The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Dj Jimmi Zero

Jimmi's Reviews Revived!

I was kinda put off by the loss of one of my latest reviews and then the whole thread was, gone. But someone was nice enough to bring back my stuff and I thank them for that, here we go again.
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Dj Jimmi Zero

Soul Calibur IV - PS3

I wasn't exactly looking at this game with the best thoughts in mind, but I decided to rent it when it came out. Fighting games have shit for plot and while SCIV has endings that are almost as humorous as Tekken 5's that really isn't that important. So onward to what matters the most, SCIV.

Graphics
Very pretty, runs at 60 fps, but my problem is the slowdown that occurs. There is quite a bit of partical effects causing the game to slowdown immediately in the heat of battle. This happens a lot in the ice stage for some odd reason. I'm not sure if they were going for photo realism or not, but the character models and stages come to life nicely. My only other problem with the graphics is that some of the characters don't belong in the world of SC and believe it or not, it isn't Darth Vader or the Apprentice.

Sound
I like the soundtrack to this game a lot more than I did the soundtrack for SCIII. The English voice acting isn't actually bad in this game either, some characters like Astaroth however, sound a little too dignified. Darth Vader also sounds awesome no matter what voice setting the game is on. There is still humor found in playing the game in English though, which is the real reason that I play the game is English anyway, Darth Vader VS Tira equals funny as hell. I almost forgot to mention that you can buy the SC ost for the game on PSN too.

Game play
There is a Story mode as well as a Tower of lost souls mode(survival). But the biggest part of game play is character creation and online game play. You can alter whatever character in the roster except Darth Vader and the Apprentice, by changing the armor and weapons you also change the stats of particular characters. The same can be done with a created character except they are limited to the style you choose, but you can't use Jedi type play style, so no Darth Vader or apprentice style, there's also no way to create another lizard man. Character customization while not as open ended as SCIII's is still fun and interesting.

I really haven't experienced any lag playing online either which is a big plus compared to Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online. The game engine has changed somewhat since SCIII, it certainly isn't completely broken or button mashy as was the last two titles in the series. The Star Wars characters aren't as broken as I thought they would be, but then again Yoda isn't on the PS3 version and I've heard stories about him.

Armor destruction is new to this game and isn't too punishing as it seems and the soul gauge is also useful for critical finishes when all of a characters armor has been broken. Critical finishes aren't really useful nor do they turn the tide of a battle since that type of win is by done on very rare occasions. Besides how useless critical finishes are, my other bone to pick with this game is the guest characters. They are all move swaps of five particular characters but Shura and Ashlotte are the only two that are worth using.

Extras
There is a fair amount of unlock able armor, weapons, characters and oncoming download able content, some armors can only be unlocked by getting "Honors" or achievements as I call them.

Is it fun?
The game itself is kind of bare bones but there's still plenty of fun to be had with this title. I might buy it before it becomes budget priced because of all the fun I've had with just renting it.

Pass
Old 12-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Dj Jimmi Zero

Jet Grind Radio

Ladies and gentlemen, today I bring you a review of one of Sega's most beloved classics, Jet Grind Radio. This game sold poorly but sales really don't matter as this was one of the best games ever found on the ill fated Dreamcast. From the music and game play, this game was straight up awesome, time to review.

Graphics
This game is cel shaded and the first cel shaded game to my knowledge, the style is very comic book and fits perfectly with this type of game. There several artworks or tags in the game to compliment the style too, this of course makes sense as your job is to spray paint stuff. The character designs are very defined, yet simplistic at the same time.The game runs at a steady 30 fps most of the time, there are however times that the game will slowdown quite a bit and in some areas where a steady framerate should be. There are some clipping errors and some areas are a little boring looking, but overall the game still manages at looking pretty.

Sound
The soundtrack to the game is full energy and definitely worth jamming to even when not playing the game. The voice acting is top notch and some of the best I've heard, the characters themselves have a few voice overs that are fun and fit their designs as well.

