The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
Yoshi Girl
(mandy)

Mandy's Review Thread

I'm doing reviews on the site now, so here I will link it here when I post new ones. I know no one cares about the site, but whatever I will pretend that you guys are supportive.

Civilization Revolutions
XBL: Mandiford (send me a message so I know who you are)
Yoshi Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Alucard

BOO for reviewing the console version!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Yay for not doing the PC version!

\(^^)/
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Alucard

Kill yourself again!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
SuperAngelo64
Hourglass

\(^^)/
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Yoshi Girl
(mandy)

Beatles Rockband

Unless you live in a complete media blackhole (which you don't, since I see you're on the internet right now), then you're probably aware The Beatles Rockband recently hit the market, and baby boomers everywhere are stealing their children's consoles. There's been a lot of hype surrounding this edition of Rockband and not everyone is happy with commemorating such a prolific band through a video game. Musicians everywhere are groaning about how plastic guitars and wannabe singers are ruining the aura of The Beatles. Others are more than excited to be able to play, share and experience The Beatles through a new medium.

If you're familiar with the Rockband or Guitar Hero franchises, then the general gameplay is nothing new. What is new is vocal harmonizations, which is awesome. On my first play through I played guitar or bass, but constantly found myself singing along. Songs range from one to three part harmony and although you're not required to have two or three singers, you do get extra bonuses if you provide the harmony. Star power is now called "Beatlemania" and results in high-pitch, screaming girls. The first few venues are live concerts, similar to the previous editions' scenarios. In the form of true Beatles history, later in their career the touring stopped and they only recorded in the studio. During these sequences, the background results in several LSD induced clips, which became more of a distraction than anything. The Rockband version of "I am the Walrus" includes all of The Beatles wearing walrus suits and making you wonder if the producers had thing for furries. WTF were they thinking with that one? It was borderline creepy. I also didn't get the challenges, which esentially are just a setlist of each chapter, and you need to five-star every song to get the maximum achievement. But wait -- I just played the entire series and five-starred all the songs when I went though story mode. I don't get it.

When I first heard about The Beatles Rockband I was worried they guitar riffs would be too easy. They were. Albeit I still am not playing on Expert, I did five star several songs on Hard, and that doesn't happen for me usually. I also played bass on Expert, which was a first for me. Drums are a whole other story: I still can't play them. Granted the guitar progressions rise in difficulty as the game (and The Beatles) grows, the real challenge and experience is in the vocals. The dissonant harmonies can be hard to find on your first attempt and unless you've had experience in choral or other vocal work, having others singing harmony can throw off the lead singer as well.

As for song selection, I was pretty underwhelmed. I'm no crazed Beatle fan, but I know my fair share and although I'm leaps and bounds ahead of my roommate (who didn't even know a) who John Lennon was and b) that he was assassinated) I found myself wondering where some of the greatist hits were. Among many of my favorites, "Hey Jude" and "If I Fell" were both left out. "If I Fell" isn't exactly one of The Beatles most popular songs, however; the vocals are amazing and it would have been an excellent selection for a vocal feature. I am hoping it will come out on DLC soon. Speaking of DLC, right now the only song that is available is "All You Need Is Love," with a portion of the sales going to charity. Not hip to Beatles history either? Don't worry, each time you unlock a photo (by earning 3 and 5 stars on songs), you get a bit of history.

Overall, I am pleased with The Beatles Rockband. With it's familiar tunes and popular fanbase, it's a guarenteed hit at parties and can cater to a wide range of ages, likely never seen before as far as rhythm games go. Will The Beatles Rockband bring back some of the hysteria that surrounded them in the 60's? Probably not to that extent, but it's certainly fun to pretend.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

I really want this game. George Harrison is one of my personal heros. The quality that Harmox put into this game is more like a personal loveletter to the Beatles (and their fans) than a jump in game design, but whatev.' I have moved on from being our band's guitarist to our singer so I'm way excited to sing all these songs.

Nice review!

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi Girl View Post
Will The Beatles Rockband bring back some of the hysteria that surrounded them in the 60's? .
i don't think it was ever intended to .. just another form for the beatles money making machine creaming even more money from the zillions of fans
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Well, the RockBand game and the remastered set being released on 9.9.09 is definitely recapturing some of the magic. The Beatles are pretty serious about their image and control of their catalog. A game like The Beatles Rock Band isn't exactly just a huge setlist of songs, it's a complete retelling of the Beatles history as a band through their music.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
darren
... lol

totally agree is a recapturing of the magic .. and tbh i can't . i love the beatles .. but forme its for the massive existing fan base .. i will love to know how many people that love the beatles that have never owned a system before will rush out to buy this with a system just because its the beatles, i suspect quite a few

.. and as for Mandys comment re tmissing songs from the set list .. its rock band .. they left great tunes out on purpose .. for the dlc .. they are not going to miss that trick
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

I just thought that if Guitar Hero had got the Beatle's catalog (LOL, it would have never happened because Dhani Harrison loves Harmonix, not Neversoft), I could have sung "Happiness is a warm gun" as Cobain...

Quote:
.. and as for Mandys comment re tmissing songs from the set list .. its rock band .. they left great tunes out on purpose .. for the dlc .. they are not going to miss that trick
Agreed.

Games I'm hyped for
Old 09-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Yoshi Girl
(mandy)

I know, but it's my review and I can bitch if I want to

(seriously though, no Hey Jude?)
Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Don't you find it odd that Paul McCartney wrote a song to the abandoned son of John Lennon's first marriage and John actually sat in for the music video?

Also, it's an epic win if they have 'Here Comes the Sun' and 'Norwegian Wood.'

Games I'm hyped for
Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi Girl View Post
I know, but it's my review and I can bitch if I want to

(seriously though, no Hey Jude?)
you could say seriously though , no "insert any one of 100's of beatles song"

DLC is going to be a stupid money spinner for that exact reason with beatles tracks .. everyone has favs that will not be in the games default tracks that will all eventually show up on DLC
Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I was wondering if we can just download the tracks and play them on regular Rockband, but it does not seem like it's going to be optional.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote