario to fly! That's by far my favorite feature in the game, and so naturally it is the most underdeveloped, under-utilized as well... You have to find cannons to fire Mario out of, and using these (or performing a triple-jump) send Mario flying, as long as he's wearing the winged cap. There are some blatantly obvious faults to this game. There's a noticeable lack of enemies, and the ones present aren't really fun to fight at all. Also, while the Bowser stages are awesome and challenging, Bowser himself is a stupid boss... a stupid boss you'll have to face three times. Sometimes, the camera can be a pain because of some wall or what-have-you obstructing Lakitu's movement. I really like that name, "Lakitu", don't you?
The music is typical Mario fanfare and done quite well. Koji Kondo takes advantage of a new feature ~ the ability to add/remove from the sonic palette while the music is playing. Depending on where Mario is in certain locations, a song arrangement changes. For example, in Jolly Roger Bay, the song changes when Mario enters the water by adding another layer, or track if you will. Interesting, but not used nearly enough to stand out. Anyway, the N64 doesn't really sound much different than the SNES; the sounds are more dry and lack the shine of the SNES sound chip (created by none other than Sony ), so overall it's not really improved in my opinion. Mario's voices and all the sound effects are done just right though. "YAHOO!"
Well, that about wraps this review up. I loved it when it first was released, and still enjoy it today but to a much more limited extent. Collecting all 120 stars earns you a new message in the ending, and Yoshi will appear on top of the castle (he will give you 100 lives... like it really matters now that you've already done everything...). I did collect them all, and I'm glad I did because I don't think I want to do it again. Least, not until about a decade passes and I pull this out of the closet to relive old nostalgia.

Here's every star location (with screenshots and easy to use navigation) ~ http://www.sca.ch/mario/mariotop.htm

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-22-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #236
Nindalf

*Jumps throught the screen, strangles Icarus 28216 with mouse wire and shoves the mouse sideways up his throath*
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:55 AM   #237
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

HAHAHAHA!!!! That's great! But listen to me, with other games far improved over Mario64 (Zelda ~ OoT for starters), and better games in general with more lasting value (Yoshi's Island for one, which I gave a perfect 10), why should I give this game super-high ratings when it doesn't offer the same rewarding experience as when I first played it? Then again, these are my ratings so of course we'll not always see eye-to-eye.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 02-19-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:22 AM   #238
Kojiro Hyuga
Employed Slave

I consider Mario 64 the best game I've ever played: Not by nostalgia, but because of all important factors that matter in a great videogame- and we all know what that is.

And, Icarus, I don't agree of you comparing Zelda Oot To Mario. Two completely different type of games.

Keep up with those reviews, tough. Its good to read reviews with actuall "personal" input on them.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:22 PM   #239
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hey Icarus(insert random numbers here),

You should review the game systems themselves. Not the current ones, but the ones that are no longer supported by their companies. There are some fantastic systems out there. I'd love to see what you'd have to say about the Jaguar and 3DO. I doubt you ever used these. So you'll just have to go out and buy them.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:20 PM   #240
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Kojiro Hyuga, I compared Zelda to Mario just because I wanted to. What does it matter? They both present a living 3D world to the gamer, they both are by Nintendo on the same system, and they're both considered standards. I feel that Zelda64 (as it was originally called) is a far superior game. And that, while Mario64 may have set standards in 3D platform gaming, in comparison to everything as a whole it's nowhere near the best gaming has to offer. I've had much better experiences than Mario64, and longer lasting too. If you ask me, Super Mario World is a better game than Mario64. Then again, that's just me. If Nintendo could make a 3D Mario as enthralling as those 2D classics then I would give it a much higher rating. Think about it - Mario64's worlds are rather small, but the stages in games like Mario 3 and Yoshi's Island are massive in comparison. Although you can do more physically with Mario than in any other Mario title, that doesn't immediately make it a great game.

Joe Redifer, the only game I played on one of those systems was Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on 3DO which I didn't really have much time with, but I remember not liking the controller. If I ever play anything through on those systems (doubtful), then I'll put up a review. But it's not looking good....

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-03-2004 at 10:50 AM.