Game play
You spray paint stuff while avoiding the cops, swat team, tanks, helicopters, etc. Yes, there are a fair amount of people and things to avoid while playing, and you have to do this as fast as you can in the allotted time you are given. Characters have different stats and give you more points depending on how well you followed the tags in the area. Some tags are one spray and others are more and require some joystick motion. You also do tricks and race against certain characters and even other gangs, you may even have to tag them to death. Tricks in this game are automatic upon how fast your going and how high your jumping as well as the character your using. My only gripe is the momentum lost when they start sending in the choppers and tanks.

Is it fun?
Anyone with a Dreamcast should have this game, it was fairly cheap back then, I don't know how much it is now. If you can't find it or afford it, pirate it, there are working Dreamcast emulators out there.

Pass
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yeah, losing reviews really sucks. Icarus4584 has it good, though, since he hasn't posted any in like 9 years.

I am still curious about Soul Calibur 4 (which is actually called Soulcalibur 4... all one word). Not "buy it" curious, but "somehow find a way to play a disposable copy for free" curious. I don't think anything can defeat the Dreamcast version or even part 2 which was also really good. Didn't care for part 3.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Dj Jimmi Zero

Tatsunoko VS Capcom

Click for full size

Of all the games to come back with I decided to just do new reviews instead, and what better than a game that might actually be worth a damn on the Wii. Tatsunoko VS Capcom is the latest entry in the VS series, and while I didn't particularly like MVSC2 or CVS2 too much due to serious balancing issues, I didn't let that discourage me from playing this game.

Click for full size

Graphics
The game uses normal rendered backgrounds and cel-shaded character models. The backgrounds may not be that detailed compared to the character models but the dynamics as far as what goes on and the time of day makes them worth looking at. The character models are really nice to look at, but what makes them stand out even more is the lighting effects and how true the animations are to the originals. There is slowdown but that is mostly due to having a lot of crap going on at once.

Click for full size

Sound
While I wasn't impressed with Ryu and Chun Li's themes, the rest of the game was otherwise spot on as far as what you would expect in music. Alex's voice is also very strange, almost too goofy sounding, like Guile in Street Fighter Zero. The overall sound quality isn't bad as none of the voices sound muffled.

Click for full size

Game play
There are three attack buttons and a Partner button, you can use an Arcade stick, GCN and Classic Controller along with the Nunchuk and Wiimote controls. My favorite is the Hori arcade stick for the Wii though, it actually works the best for me. The game is also balanced now so all those ridiculously broken combos that you can do in MVSC2 are gone for the most part. Each character has two level one supers and a level three super, there is also the "Baroque" system. This cancel little combo cancel can only be done when you've taken some damage and doing so decreases your life meter a little more.

Is it Fun?
This game is awesome and a hell of a lot more balanced than MVSC2 that much is definitely certain. While people might be put off at the fact that it isn't MVSC2 it still has plenty of luster to shine above and beyond it's predecessor, now here is hoping for a sequel.

Pass
Old 12-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Seraph
>:3

I didn't realize that was already out. I wan't to play that game so badly. It's on my list of import games to get once the Wii is offically dead.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #7
Xero
Sleep deprived...

How are the controls on the Wiimote-nunchuk combination?
Crysis.
PSN: XeroPSN, Xbox Live: XeroLive
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
Dj Jimmi Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero_0 View Post
How are the controls on the Wiimote-nunchuk combination?
The Wiimote and nunchuk is not a control setup I wouldn't recommend due to the "EO" functionality, in other words not fun, I spent most of my time playing this game with one of these.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Xero
Sleep deprived...

Man, if they just port this to the PS3 I got a nice Virtua Stick High Grade waiting... But it seems that I may have to invest in one of those if I want to import this game...

Damn you Capcom...
Crysis.
PSN: XeroPSN, Xbox Live: XeroLive
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
CongoJack
me fail english thats unpossible

Fantastic game, it also plays great with the classic controller.
CongoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Dj Jimmi Zero

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

I had actually been sitting on this review for a long time. This is one of the few Wii games I actually still have as the rest were temporarily sacrificed for the sake of my PS3 collection. Either way, Muramasa is my number one game of the year and probably the only game that I stuck with long enough this year to finish, well that and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

Graphics
There are no FMV's in this game, that of course is a good thing. FMV's are a poor representation of graphical prowess and design in this day and age and no video game should have them, hear that Square!? Anyways, this game is all hand drawn 2d just like Odin Sphere. Muramasa is also much smoother than Odin Sphere and has no slowdown what so ever. As for scenery, it only gets boring if you feel the need to explore the same area more than once. Since this game takes place during the Edo era, it only makes sense that the design is old school Japan. I've seen this era a million times in Japanese video games and cartoons, but this doesn't make feel bored in the slightest.

