The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 12-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Rubeus

BREAKING: Judge rules Nintendo ILLEGALLY protects systems’, should be like WINDOWS

Looks like this may hit Microsoft and Sony soon for locking out their respective systems.

Quote:
BREAKING: Judge rules Nintendo ILLEGALLY protects systems', should be like WINDOWS!!!

We have just heard that Nintendo has today lost a major court case against the Divineo group in the main court of Paris. Nintendo originally took the group to court over DS flash carts, however the judge today has ruled against Nintendo and suggested that they are purposely locking out developers from their consoles and things should be more like Windows where ANYONE can develop any application if they wish to.

The ramifications of this are huge, as it indicates that flash carts are actually legal. Moroever, it could have bigger implications for developers and the like because Nintendo is deemed to be 'illegally' protecting their system by locking users out. Therefore, developers should not actually require separate development kits and should just be able to develop applications as they wish on retail versions of Nintendo's consoles.

And on a final note, this truly was a HUGE court case, up in the main court of Paris France and seems likely to be relevant to the whole of Europe.

Essentially, if people have to 'hack' the system and use Flash Carts to do develop, then it's all fine because Nintendo has left them with little other choice and the system should not be protected in such a restrictive way.

Full court documents will be available soon.

http://team-xecuter.com/breaking-new...-like-windows/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Seraph
>:3

Wow....

Nintendo makes a console, people use unofficial cartridges to pirate software on it, so Nintendo blocks out all cartridges not approved by them, then a judge tells Nintendo they are breaking the law? Society scares me more and more every day.

I can't wait to see what our pro-piracy community here has to say. Will it be the usual juvenile justifications such as "they have too much money anyways" or "their games aren't worth buying". Or hey, come on, somebody humor me with a "what about the FANTASTIC homebrew community!" argument.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Alucard

ROFL
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Can I be the first to say that you can blame this on the french?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Nintendo is too rich anyways, they have enough money and the homebrew is better than the official games anyways!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
darren
... lol

be like windows??? BSOD's in coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Wow....
I can't wait to see what our pro-piracy community here has to say. Will it be the usual juvenile justifications such as "they have too much money anyways" or "their games aren't worth buying". Or hey, come on, somebody humor me with a "what about the FANTASTIC homebrew community!" argument.

we are all doing the happy dance !!!!

£20 for the r4 was the best £20 ever spent ..... LOL
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Nintendo makes a console, people use unofficial cartridges to pirate software on it, so Nintendo blocks out all cartridges not approved by them, then a judge tells Nintendo they are breaking the law? Society scares me more and more every day.
Well to be fair, this ruling doesn't make piracy legal, it's saying that (in their judicial opinion) Nintendo used illegal means to deter piracy. Kinda like how I can't just up and cover my front yard with landmines to deter thieves. Everyone's gotta obey the law. (Insert silly french laugh here)

I really have no personal opinion on this ruling. I think I need more info. I tried looking for another report on this ruling and have failed so far...

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Is the judge trying to destroy the videogame industry? Clearly he does not remember what caused the videogame industry to crash in the early 80's. Anyone could develop what they wanted and the result was a shit-ton of crap-ware. Nintendo comes along with their NES and says "Only licensed developers can make games for our systems!" The industry SOARED like never before and hasn't had as much as a hiccup since. While I think that Nintendo's policies were way too strict back in the NES days (telling companies how many copies of a game they could make, that they couldn't port their games to other consoles, etc) they did have the right basic idea, one that has been employed by most console manufacturers ever since.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
lawman
World Heavyweight Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Is the judge trying to destroy the videogame industry? Clearly he does not remember what caused the videogame industry to crash in the early 80's.

The judge is French. He's probably way too busy constantly surrendering to even know what a video game is.

Or maybe, you know, he's probably never played a game in his life and therefore doesn't know anything about gaming in the '80s. That one sounds a little better.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
SuperAngelo64
Hourglass

Well, on one hand I can see where this is a little strange.

On the other hand, isn't the official name for the DS the "Developer's System"? What happened to that? When Nintendo was first pushing the DS a few years ago before release they wouldn't shut up about how easy it would be for anyone to develop for it.

I know people bash the quality of homebrew apps but in California there are actually college classes entirely dedicated to designing apps on the DS.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
camac
I feel so good.

This happened in France. Kind of hard to care, I don't see this affecting us anytime soon.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Wow....

Better than the high and mighty, high on your horse reaction.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Reality
Sin and Punishment

R4s for everyone!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

I'll take five!

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
Alucard

I think its more that the R4 should be allowed to stick around mainly for the people who develop games but dont sell them. I mean -every- system has a way to create games on it. But not every game gets to be sold. If I put my effort and managed to make a fun little platformer on the DS, I'd like to stuff it up ont he net for people to play with it. Like indie devs do on the PC. My platformer wouldnt be good enough to make money selling, but it would be interesting for people to try out and me get some feedback into how I can make it better.

Look at Valve. Half their development crew are ex indie devs who valve loved and hired. If the PC had been locked off these people would probably never had been working and some games we love today would not have been released, leading to a domino effect that would alter how certain other games evolved in the market. Nintendo will still make plenty of money from developers who sell games on their systems.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote