The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #16
Alucard

Yeah, average game is still average even if its at $20. If a game isnt fun, I dont care how much it costs.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316
one things the controls are not is complicated .. who ever said that is a bit of a muppet
What I mean by that is that apparently you are accessing the menus a lot once you obtain a lot of powers to switch around between them to accomplish tasks. Back and forth and back and forth to the menu. Just what I heard.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
darren
... lol

no more than any zelda type game tbh mate .. when it comes you having to use certain items in certain place etc .. if people find zelda to have to much back and forth then theywill find this to much as well. You can assign up to 4 items to hot keys on the d-pad (up, down, left , right) you you can switch the most important ones to tho's so menu access is not bad as you can switch them quickly via the dpad
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
Northeastmonk

Great review.. I really haven't picked a game that hasn't been in the spot light of the media. Darksiders was one I was interested in, but wasn't sure about. I want my horsman/world's end presented with a sound voice, which is why I'm trusting Dante's Inferno w/ Wayne Barlow as their artist.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #20
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

darksiders is a rental - mine is already on ebay heh. Darksiders is not zelda clone although it shares some similarities. It has quite a bit of backtracking and even though it is "open world" it is actually very linear. And yeah, the jumping is too awkward.. like every other jump he is grasping the ledge as if he just made it heh.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #21
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
darksiders is a rental - mine is already on ebay heh. Darksiders is not zelda clone although it shares some similarities. It has quite a bit of backtracking and even though it is "open world" it is actually very linear. And yeah, the jumping is too awkward.. like every other jump he is grasping the ledge as if he just made it heh.
what have you ever played Zelda mate???

Darksiders clearly resembles a large scale adventure game, like the Legend of Zelda.

- You progress through by exploring the overworld
- going into massive dungeons
- which all require solving puzzles
- There's locked doors that require keys, switches to hit to open doors,
- statues and boxes that require dragging and pulling
- you can spend 30 mins on a single puzzle and not seeing anything to fight
- finding new items / skill in each new dugoen to complete it and defeat the boss
- each boss give you a new 'heart' bit
- you find bits of heart bits dotted around the world and dungeons
- x4 of the heart bits and you get a new one
- bomb plants laying around to blast through certain walls (some you use the bomerang thing to blow up)
- roam the out world on a horse (yes i know TP only)
- instead of a bomerang i have the 'spinning disc' thing

this is clearly an action / adventrure ala Zelda type stuff .. any one buying this for a God of War / Gaiden beat um up clone will be sadley disapointed. it shares more similarities with a zelda type adventure than it does with a hack un slash

from the 1up preview
Quote:
What's our take? War's savage finishing moves have me giddy for a dark, gory take on Zelda's adventuring.
from the ign review
Quote:
It draws heavily from mechanics established in the 3D Legend of Zelda games
seriously mate .. i'd go play a 3d zelda game again. Yes it has hack un slash combat .. but the game its self is clear a zelda type clone. Not that its a bad thing as its a sweet genre, and one i enjoy. So i'm enjoying this a lot right now
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)

Last edited by darren; 01-13-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #22
calintz
thank you based god

from what i've heard, it is similar to zelda, but it just doesn't "get" there yet - that's just from a couple of friends' opinions and the gt review
kinda like how 3D platformers still get overshadowed by mario games... but point for point are on par...

still on my must buy list, just not now..,
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #23
Alucard

Actually I never thought about zelda while I played it. It reminded me of..uh..prototype style. Only without the cool powers and openness. But I never once thought about zelda.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #24
calintz
thank you based god

i just realised - this game reminds me of soul reaver
Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #25
Vegetto
Alive

i'm enjoying it so far
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 AM   #26
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
from what i've heard, it is similar to zelda, but it just doesn't "get" there yet - that's just from a couple of friends' opinions and the gt review
kinda like how 3D platformers still get overshadowed by mario games... but point for point are on par...
thats basically how i feel about it. reading a few dev interviews its clear they are 3d zelda fans and have used it as the template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Actually I never thought about zelda while I played it. It reminded me of..uh..prototype style. Only without the cool powers and openness. But I never once thought about zelda.
really ?? i've gone direct from playing prototype to this .. and they are nothing like each other .. prototype doesn't have dungeons .. Darksiders is a dungeon game, prototype does not have one single puzzle filled dungoen. Prototype is a sandbox GTA type game.

how far have you played into Darksiders .. are you serioulsy saying the first dungeon that had

- bomb plant things
- bomerang type stuff (lock on three item to open door etc)
- find item to clear dungoen
- locked doors that need to find the key

not remotely like a zelda style action/adventure .. ??? ..

other than i played them both on 360 i'm seriously struggling to see any similairities between this and prototype mate
Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #27
Alucard

Well ok, I'm thinking of it a little differently to how you are. I see the similarities, but when I started playing it I didnt think of zelda. ITs not like zelda is the only action dungeon adventure game out there. Mind you zelda put me to sleep each time for some reason.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:24 AM   #28
darren
... lol

i know zelda is not the only action adventure game .. its my fav genre of game .. i play a ton of them ..

which is why i'v been saying a zelda style action adventure .. coz the dungeon exploration of the game which is the biggest part is clearly ripped right from a 3d zelda type of thing.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #29
CongoJack
me fail english thats unpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
i just realised - this game reminds me of soul reaver
At about 80% through and I'd have to agree with that. Couldn't put my finger on what game it reminded me of till I read that. Definitely more combat focused than typical zelda/adventure games. The puzzles could be harder. Only real complaint I have Shaselai has already mentioned; War doesn't seem to be able to truly make most jumps, he's always ledge hanging.
CongoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #30
calintz
thank you based god