Sound
This is something that game developers like to half ass a lot these days, thank Jesus someone got smart and made a good soundtrack to this game. Most bosses and areas have different themes, this is most welcome as it can get old listening to the same track in many different towns. The most memorable track would have have to be the first track you hear when you start the game. Another thing that I like is how "aggressive" the music gets when you get into fights.

Game play
This is the part that Odin Sphere failed in, thankfully Vanillaware got smart and saw that heavy animation and shitty combat was not a good idea this time around. Now, this game is supposed to be an "Action RPG" and while there are RPG elements, this game is hardly an RPG. There is a story and there are things like random battles, leveling up, cooking, acquiring souls and money. But this game definitely feels more like what Devil May Cry would be if it were 2d as the action can get pretty intense. You can have three different swords equipped at a time and you will get more as you progress through the game.

One thing about those swords is that you have two different types, short and long, there are 100 of them and each have their own little buffs and special abilities to got with them. Another thing is sword breaking, a feature of the combat that makes you pay attention to the action on screen. This is probably the only annoying feature this game has but it actually forces you to smartly go on the offensive or defense when the situation calls for it. There are also two selectable difficulty's as well as a one hit kill difficulty after completing the game on the mid difficulty. Two playable characters each with their own stories, bosses and three endings for both and optional missions.

Is it fun?
This game is a masterpiece, not sure how well it sold, but this is a game that no Wii owner should be without, nor should it move to the 360 or PS3. If you don't have a Wii and want to play then get a Wii, there are other titles along with this one worth playing on the Wii.

Pass

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
Joe Redifer
Olé!

This game is pretty solid, but I never bothered to play with the dude. The sword collecting can be overwhelming as well. Gameplay-wise it is not as good as old-school 8/16/32-bit sidescrollers, but graphically it is probably one of the best of this generation. It really deserves to be in HD. It also deserves a jump button.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Dj Jimmi Zero

Final Fantasy XIII - PS3/360

I thought FFXII was a mess of a game, a good game still, but a mess overall, but if your stupid enough to jump on the nerd rage band wagon, I have no sympathy for you. Final Fantasy XIII is also a mess of a game, but it isn't necessarily a bad game, in fact, after playing FFVII, and seeing SE always do better than that game five times over, it was really hard for me to say that FFXIII was going to actually be a terrible game.

Graphics
For what it is, this game has some serious art direction, jaw dropping visuals all over, I wish they didn't use FMV's though as the game engine was more than enough. That's about the only good thing I have to say about the visuals. Now for the bad, I had this game on both PS3 and 360 and after playing the PS3 version for a month, the 360 version, looks like shit. Both versions can upscale to 1080p, the PS3 version is native at 720p while the 360 version is 576p upscaled to 720p. That technique worked with Tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4 and Alan Wake, but it doesn't work here as those other titles were only slightly downscaled whereas FFXIII was brought down to SD.

The only thing the 360 version benefits in this is that the games frame rate is very stable and almost never falters. The PS3 version however, is more or less pushing some limits in the hardware and as a result, tends to have a more unstable frame rate when the camera moves during a cut scene. The FMV's also have artifacts all over on the 360 port. Despite that, if you ignore the fact that the PS3 version is obviously graphically superior, the 360 version can still be fun to look at.

Sound
Fuck Leona Lewis, no seriously, fuck her, if there was one bad track in this game, it was the damned promo song they used for the Western localization. To hear it during the ending is actually the worst thing they could do, thank god it doesn't play during the credits. They could have done so much better with the theme song though, like FFX, FFXIII has the same composer and this same composer made one theme for the game and just remixed it for different areas and events. Now there are more songs but the theme of FFXIII and it's remixes are the more catchy and prevalent musics found in the game. Overall, the OST for this game could have been better.

