The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 03-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

BestBuy will help sync 3D for you.

Quote:
HDGuru reports that Best Buy is at it again, charging innocent customers for truly unnecessary services. This time, they're offering to sync your 3D glasses as part of a Geek Squad package to hook up your new 3D TV and Blu-Ray player. Sure, the connection services are logical enough, but the glasses sync thing makes no sense. Why? Because 3D glasses don't need to be synced.

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/geek-...levisions.html

HD Guru called three Best Buy stores. After confirming each employee received training on 3D TVs and installation services, we asked them to explain the process of “syncing” the 3D glasses. We received three different but oddly similar responses.
Blue shirt one said the glasses need to be synced with the Blu-ray player. The second geek referred to the 3D glasses needing to sync to the player via the USB port within the glasses, an impossible feat as there is no USB port on the glasses. The third stated the need to acquire the glasses’ IP address to sync with the Blu-ray player. There is no IP address for 3D glasses; they have no connectivity to the Internet. The Samsung battery powered glasses “sync” to the 3D content wirelessly via an infra-red pulse emitted by the TV.

We contacted Best Buy’s media relations department and asked why the company offers a fictional service. We are still awaiting a response.
Thats all I need. More IP addresses to keep track of.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Vegetto
Alive

lol holy crap, they're just asking for it with this one.
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

You just know a lot of people will do this anyway.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

3D glasses need batteries!?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Naoko Suki
Steak!

That's so horrible!
It's worse than Best Buy telling people to purchase Monster Cables for 100 dollars, or the HDMI cables for 60 bucks a pop. All cords and cables are made of the same wires, and have the same heads.

You think they could get sued for this at all? It is a fictional service since even the glasses instructions would say they would not have to be synced.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
3D glasses need batteries!?
Yes, because they use LCD shutters. That's right, the technology from the Sega Master System 3D glasses is coming back, but this time without the wire because wireless is technologically advanced and makes us feel like we're living in the future, but that means everything needs batteries, so the future kind of sucks.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
darren
... lol

it will suck until wireless electrisity
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Dude, no one you call in the stores knows any process. The only people who do know the process are the ones who go to your homes and do it. NO ONE IS STATIONED IN THE STORE THAT PERFORMS INSTALLATIONS.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
it will suck until wireless electrisity
you wouldn't be too far from the truth with that. I read an article about this a good while back and i just saw this video of it recently.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty
The only people who do know the process are the ones who go to your homes and do it. NO ONE IS STATIONED IN THE STORE THAT PERFORMS INSTALLATIONS.
The process of what? Turning on the TV, turning on the Glasses, turning on the Blu-ray player, popping in a disc and saying "Yup, they work OH WAIT THE LEFT AND RIGHT ARE BACKWARDS!!" **turns glasses right side up** "OK now they are synced, here's my bill"?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
Alucard

I cant wait till plumbers start charging to sync up my toilet and give it an IP address. Only then will I be able to take a crap in peace.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yah I laugh at people who pay people to hook up a TV. I can see if you're a old lady with no life and no kids to make slaves and you need some strapping young man to come rescue you while wearing tight pants and tight shirt.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
The process of what? Turning on the TV, turning on the Glasses, turning on the Blu-ray player, popping in a disc and saying "Yup, they work OH WAIT THE LEFT AND RIGHT ARE BACKWARDS!!" **turns glasses right side up** "OK now they are synced, here's my bill"?
Buyer beware?

And since I work there I know that isn't the only thing we do during a 3D TV sync. We set up the stereo system if there is one, plug in the right cables, connect any cable box and program the remote. Most people are too lazy to do even that, who's to blame BB for gaining profit for people's laziness?

You make it sound like we force this shit down peoples throats....
Old 03-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I heard some horror stories about forced PC optimization.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/consu...-of-money.html

But I do agree. People are pretty lazy. My favorite thing about people is that they'll call the retailer for tech support instead of the manufacture for tech support.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
I heard some horror stories about forced PC optimization.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/consu...-of-money.html

But I do agree. People are pretty lazy. My favorite thing about people is that they'll call the retailer for tech support instead of the manufacture for tech support.
There is no such thing as forced PC optimization, we don't charge them if the last PC we have in stock happens to be optimized. They have a choice, take it or don't. Jesus, people think that we are putting a gun to their head and forcing them to buy services. The only reason why we offer them is because they are profitable and people don't want to do them for themselves.

On a related note, it is not a retailer's job to provide tech support when if you did not buy a protection plan from the retailer you decide to call them. I see alot of people come into the store and expect us to replace their defective computer when we explicitly tell them that it is not our job to replace them.

People are dumb, simple fact. They think that they can blame their own incompetence on others when things don't go their way because they don't "understand" or simply did not "listen" when sales associates talk. (ps we don't up sell/sell more because we don't make a commition, hell we don't even get a better raise for selling more. Take this chance to go to Collegehumor.com and watch the BB manager videos. They make me laugh hard because they are mostly true.)