The voice acting varies in quality, overall quality is good, but at times can be unbearable simply due to the corny ass lines that are used throughout. The other thing is that Vanille and Fangs' voice actors are decent at best and downright terrible during some of the major parts of the story. This is especially obvious when Bahaumut shows up and during the cut scene before the final boss fight.

Game Play
This is the part of the game that everybody has been heavily scrutinizing, I feel they did a much better job with AI controlled characters this time around. However, those that were complaining about the Gambit System in FFXII can go fuck yourselves, you actually have to have a brain to program the game to play itself, the only argument you might have is the fact that it requires far too much grinding to get what you want out of it. All of that frustration is gone in FFXIII, in fact, your real frustration will probably only come when you get to chapter XI along with the fact that you have level caps every chapter, you also can't do most of the side quests or get the final CP expansion until after completing the game.

Despite all this, I like the battle system, the AI does what I need it to do whether I intervene or not. Meanwhile, I can concentrate on directly controlling the party leader. It only stays that simple during the first four hours, after that, it's your responsibility to learn how each battle works, after playing Chrono Trigger for so long, this became something that I adapted to easily. It also turns out that there is strategy in the game and it rewards you based on how quick and smart you are on dispatching your opponents. You can win a few fights by just using auto battle, but eventually you will need to change job classes, you will need to learn when to attack, how to attack, and when to heal, defend, cast buffs and status effects as well.

You have six job classes and six characters to master all six, however, those six characters are only good at half those roles. You obtain new abilities throughout by using CP(EXP) to level your characters on what is called the CP Grid, very similar to the Sphere Grid in FFX. The other thing I like but don't like is the fact that everybody is significantly different. For example, Vanille is the only character with the Death spell, she is also one of the two Synergysts that can't cast Haste. Magic can be used indefinitely as long as you have the AP for it, each character has up to a max of six possible AP slots and abilities can cost anywhere between 1-5 AP. Depending on the character and the role they play determines the speed in which the AP gauge fills.

Summons also make a return, but they kinda suck and are only useful for when it comes time to defeat a specific monster. Sadly the biggest drawback is the fact that all the really fun stuff you get to do can only be done during the last 30 hours of the game. This was a problem that I had with both Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata, but with the exception of Eternal Sonata, the progression is still very much natural.

The other thing is when you get to Gran Pulse, aside from monsters and treasure, and with the exception of Oerba there are no real towns to explore. There is a reason though and that is because the civilization is supposed to not exist. I take that into consideration along with the few other cities you run through when on Cocoon, of course there are people to interact with. But due to the pacing of the way they decided to write FFXIII it was obvious that no matter what there was no time to spend pussy footing in an area being ransacked by the government, monsters or both.

Story
What starts off as shit hitting the fan, becomes a convoluted mess during the middle of the narrative. At some point I kept questioning what the hell I was doing and why, then I read the Data Log. The Data Log keeps up with things like enemy intelligence, characters, places, events, and most importantly, terminology. The Data Log is a crutch, both a good and bad one as the story can be confusing but part of it comes from the terminology specific to FFXIII's world and the sub plots and events that happen during or before some of the events in the game. Despite this I was entertained but it could have been written a little better.

Characters
FFXIII suffers from a severe case of introducing too many minor characters and having them appear as being extremely important. The problem here is that these characters aren't that important, but they are portrayed that way during the games narrative and you may have to take a look at the Data Log. Now then, the six characters featured in this game are dynamic, but in an almost trivial way. Everybody suffered from some sort of conflict that they brought upon themselves. Despite this, I found myself growing to like the cast as the game progressed, it also helped that everyone stopped being all bitch made.

Is it Fun?
Yes, in one way for being a Final Fantasy game, in another for being outright ridiculous or just being decent overall. Despite my nitpicks, I like this game, certainly I find it a lot more appealing than any of the titles I've played during the PS1 era. But it will never dethrone the placement FFIV, V, and VI have.

Pass

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Alucard

Pass indeed!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
darren
... lol

indeed
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote